Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Post high school USA beis medresh advice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:29 pm
HI! so my DS went to a reg yeshiva in 9th grade (out of town) and it wasn't a fit so he transferred to a wonderful warm chiofetz chaim school (OOT), he is looking at post high schools. I would LOVE him to be turned onto learning, he isnt yet I would love him to stay learning long term. We are a bit more yeshivish than most of his classmates (eg no smartphone, tagged laptop). he is a gr8 kid w friends w gr8 middos . they just may go to learn a couple yrs post high school and I would love him to stay longer. (my only son). He wants to look at St Louis, EY (the lighter chofetz chaim school), I am thinking why only chofetz chaim I mean I know he has learnt this way a few yrs but last yr he worked in camp with more yeshivish guys and was interested to transfer to ner yisroel 12th grade but the school said not a good year to transfer, should I have him look there for beis midrash any advice on St Louis. WITS? Denver? other schools that would encourage a deep love for learning long term? he is smart but super needs the dorm environment as he has only sisters at home and needs motivation to be inspired; sorry to be so confusing

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 3:12 pm
I don't know much about beis medrash but if he was interested in Ner Yisroel, definitely don't rule it out because it was hard to transfer this year. BM is a different hanhala and staff and there are lots of changes in the student body and it's not abnormal to switch then.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:44 pm
THANK YOU can you lmk who to contact

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:49 pm
https://nirc.edu/yeshivaapplicationform/

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:57 pm
He is actually more likely to stay in long term learning if he goes to a CC beis medrash than Ner Yisrael. While Ner Yisrael is a great option it definitely is more pro college and working than CC b'hashkafah.

I wouldn't say St. Louis or Rochester if he is looking for a more yeshivish crowd. I don't have enough info about WITZ or Miami but they are known for more in town yeshivish boys (relatively anyways). I know guys love Cherry Hill and Vegas - used to be Vancouver. I don't know much about Boca or CCJ but those are more options to look into. In general each branch has its own flavor so it's worth doing some research.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:12 pm
I wouldn't call Ner Yisroel pro college at all. They enable it, if a boy so desires, to make it work that he shouldn't have to leave yeshiva while getting a degree and help with credits. My husband was in Ner Yisroel for 20 years without going to college and never had any push in that direction. The hashkafa of Ner Yisroel is to let every bochur grow in the best way possible for himself without focusing on externalities and labels. Their kollel is huge, many of whom will go to college, many of whom will go into klei kodesh, and not a small number will it stay and learn long term.

CC is not pro college, but from what I've heard, and I don't have personal knowledge of it, after 7 years they're encouraged to go out to the klal, which is great for many young men but not all. I venture to guess that a large, large number of men in the kollel in Ner Yisroel is there for quite a bit longer than 7 years.... You can't even get an apartment on campus till about then and there are waiting lists....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:20 pm
My husband just suggested looking into EY first to get that love of learning.

He also thinks Ner Yisroel might not be the right fit right now to develop that, it's very big and someone like your son might not get the extra push he needs in beis medrash where most of the boys there already have an intrinsic motivation at that age.

And he confirmed what I thought: in all his time there, he never got any sense that he should go to college. Perhaps even the opposite at times.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I wouldn't call Ner Yisroel pro college at all. They enable it, if a boy so desires, to make it work that he shouldn't have to leave yeshiva while getting a degree and help with credits. My husband was in Ner Yisroel for 20 years without going to college and never had any push in that direction. The hashkafa of Ner Yisroel is to let every bochur grow in the best way possible for himself without focusing on externalities and labels. Their kollel is huge, many of whom will go to college, many of whom will go into klei kodesh, and not a small number will it stay and learn long term.

CC is not pro college, but from what I've heard, and I don't have personal knowledge of it, after 7 years they're encouraged to go out to the klal, which is great for many young men but not all. I venture to guess that a large, large number of men in the kollel in Ner Yisroel is there for quite a bit longer than 7 years.... You can't even get an apartment on campus till about then and there are waiting lists....

Sorry, you're right. I didn't really mean hashkafically, I guess I meant more practically. Maybe, because like your saying, it's more individually based, it's not as expected in Ner Yisrael. My husband was "pushed" to stay in learning, now he gives shiur. If he wouldn't have been in an environment that heavily promotes long term learning (though we don't promote learning forever OP if that's what you want - we aim to create marbitzei Torah), he would have gone to college at 22.

(Not a relavent point but just for the sake of clarity, the seven years begin from when you get into kollel not marriage. For example my husband got married at 24, got into kollel - basic criteria need to be in the RY shiur for 3 years upon arrival to Queens, certain number of chaburas, and certain number of blatt - at 26, and was in kollel for 7 years from then. Only after a year of semicha did we move oot.)

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:43 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My husband just suggested looking into EY first to get that love of learning.

He also thinks Ner Yisroel might not be the right fit right now to develop that, it's very big and someone like your son might not get the extra push he needs in beis medrash where most of the boys there already have an intrinsic motivation at that age.

And he confirmed what I thought: in all his time there, he never got any sense that he should go to college. Perhaps even the opposite at times.

That's probably because Ner Yisrael is filled with much more yeshivish boys than CC, guys that don't even think about college until later if ever. My husband was on his way and needed to be sold on learning and his Rebbeim never gave up on him.

My point was that if OP is looking for a Yeshiva that will really encourage learning no matter his "plans", then CC might do that vs not bringing the subject of college up. If he needs more dare I say regular boys, Ner Yisrael sounds like a better fit.

I very much agree with the EY idea for an older guy but usually an 18 year old is not ready for EY unless heavily supervised.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:10 pm
Right, it depends on the yeshiva but many boys who go to the right yeshiva at a young age because they don't have their own drive yet but want it end up doing very, very well making good kesharim and being influenced by the avreichim around. Those who are settled in yeshiva usually wait longer before going to a big box or very yeshivish institution. But it's imperative to do homework on this.

OP, does his 12th grade rebbe give hadracha? My understanding is that it's par for the course for rabbeim of that shiur to help place their talmidim.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:15 pm
I don't know much about it, but you can look into Ohr Hatorah (Rabbi Hoffman) in Baltimore. I know they emphasize the rebbe/talmid relationship to encourage individual growth.
https://ygohrhatorah.org/#

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:32 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Right, it depends on the yeshiva but many boys who go to the right yeshiva at a young age because they don't have their own drive yet but want it end up doing very, very well making good kesharim and being influenced by the avreichim around. Those who are settled in yeshiva usually wait longer before going to a big box or very yeshivish institution. But it's imperative to do homework on this.

OP, does his 12th grade rebbe give hadracha? My understanding is that it's par for the course for rabbeim of that shiur to help place their talmidim.

St Louis has a BM so unless a guy is specifically looking to switch the Rebbeim are not going to bring it up. Additionally, the Rebbeim there are only going to be most helpful re switching to another branch. If he wants to switch out of the system its probably worth calling people who know more about other Yeshivos besides CC.

Perrys

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
HI! so my DS went to a reg yeshiva in 9th grade (out of town) and it wasn't a fit so he transferred to a wonderful warm chiofetz chaim school (OOT), he is looking at post high schools. I would LOVE him to be turned onto learning, he isnt yet I would love him to stay learning long term. We are a bit more yeshivish than most of his classmates (eg no smartphone, tagged laptop). he is a gr8 kid w friends w gr8 middos . they just may go to learn a couple yrs post high school and I would love him to stay longer. (my only son). He wants to look at St Louis, EY (the lighter chofetz chaim school), I am thinking why only chofetz chaim I mean I know he has learnt this way a few yrs but last yr he worked in camp with more yeshivish guys and was interested to transfer to ner yisroel 12th grade but the school said not a good year to transfer, should I have him look there for beis midrash any advice on St Louis. WITS? Denver? other schools that would encourage a deep love for learning long term? he is smart but super needs the dorm environment as he has only sisters at home and needs motivation to be inspired; sorry to be so confusing

st Louis is a great yeshiva. Pm if you want to hear more about it

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:35 pm
Boca and CCJ branches only accept la crème de la crème. If your ds is not a top Bochur, he will not get accepted into Boca and CCJ. Miami has a greater acceptance rate.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
St Louis has a BM so unless a guy is specifically looking to switch the Rebbeim are not going to bring it up. Additionally, the Rebbeim there are only going to be most helpful re switching to another branch. If he wants to switch out of the system its probably worth calling people who know more about other Yeshivos besides CC.

Oh I thought he wasn't in a yeshiva with a BM (STL was brought up as an option)... But you're right that they'll probably only know about the various branches.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Oh I thought he wasn't in a yeshiva with a BM (STL was brought up as an option)... But you're right that they'll probably only know about the various branches.

My bad! My reading comprehension skills today could use some polishing Can't Believe It You're right, if there is no BM then the Rebbeim should be expected to help.

musiclover

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:26 pm
Does anyone have any updated information about TTB Chofetz Chaim Beis Medrash in Boca? We are considering it for our son; wondering what kind of reputation the yeshiva has. We are not a Chofetz Chaim family - I'm not sure if this would be an issue.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 2:49 pm
I would look into Yeshiva of Greater Washington (Silver Spring).

musiclover

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:16 pm
Thanks. Does that mean that you think the non Chofetz Chaim family would be an issue?
Our son's Rebbi feels that he would benefit and do very well from the Chofetz Chaim learning style. We are also looking into CCJ but don't have much into about either yeshiva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics