Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Best hair care products for dry, coarse, tangled Hair

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 3:22 pm
Dd9 has beautiful long blond hair. But it’s a nightmare to take care of it. It’s an interesting texture, very thick, slightly wavy, kind of coarse, and very easily tangled, probably due to the fact that she HATES brushing it. The type of hair that looks best a week after it’s washed, though we can’t go that long in between because her scalp starts smelling. I’m thinking maybe we’re using the wrong type of shampoo? Can anyone recommend something? Shampoo, conditioner, detangler? Bonus points for cleaner more natural products.

ineedalamborghi

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 3:45 pm
Moroccan oil,
it's a 10 hair products,
Lots of thick conditioner, maybe even a deep conditioning hair mask once in a while

SingALong

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 3:53 pm
Myself and 2 daughters have thick coarse hair. I highly recommend leave in conditioner. That’s besides using conditioner in the shower as well. It’s really the best way I found to keep the hair silky and smooth. I’ve used various brands over the years, really no difference. My daughters like this hair creme from fructis, it’s a little green bottle with a water bottle type of cover. They also come in a spray, I guess the creme form lets you smooth it in with your hands and you can feel where it’s applied and where you need to add more.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 1:15 pm
SingALong wrote:
Myself and 2 daughters have thick coarse hair. I highly recommend leave in conditioner. That’s besides using conditioner in the shower as well. It’s really the best way I found to keep the hair silky and smooth. I’ve used various brands over the years, really no difference. My daughters like this hair creme from fructis, it’s a little green bottle with a water bottle type of cover. They also come in a spray, I guess the creme form lets you smooth it in with your hands and you can feel where it’s applied and where you need to add more.
coming back to say that leave in conditioner was an amazing suggestion! Already seeing so much improvement, hair is smoother, heavier, less tangled. Thank you!

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 1:22 pm
Try the curly girl method.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:32 pm
DD is 12 and her hair is exactly this. She also doesn’t want to (can’t be bothered to) do much care. I could give her showering instructions, but she will go a week without brushing if I let her. I think it would be ugly short. A braid looks decent.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:36 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Try the curly girl method.
she doesn’t have curly hair. It’s gets greasy and smelly if she doesn’t wash it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 3:37 pm
Iymnok wrote:
DD is 12 and her hair is exactly this. She also doesn’t want to (can’t be bothered to) do much care. I could give her showering instructions, but she will go a week without brushing if I let her. I think it would be ugly short. A braid looks decent.
I still brush and style her hair for her. But at least with the leave in conditioner it isn’t a scream fest every time.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 4:32 pm
Shampoo for dry hair and lots of conditioner.
Brush her hair in the bath/shower while shampoo and conditioner are sitting in the hair.
Brush again once out of the bath.
Brush very minimally when dry, only with a wet brush, not with a fine tooth comb/brush, because that will frizz it up.
Braid if for the night for easy managing in the morning.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 4:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
she doesn’t have curly hair. It’s gets greasy and smelly if she doesn’t wash it.

IT does wonders for straight hair as well. It will make her hair stop being greasy and dry and coarse.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
coming back to say that leave in conditioner was an amazing suggestion! Already seeing so much improvement, hair is smoother, heavier, less tangled. Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback. What brand did you use?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:44 pm
My daughters hair is the same! Its a nightmare to brush and she doesn't let me help her. After a while I insist and she screams for a half hour while I brush it all out. When she was younger I kept it short, but now She's too old for that style.
I would love recommendations for specific brand shampoos and conditioners that detangle but doesn't make her hair look oily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children