Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bklyn public library offer free audio books? recommendation?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:03 pm
Someone told me that brooklyn public library offers free audio books, can I download it to my phone to listen when off wifi? Also, which books do you recommend? Or is audibles better?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:10 pm
You'll need their app, called Libby, and a library card. They may have relaxed the rules for applying online for digital services, but I'm not sure about the details.

Once you have the app and you're logged in, you can browse by genre, author, or find a specific title. Some are easily available, and some might require a "reservation" - a hold - that can take anywhere from several days to several months to become available, depending on a particular title's popularity.

I found memoirs the easiest genre for getting into audiobooks. I also enjoy other forms of nonfiction such as focused history and biography. For me, fiction was a bit harder to enjoy at first in audiobook form, but by now I am used to it.

Important tip: adjust the speed as needed. I can listen to 1.5, 2, or even 2.5 speed if a narrator is particularly slow.

ETA: You should be able to download books and listen to them while offline.

Last edited by youngishbear on Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 6:10 pm
Most libraries have an app called hoopla. Register with your library card and you have many choices
You can check your libraries homepage and there should be information

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:34 pm
All materials from public libraries are free

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Most libraries have an app called hoopla. Register with your library card and you have many choices
You can check your libraries homepage and there should be information

You can use Hoopla, Libby, Overdrive, or all 3. It's free, and you can download to your phone.

bobeli

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:03 pm
Any jewish ones?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:06 pm
bobeli wrote:
Any jewish ones?

Unfortunately, there aren't any frum audiobooks for adults, as far as I know.

There might be books on Jewish topics available on audiobook, though.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:17 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Unfortunately, there aren't any frum audiobooks for adults, as far as I know.

There might be books on Jewish topics available on audiobook, though.

So far, I have found ONE LOL on Hoopla: The Committed Life by Rebbetzin Jungreis

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
You can use Hoopla, Libby, Overdrive, or all 3. It's free, and you can download to your phone.

Can you tell me how to set it up with the library card, I don’t see how I can gain access to Hoopla?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:25 pm
I don't think Hoopla is available through Brooklyn Public Library, though it used to be in the past. They use Overdrive/Libby.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
So far, I have found ONE LOL on Hoopla: The Committed Life by Rebbetzin Jungreis

I remember seeing some audiobooks by Rabbi Sacks on Libby.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:38 pm
How do I make sure that it's not going to use my phones data when I play it in the car? How do I download it once it's open in libby?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I make sure that it's not going to use my phones data when I play it in the car? How do I download it once it's open in libby?

https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6022.htm

What titles are downloaded for offline use?
By default, all loans are downloaded for offline use when you have a Wi-Fi connection.

What's downloaded on my shelf?
A book with a checkmark icon (checkmark icon) is downloaded on your device for offline use.

A book with a cloud icon (cloud icon) isn't downloaded on your device. It'll be streamed when you open it, requires an internet connection to read or listen to, and doesn't take up space on your device.

Knowledgeable

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:14 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I don't think Hoopla is available through Brooklyn Public Library, though it used to be in the past. They use Overdrive/Libby.

After logging into overdrive with my library card, it’s asking me to choose a library, it seems I can choose any library, is there a difference which library I choose is there some libraries that have more books than others?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:17 pm
Knowledgeable wrote:
After logging into overdrive with my library card, it’s asking me to choose a library, it seems I can choose any library, is there a difference which library I choose is there some libraries that have more books than others?

You can only access your own library system, where you have a card. I don't think the specific branch matters.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

in the settings- you set download on wifi only.
its pretty user friendly.
you borrow the book, then download if you want if available offline.

and as someone said you cannot choose any library. You need to put in the library you belong to with your library card id

good luck
enjoy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries