Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can gastric sleeve surgery help an emotional eater
Previous  1  2

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I so appreciate how you share and constantly encourage on this thread. You are an inspiration. I have tried only protein and veg diets a few times. After one day, I get extremely nauseous and dizzy, I start shaking and feel like I am passing out.
That could be keto flu, you might need more electrolytes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
There are no shortcuts. But Andrea Levy managed to do it Wink You need to figure out whats giving you that fix and how, and address that. There are some foods that are known to be very addictive. People with leaky guts will also get opiate reactions from some foods. MSG and foods with free glutamate will give you a glutamate high. For some it’s anything that messes with their blood sugar.

I have no shut off zone. I love healthy foods. Love vegetables, love fish and salads. But I eat way too much. All foods can give me a fix so to say. I’m a great cook and I love my food. Love eating out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
That could be keto flu, you might need more electrolytes.

What does that mean please?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does that mean please?
https://www.healthline.com/nut.....ptoms

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no shut off zone. I love healthy foods. Love vegetables, love fish and salads. But I eat way too much. All foods can give me a fix so to say. I’m a great cook and I love my food. Love eating out.
I think once you cut out your most addictive foods and keep your blood sugar even you will be thinking about food so much less. And if you eat lots and lots of fats and proteins you will feel full. You may need to incorporate some elements of intuitive eating to help you tune in to satiety once the addictions are a little more under control.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:14 am
I did the sleeve surgery. I lost 100 lbs and am maintaining the loss a decade later.

The first few months post surgery, I completely reordered my life, my approach to food.

I could never ever, ever have done it without the pause button the surgery afforded me. It was an opportunity to address the underlying eating issues at a time when eating receded in importance for the first time in my life.

It takes discipline every day. But I'm so grateful I was given the chance.

I think Andrea Levy is a rock star. But I cannot see myself, when I was in the grips of food addiction, doing what she did.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I did the sleeve surgery. I lost 100 lbs and am maintaining the loss a decade later.

The first few months post surgery, I completely reordered my life, my approach to food.

I could never ever, ever have done it without the pause button the surgery afforded me. It was an opportunity to address the underlying eating issues at a time when eating receded in importance for the first time in my life.

It takes discipline every day. But I'm so grateful I was given the chance.

I think Andrea Levy is a rock star. But I cannot see myself, when I was in the grips of food addiction, doing what she did.

I agree with your 'pause" analogy. It gives one a window of opportunity but after that initial "honeymoon" one still has to deal with the ability to eat more calories than one can burn.

The better bariatric surgeons generally have their patients use psychologists who are trained specifically in issues of food disorders and surgery. Continuing to use therapy or other support is probably very helpful to most people because the surgery is NOT a magic wand that will completely change a person without that person taking personal responsibility for their decisions. In other words, one can get the surgery - lose the weight - and regain it because one is relying on the surgery to do all of the "work" or one can get the surgery and use it as an arsenal in one's lifelong "battle" with food issues.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:37 am
Thank you. I do think the “pause” would be useful and a chance to reset. I am losing years and watching my children grow up without taking part in the activities I would love to do with them.
I hope that I could learn new ways during that time. I am scared that I am not addressing what is causing me to eat so much in the first place. That is my concern. Why do I need food to shield me from basic human emotions???? I am an overall happy person. Is it food that makes me that way?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:39 am
Yes. It will 'help' for the first few months, during which your emotional 'eating' will transfer to emotional 'something else'.
Once your stomach adjust, you will likely return to emotional eating like before - gastric surgery does not address the internal emotional issue.

Of course, discuss with a doctor or therapist.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:41 am
Why do you think intuitive eating isn’t for you? Have you learned about it in depth or just heard a bit? WhT do you know about it?

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:53 am
The surgery will cause you to lose weight fast. Once your considerably thinner (and feeling better) start doing exercise. Incorporate it in your week, minimum 2 times.

Overweight people are usually more reluctant to try exercise, it's so much harder for them.

So once the body is a more comfortable size, take advantage and become fit.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Hardly any in my experience. The sleeve has very few lasting side effects and people who think it does are usually thinking about other gastric procedures and not the sleeve.

Lasting side effects include vomiting if you overeat and...well, that's basically it. Personally it's never happened to me.

You tend to get dehydrated more easily because you can't just chug water anymore. That's the thing I miss the most, downing a whole glass of water. So you have to remember to keep water with your and drink all day so you don't get dehydrated. Otherwise, there's no issues. Your bowels aren't touched so you don't have issues with vitamin absorption, loose stools, any of it.

If your only issue is no sense of knowing when you're full, it definitely helps with that. You WILL KNOW. But also, depending on what you eat when you do eat emotionally, know that potato chips, pretzels, ice cream, chocolate, etc, all that will go down smoothly and easily and you won't get the sense of being full because it doesn't actually fill your stomach and yes, you can regain your weight.

It is vital to work on the issues that lead you to overeat. Either in therapy or in OA, which personally I found extremely helpful.

I'm a few months post surgery and can second everything said here. I highly recommend it, but do find that I am struggling with my noshing habits, as snacks tend to go down easier than real food.
However, if you want to lose a significant amount of weight, having the surgery will give you a fair chance at that.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:33 am
Are there therapist that specialize in emotional eating? I would love to find a frum one. So probably not one my doctor reccomends. I didnt have surgery yet but scheduled soon. Is it better to start after u lose weight?

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:30 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
The vast majority of obese people who undergo bariatric surgery are emotional eaters. And yes, for many of them, the surgery is a salvation.

Read this for context
https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....05389

The vast majority end up regaining weight about 5 years out unless they learn to eat better and not resort to old habits
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise