Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
B”Y seminary acceptance letters released 2021-2022

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 6:44 am
The day has finally arrived when seminary’s email their acceptance letters.

Turns out my DD was accepted to her 2nd choice (bnos Avigail) and given high priority wait list status @ her 1st choice (bnos sorah).

1) What are her chances of getting in off the waitlist? Not even sure what high priority even means, unless they just made up that term to make rejects feel better.
I can’t afford to pay a $5k non refundable deposit for BA and then get accepted to BS afterwards.

2) I know absolutely nothing about bnos Avigail seminary except what I read about on this site. Can ppl please let me know if they have any firsthand experience with it.
In addition, what type of reputation does Bnos Avigail have?

3) does BNos Avigail offer decent scholarships?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 6:46 am
High priority wait list is good!! Basically means that the seminary wants to hear from you- they want you to pull all your connections so that they know she really wants to come, and then once they have a slot for her (which they will, most likely) they'll reach out to you letting you know that she's in
(Source- I was high priority waitlisted at Bnos Sarah 4-5 years ago and got in a week later Smile)

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 6:49 am
Bnos Avigail is a fabulous choice. I can't speak for it in terms of shidduchim, but it gets amazing, solid, smart, outgoing, happy and fun girls
I applied there also and got in- was super impressed by what I heard in terms of the hanhala and the girls who went there, academics etc

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:01 am
In case this helps you - My daughter was accepted to both Bnos Sarah and BJJ, and she is not going to Bnos Sarah. Same for several of her friends, so in a week or so - more slots should open up.

FWIW - Bnos Sarah is an excellent seminary - and we were very torn between both. It was a very difficult decision. (Don’t want anyone to think Bnos Sarah is only a second choice school. It is a first class option!)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
In case this helps you - My daughter was accepted to both Bnos Sarah and BJJ, and she is not going to Bnos Sarah. Same for several of her friends, so in a week or so - more slots should open up.

FWIW - Bnos Sarah is an excellent seminary - and we were very torn between both. It was a very difficult decision. (Don’t want anyone to think Bnos Sarah is only a second choice school. It is a first class option!)

Am aware that additional slots open up in a week. Problem is that all seminaries want their non refundable deposit before then (March 8)

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I can’t afford to pay a $5k non refundable deposit for BA and then get accepted to BS afterwards.

I wonder - since Bnos Avigayil and Bnos Sarah are both Neve seminaries - if your deposit could be transferable from one to the other, if she does get into Bnos Sarah, after putting down a deposit on Bnos Avigayil . . . I think that might be worth checking into . . .

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:08 am
Call her principal ASAP. She will probably be able to do some sleuthing for you, call Mrs. Epstein and find out realistically what her chances of getting in are

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Turns out my DD was accepted to her 2nd choice (bnos Avigail) and given high priority wait list status @ her 1st choice (bnos sorah).

1) What are her chances of getting in off the waitlist? Not even sure what high priority even means, unless they just made up that term to make rejects feel better.

2) I know absolutely nothing about bnos Avigail seminary except what I read about on this site. Can ppl please let me know if they have any firsthand experience with it.
In addition, for shidduchim purposes what type of reputation does Bnos Avigail have?

3) does either BNos Avigail or Machon Raya (3rd choice) offer decent scholarships?

1) Girls on the high priority waitlist have a very good chance of getting in. If she does, you will hear from them before the deadline, most likely. Call the seminary and tell them you are very interested, and get any "pull" you might have to call as well.
2) It's a good seminary! I know many girls who've gone there in the past three years and they seem to attract a nice crowd of girls. In terms of shidduchim, seeing Bnos Avigail on a girl's resume would not be a negative to me. It has a solid reputation.
3) Apart from the chinuch scholarship (if father is in chinuch, probably a thousand dollars or so), Nevey seminaries do not offer internal scholarships at all. I've heard that MR is more generous, but not by very much.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

In addition, for shidduchim purposes what type of reputation does Bnos Avigail have?

3) does either BNos Avigail or Machon Raya (3rd choice) offer decent scholarships?

Your sentence in red bold letters has me so upset...

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Apart from the chinuch scholarship (if father is in chinuch, probably a thousand dollars or so), Nevey seminaries do not offer internal scholarships at all. I've heard that MR is more generous, but not by very much.

I can’t speak to the other seminaries, but Bnos Sarah - which is a Neve seminary - offered a $3,500- chinuch scholarship (without our even asking).

fleetwood

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Your sentence in red bold letters has me so upset...

I agree,and not ashamed to post under my screen name. I guess if u don't go to seminary in Israel you don't get a shidduch?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:17 am
My girls are still young, but it n the meantime, can we start a change to this craziness??
Can seminary go back to being a place where those who want to go into chinuch go? Instead of what it has become- a place that everyone must go to because if not, you're a nebuch/ have issues/ are dirt poor?? And if it's not the top top seminary, you can be sure you won't be redt a top top boy....????

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
My girls are still young, but it n the meantime, can we start a change to this craziness??
Can seminary go back to being a place where those who want to go into chinuch go? Instead of what it has become- a place that everyone must go to because if not, you're a nebuch/ have issues/ are dirt poor?? And if it's not the top top seminary, you can be sure you won't be redt a top top boy....????

while we're at it... can we stop with the idea of a "top top boy"?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:22 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
while we're at it... can we stop with the idea of a "top top boy"?

That was said sarcastically as part of my shpiel Wink

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:25 am
And what happened to everyone's emunah and bitachon (which I'm sure the seminaries are drilling into their girls) that their children will find their bashert?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:30 am
I went to a Bnos Avigail and bH can say that it was an asset for me.
Had no problem with getting good Shidduch suggestions bH Smile

little neshamala

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

Im definitely sensing the winds change...I live in monsey and recently ive heard of more people who arent sending their daughters to sem. Not a lot, but definitely more so than in the past

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:58 pm
Is March 1 when they find out acceptances this yr as well?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info