Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby Name Sarah
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:52 am
I’m going to put it either Sarah or Sara. Regardless of pronunciation. Which is better?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:34 am
It's like "Anne with an e" it comes down to personal preference. It won't make a difference with pronunciation.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:35 am
My daughter is called sara'le , whereas for plain Sarah I definitely would spell ending with an H. Love the name though. Without thinking I gave her first name for her legal name.( she has two names) I wish I can still change that.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:55 am
Sara without an H. With an H is old fashioned.

Java

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:57 am
Crookshanks wrote:

Huh? I know plenty of Saras and Sarahs all around my age (early 20s) I never realized a difference
Where did you hear that?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m going to put it either Sarah or Sara. Regardless of pronunciation. Which is better?

It's a preference. There is no better or worse. It makes no difference.
I have spent 40+ years saying "Sara with no H". Your DD will either have to say that or "Sarah with an H".
There is no escaping it.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:10 am
Crookshanks wrote:

totally not.
I know Sara's and Sarah's of all ages.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:21 am
cutestbaby wrote:
Huh? I know plenty of Saras and Sarahs all around my age (early 20s) I never realized a difference
Where did you hear that?

Personal preference. I don't know any Sarah's my age. I feel like they're 60+. I know a billion Sara's who are my age though.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:29 pm
Crookshanks wrote:

No, it's actually probably the other way around.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:37 pm
My name is Sarah. I love the H at the end - I feel that it completes and beautifies the name. (I’m in my 20’s btw, in case it matters.)

As another poster mentioned, she’ll always have to say “with an H” or “without an H”, so either way, she’ll have to clarify (although it usually doesn’t matter).

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:39 pm
My name is Sarah with an H. I feel that it's the Jewish way - Biblical Sarah is spelled with an H.

Sarah Shapiro writes that when she was growing up she would imagine she was Sara Crew (from A Little Princess) but knew she could never be her, because she was Sara without an H (not Jewish), while Sarah was Sarah with an H (ie Jewish).

Pronounced Sarah - how else?

I really don't like Sora/Sorah. It looks like it should be pronounce Soerah. And I don't know anyone ever who would write Surah. It's just not done.

mfb

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:52 pm
I spelled it Sara for my baby.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:21 pm
My mom spelled it Sora legally for me. As a kid I loved that it was spelled differently- I felt unique. But am always called in to appointments etc as Saw-ra. Now I spell it Sara for anything not requiring legal spelling.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:34 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
My name is Sarah with an H. I feel that it's the Jewish way - Biblical Sarah is spelled with an H.

Sarah Shapiro writes that when she was growing up she would imagine she was Sara Crew (from A Little Princess) but knew she could never be her, because she was Sara without an H (not Jewish), while Sarah was Sarah with an H (ie Jewish).

Pronounced Sarah - how else?

I really don't like Sora/Sorah. It looks like it should be pronounce Soerah. And I don't know anyone ever who would write Surah. It's just not done.

Lol I was thinking about this. All Saras I know don't spell with an H though-and they're all yeshivish and very Jewish Smile

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:35 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Lol I was thinking about this. All Saras I know don't spell with an H though-and they're all yeshivish and very Jewish Smile

It's because they're very yeshivish and unaware.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Huh

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:46 pm
Crookshanks wrote:

im 25 and I spell it Sarah Smile

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:48 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
im 25 and I spell it Sarah Smile

Hi Sarah! No personal offense meant:)

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:34 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

It is also spelled Sara in Hungarian btw

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Sure, but I also recall reading that she was born in 1948, because she noted it was the year Israel gained independence. When she grew up, that likely was true.
It's really not the case anymore. I have met many, many non Jewish Sarah's in their 30s and below. All spelled with an h at the end. Frum people in that age range use mostly Sara, in my observations.

Personally, I don't care for the spelling Sora because I knew someone who used that spelling when she was a kid and everyone pronounced it "sore- uh", including frum people which was weird. Eventually as a teenager she changed the spelling to Sara.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names