Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you give MM to men? and DH to women? (if not home)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:47 pm
Is there a problem with you giving mishloach manot to dh's friend if dh isn't home, or if dh gives to one of your friends if you're not home? or ds giving to one of dd's friend if dd wasn't home when her friend came or dd to ds's friend? If you're yeshivish, what do you do in these situations?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:49 pm
In what way can this be a problem?

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:50 pm
I give it to him, no problem. It’s technically from my husband and I’m his shaliach.

Shabbosiscoming

In the situation you posted, I would give it and say "this is from DH," as an example.

amother
Cobalt

DH and I will accept from/hand over to in these situations if the other is not around. We are yeshivish.

Rappel

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:56 pm
Yalkut Yosef says ideal to put it down rather than hand it directly (looks like kiddushin), but you can as you choose.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:09 pm
Dh and I give to families and as a family, not individuals. So even if we're giving to a single friend of mine or his, we're giving as a unit. So no issues.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:13 pm
I'm chassidish. If DH friend comes when he's not home, I give him a shalach manos, and vice versa. I never thought it's an issue. We give from the family.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:41 pm
My husband goes to give out MM. if a woman answers the door he certainly gives it to her. We are far from yeshivish but I didn’t realize this was an issue is some communities

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
. We are far from yeshivish but I didn’t realize this was an issue is some communities

Its not.
Im yeshivish, have never encountered this situation

Simple1

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:55 pm
You can give and accept as a shaliach.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 5:03 pm
Rappel wrote:
Yalkut Yosef says ideal to put it down rather than hand it directly (looks like kiddushin), but you can as you choose.

When faced with poskining halacha from random obscure seforim or asking a Rov
I always choose the former... Mad

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 5:05 pm
I give to my male boss.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 5:06 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
When faced with poskining halacha from random obscure seforim or asking a Rov
I always choose the former... Mad

Have you asked a rav.
Dh always gives his boss. The year his boss was in aveilus my DH was told by our rav he cannot give the wife instead.

(The Sefer is based on the teaching of rav avadia Yosef. Definitely not obscure. We asked a yeshivish litvish rav)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 5:51 pm
Rappel wrote:
Who is the yalkut yosef?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who is the yalkut yosef?

Yalkut Yosef isn't a "random, obscure" source as someone up thread called it. It's piskai halacha from Rav Ovadia, generally followed by yeshivishe american Sephardim.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Yalkut Yosef isn't a "random, obscure" source as someone up thread called it. It's piskai halacha from Rav Ovadia, generally followed by yeshivishe american Sephardim.
I didn't specify, but what about Ashkenazic poskim?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:02 pm
I was told that even though I can purchase an english M Brura and understand it perfectly its still preferable to ask a Rov

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:31 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Have you asked a rav.
Dh always gives his boss. The year his boss was in aveilus my DH was told by our rav he cannot give the wife instead.

(The Sefer is based on the teaching of rav avadia Yosef. Definitely not obscure. We asked a yeshivish litvish rav)

Exactly. Yalkut Yosef is a very mainsteam sefer to a lot of Sefardim- not at all random or obscure.

Woman of Valor

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:09 pm
It is not appropriate for men and women to gift each other, it is a halachic problem. However to give from the family, or to a family is fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics