Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Looking for math tutor for high school boy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:56 am
My son who is eleventh grade is looking for a math tutor to help him prepare for the SAT.

Does anyone know where I can find him one and how much it would cost?

It doesn't have to be a professional career tutor. Only someone who can teach him basic math from algebra on.

princessleah

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:26 am
OP my father does math tutoring (he has a PhD in a mathematics field) and has taught boys for the regents in a mesivta starting from scratch.
PM me if you like. He’s not cheap though

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:43 am
princessleah wrote:
OP my father does math tutoring (he has a PhD in a mathematics field) and has taught boys for the regents in a mesivta starting from scratch.
PM me if you like. He’s not cheap though

He seems overqualified for this. DS would probably be better off with a recent high school graduate

What is the ball park of what he charges?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:57 am
The college test prep services such as Princeton Review or Stanley Kaplan have individual as well as group instruction. PR guarantees a certain increase in test scores or at least they did when I had children undergoing SATs

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:00 am
My mom. But she’s not cheap either

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:05 am
For those posting that their parents aren’t cheap, how much do they charge? I’m trying to get an idea

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:11 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
For those posting that their parents aren’t cheap, how much do they charge? I’m trying to get an idea

I’m not sure, but the last I checked was $75. So might be $80 or $90 for an hour by now. I do know someone who is much cheaper though, because she’s to nice to charge more.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:24 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The college test prep services such as Princeton Review or Stanley Kaplan have individual as well as group instruction. PR guarantees a certain increase in test scores or at least they did when I had children undergoing SATs

They're definitely worth checking out. But my impression is that these services are aimed primarily at children who have already been taught the material at school, but need to be refreshed on the material and also taught test taking strategies. I would be very careful to do specific checking out before using them for a child who had never been taught algebra and beyond in the first instance.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:28 am
OP, I recommend you give your son a timed practice SAT at home to see what he's starting with. His performance will help you narrow down what depth of preparation he needs.

princessleah

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He seems overqualified for this. DS would probably be better off with a recent high school graduate

What is the ball park of what he charges?

He charges 125/hour.

If your son has never learned any algebra, I think he will need more than a recent high school graduate. If he just needs a review, that should be fine.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 4:34 pm
If you don't specifically need a Jewish tutor, check wyzant.com where you can find some really qualified and talented tutors for a fraction of the frum price. We got DH a (Jewish, non-frum) writing tutor with a master's from NYU for $30/hour, and she taught him a ton.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries