Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What are we going to do about the candy situation?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:18 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Candy is literally the only enjoyable thing in children's lives these days, and you want to take it away?
For real?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:19 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Why? Get a team together with a nutritionist and pediatrician, and make that PowerPoint.
Pediatricians still hand out lollipops where I live. And nutritionists will make it all about weight. I don’t know any that are about behavior and learning.

pizza4

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:26 pm
Candy is literally the only enjoyable thing in children's lives these days, and you want to take it away?

The only enjoyable thing is kids lives? That would be a shame if that's so! I sure hope my kids enjoy lots of other things, experiences and play. Today we went on a walk in the rain, splashed in puddles and got wet. They were in seventh heaven.
I agree that the candy situation is out of control.
Also what bugs me is when the teacher knows there is a child in the class that can't eat the candy she's giving out, because it has gluten, dairy, hf corn syrup or food coloring which lots of people are sensitive to, and instead of finding something else to give out to include that child, she'll keep on giving the oodles and m&ms. It's something I watched being in classrooms and I became very sensitive to.
The same way you're giving out oodles, you could give out erasers or whatever the kids are into at that moment.

professor

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:51 pm
Real food has a short shelf life and is therefore impractical.

OK. And that's a good reason to stuff our kids with fake food?

I see families going on diets eating healthy proteins and salads and letting the babies eat garbage, instead of sharing the good stuff, because "they don't need to diet" and I just shake my head.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:14 pm
We throw it away. What's the big deal. My children know eating that much candy is insane.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:15 am
OP, I agree with you 100%. Some kids are OK with candy here and there, but some are extremely sensitive to sugar and food colorings, or MSG in chips and crackers.

With DD, we had a candy jar on top of the fridge. All the Purim candy went in there (and school candy) and she got a couple of Shabbos treats from the jar each week. Then Simchas Torah comes around, and that candy goes into the jar as well.

I didn't have to buy treats for her for the first 10 years of her life! She always knew there was candy available, so she never had the urge to hoard or hide it.

She also respected me enough that she didn't try to sneak into the jar. Besides, she knew that if I caught her, the entire jar would go away and not be replaced. She came to the logical conclusion that my system was the best.

To this day, she doesn't over eat junk, and she enjoys healthy foods.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:16 am
pizza4 wrote:
The only enjoyable thing is kids lives? That would be a shame if that's so! I sure hope my kids enjoy lots of other things, experiences and play. Today we went on a walk in the rain, splashed in puddles and got wet. They were in seventh heaven.
I agree that the candy situation is out of control.
Also what bugs me is when the teacher knows there is a child in the class that can't eat the candy she's giving out, because it has gluten, dairy, hf corn syrup or food coloring which lots of people are sensitive to, and instead of finding something else to give out to include that child, she'll keep on giving the oodles and m&ms. It's something I watched being in classrooms and I became very sensitive to.
The same way you're giving out oodles, you could give out erasers or whatever the kids are into at that moment.
Yes, it’s sad that every celebration is all about food. I wish we could go back to a time when food was just about getting nutrition and energy into our bodies. Sure, eating should be enjoyable. But not every enjoyment needs to be about food.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
We throw it away. What's the big deal. My children know eating that much candy is insane.
It would be a big deal to my kids if I tried to throw their candy away without compensating them for it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:29 pm
I saw this post on Facebook. Thought it was interesting.
3 reasons to let your kids eat and enjoy their Purim candy....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:03 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I saw this post on Facebook. Thought it was interesting.
3 reasons to let your kids eat and enjoy their Purim candy....
Candy is addictive. Addictions override intuition. Some kids know how to stop, many kids don’t.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:04 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

For your information, I work in a school where no edibles are given so the kids are basically pretty happy with stickers or cheap pencils.

Thank G-d! Can you imagine schools giving drugs to the kids? A scandal!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pediatricians still hand out lollipops where I live. And nutritionists will make it all about weight. I don’t know any that are about behavior and learning.

I have the credentials in the nutrition field you may be looking for. I focus on health (totally not weight), and I absolutely would love to find a way to get the message into schools.

Maybe we can team up?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children