Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD developing at a really young age..
Previous  1  2  3  Next

imaima

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD is just 9 but really can use a bra already. I feel like she’s too young, but her clothing really doesn’t fit normally. Any ideas?!

You obviously get her whatever she needs and tell her about period.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any recommendations for light starter bras?

The Lingerie shop sells undershirts with a built in starter bra for $10. My kids are in it for a good year or two or even more until they graduate to a regular bra. I’d suggest you try one for her.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:25 am
I thought that 9 y.o. was a youngest normal age for period. When my dd just started developing at 8 and a half I was alarmed but my gyn said it was fine. She got her period shortly before her 11th bday.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:31 am
Wow, 9 is really young! Please speak to her pediatrician. Also, what flower said above. They make undershirts with built in training bras. Use that if you're concerned about dd being uncomfortable with a bra at camp.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:57 am
My dd just turned 8 and has been wearing soft cotton training bras for almost a year now.. also started developing very early. Spoke to her pediatrician about it he said some kids develop quicker than others...

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:07 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
My dd just turned 8 and has been wearing soft cotton training bras for almost a year now.. also started developing very early. Spoke to her pediatrician about it he said some kids develop quicker than others...

Age 7 is barely out of diapers. Please speak to an endocrinologist. Developing this early can do real psychological damage to a child. I'm not sure pediatricians (especially male) consider that factor too much when they wave away these concerns by saying girls are developing early these days. There are serious long term effects.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:15 am
groisamomma wrote:
Wow, 9 is really young! Please speak to her pediatrician. Also, what flower said above. They make undershirts with built in training bras. Use that if you're concerned about dd being uncomfortable with a bra at camp.

I do understand that it is not easy for girls. Along with period talk, I had to explain to dd how attraction works, that boys or men may act inappropriate with her, that she needs to stay very private.
It ia hard for her to remember to stay extra tzniyus.
Is there any other psychological damage that I am not aware of?

I had a teacher in the 90-s who also started her period at 9 and she was a nirmal height. Not sure if this correlation between height and period is true. I definitely grew more after I got my period.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:29 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I do understand that it is not easy for girls. Along with period talk, I had to explain to dd how attraction works, that boys or men may act inappropriate with her, that she needs to stay very private.
It ia hard for her to remember to stay extra tzniyus.
Is there any other psychological damage that I am not aware of?

I had a teacher in the 90-s who also started her period at 9 and she was a nirmal height. Not sure if this correlation between height and period is true. I definitely grew more after I got my period.

Height has nothing to do with the age a girl gets her period. All my girls continued to get taller afterwards (and are still growing steadily).

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:01 am
Dd started developing very early too. She started wearing a training bra by age 8, grew pubic hair by age 9. Dr told me I must speak with her about period. I did with minimum detail, just she knows what to expect, to come tell me, showed her pads etc, made no connection to babies and future pregnancy. She’s so young it didn’t occur to her to make any sort of connection. ( she’s 10, still didn’t get it yet).

Dr told me it’s early but still in normal range. Girls can safely begin puberty at age 8, and boys after age 9. I don’t remember why if too young they give medication but I remember googling it last year. Doesn’t sound like you dd fits the bill for too early though that would need meds.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:16 am
Please don't give her Lupron!

My doctor gave it to me for another hormonal condition, and it made me absolutely crazy and suicidal. It was so bad that I had to be put on very high doses of estrogen in order to level out.

Lupron is the same medication that they give zex offenders in order to chemically castrate them. I would never in a million years do that to a child.

There are far worse things in the world than being a little on the short side.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

My doctor gave it to me for another hormonal condition, and it made me absolutely crazy and suicidal. It was so bad that I had to be put on very high doses of estrogen in order to level out.

Lupron is the same medication that they give zex offenders in order to chemically castrate them. I would never in a million years do that to a child.

I gave my daughter Lupron (injectibles).
I thought long and hard.
She started developing at 8. Projected to start her period at 9. She was 3'8". The endocrinologist said that based on bone scans and family history, if she got her period at 9, her permanent height would be around 4'6". That's not a little short. That's a midget who would suffer her whole life. (I'm 4'10" so I know about being short).
Additionally, we were already dealing with bullying, classmate teasing, no friends and anxiety. A 9 year old menstruating would have destroyed her.
We gave her the Lupron from age 9-11. Yes, she had some mood swings. Yes she had weight gain.
But she reached 4'11", got her period summer after 6th grade, had a chance to address the bullying and anxiety and be a child and was ready to deal with the physical and emotional stuff of periods and hygiene.
She's 17 now, and I'm grateful I chose this choice.
I daven every day that there are no long-lasting affects.
But at that point, it was what I needed to do.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Bit of a personal question-- only asking because you've mentioned it before on Imamother-- do you feel that Lupron may have affected your fertility?

If it's too personal you don't have to respond.

I'm sorry you had to go through that emotional and hormonal turmoil Sad

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:53 am
groisamomma wrote:
Height has nothing to do with the age a girl gets her period. All my girls continued to get taller afterwards (and are still growing steadily).

It could be your specific daughters grew a lot after getting their periods but IN GENERAL (and according to drs etc), the typical girl grows about 2 inches after onset of their period. Of course there can be exceptions (as your daughters are) but they are still considered exceptions.

I work at a sleepaway camp and used to be surprised to see campers in the youngest bunks bringing training bras to camp. I’ve been there many years and don’t remember that happening years ago but it certainly does now. It’s not just that it’s more necessary now (meaning the age of onset of puberty has slowly moved down over the years), but it’s also just more “in” and acceptable (so there are always some 9 year olds who totally don’t need it but I guess just want it? bringing training bras too)... when I was a kid it was “embarrassing” and many of us we pushed off wearing a bra as long as possible. Obviously there are many who still feel that way but it’s way less common now IME.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is my first girl so I’m a bit clueless. I don’t want her to be embarrassed in camp if she is the only kid her age wearing a bra. Is it very unusual for a third grade kid to wear a bra?

I don't think it is anymore.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:26 am
groisamomma wrote:
Age 7 is barely out of diapers. Please speak to an endocrinologist. Developing this early can do real psychological damage to a child. I'm not sure pediatricians (especially male) consider that factor too much when they wave away these concerns by saying girls are developing early these days. There are serious long term effects.

What are the serious, long term effects?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:29 am
Is there really a link between early puberty and height? Never knew that.. I also developed early- though not as early as DD and I’m 5”8..

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:30 am
Longterm effects of meds you should discuss with indeed an endocrinologist asap doing ''research'' on Imamother is not doing any good. Go. To. The.Doctor.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD is just 9 but really can use a bra already. I feel like she’s too young, but her clothing really doesn’t fit normally. Any ideas?!

I needed a bra at nine, got my period at 11. I’m 5’5. It’s early, but it’s well within the realm.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:15 pm
flowerpower, is the undershirt that you're talking about?

https://thelingerieshopny.com/......html

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
flowerpower, is the undershirt that you're talking about?

https://thelingerieshopny.com/......html

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse.....ntent

Try this. Size large and up have a shelf bra. Size large is officially a size 10-12, but it runs tight and fits my daughter, who wears a size 8, well. I just bought it for my girls and they love it. And it's only $5.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children