Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Google voice with obi200
Previous  1  2

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:19 am
Boca00 wrote:
Ok great!
I believe you can't just connect a regular Google voice number to obitalk. I tried but was only able to port a cell number to Google voice and use that number. In Dan Deal's post about obitalk, he mentions you need to do that.

If someone has done so using just a regular Google voice number, I would love to know.

I’m using my original landline phone number (that I’ve had the past fifteen years) through obitalk. I don’t remember exactly how I did it but I do remember that I had to port it from my original provider to google (meaning I turned it into a google voice number) and then I was able to connect it to obitalk. I was only able to do it with the help of obitalk’s customer service and I recommend trying to get through them (I believe I was in touch with them via email).

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:29 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I’m using my original landline phone number (that I’ve had the past fifteen years) through obitalk. I don’t remember exactly how I did it but I do remember that I had to port it from my original provider to google (meaning I turned it into a google voice number) and then I was able to connect it to obitalk. I was only able to do it with the help of obitalk’s customer service and I recommend trying to get through them (I believe I was in touch with them via email).

Good idea. Yes, a landline number should work as well. Just not a free Google Voice number.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:05 am
I have a regular GV number

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:10 am
Basically, over 15 years ago, I worked on creating some of the first VoIP systems for residential and commercial use, creating the code to connect and run the systems. I ported my landline number at some point you that system, I think when I moved apartments and my number wasn't local anymore... When I moved 500 miles away, I kept that number but wanted a local number in our new city. I got a free one with Google voice and I forwarded it to the server with my old number so both my GV and original number worked for incoming and I hacked it that usually my GV number would be caller id. I no longer with for that company and about 6 months ago, I connected the Obi to my GV number and stopped the forwarding and disconnected my original number. So my free GV number is about 6 months years old, but I only used it with the obi in the past 6 months, but I didn't have any problem at all connecting it. I also signed up for an e911 service since I no longer am on my old system that has e911 integration.

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:27 am
so ill try to call obi tomorrow and see if they can help me why im not able to connect.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:41 am
I use a simple google voice number with my obi device. I pay separately for e911 service which costs almost nothing.

No phone bills ever.

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:10 pm
thank you so much everyone. its working!! I disconnected the wires and reconnected.
I really appreciate the time everyone took to help me out. clearly im not very tech saavy Can't Believe It

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:19 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Good idea. Yes, a landline number should work as well. Just not a free Google Voice number.

But I ported my landline number to become a free google voice number (I don’t pay anything for phone service any more and I used to) and that’s the number (the free google voice one) that I now use with my obitalk

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:27 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
But I ported my landline number to become a free google voice number (I don’t pay anything for phone service any more and I used to) and that’s the number (the free google voice one) that I now use with my obitalk

Yes, I did the same with the cell number. I ported it to Google Voice and now I don't pay for a phone line.

Happychick- glad you figured it out!

esther11

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 5:02 pm
I followed this video when setting up my account and it was really helpful.

https://youtu.be/jJFGtpc7rno

(I see you figured it out, but maybe someone else can use the tutorial!)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics