Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn has bubbles by mouth

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:10 pm
Hi, my baby is 6 weeks old and she has a lot of bubbles by her mouth.
She is formula fed.

Also when she cries it sounds gurgly like theres alot of saliva in her chest. I had her checked at the doctor and she said no liquid in chest. But when she cries it sounds 'watery' to me.

After I fed her today my baby sounded gurgly again and then she threw up some milk and it also came out of her nose Sad she was crying I felt so bad.

what is this from?

bh my baby is gaining nicely, she only threw up like twice so far

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:30 pm
Well babies should be blowing bubbles, but 6 weeks sounds a little young.
I do not know what a watery cry is. If your child had water (formula) in her lungs she would be gasping, wheezing and coughing, especially during a feeding or as a result of reflux. Double check with your doctor.
Only vomitting twice is great.
I have a two and a half week old who has vomitted more than that!

trixx

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:32 pm
Are you burping enough? They suck in more air thru the bottle

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:35 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Well babies should be blowing bubbles, but 6 weeks sounds a little young.
I do not know what a watery cry is. If your child had water (formula) in her lungs she would be gasping, wheezing and coughing, especially during a feeding or as a result of reflux. Double check with your doctor.
Only vomitting twice is great.
I have a two and a half week old who has vomitted more than that!

shes not really blowing raspberries, its just like shes bubbling by her mouth. happens when shes sleeping, so I wipe her then. im nervous. doctor told me not an issue

my baby sometimes coughs during a feeding. she isnt wheezing and no gasping bh
and mazal tov on ur baby!

anonymrs

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:40 pm
My babies with reflux foamed at the mouth and coughed during or after feeds. Could be an from an allergy or from a tongue tie.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:41 pm
trixx wrote:
Are you burping enough? They suck in more air thru the bottle

ya we burp her alot !
I got her the dr browns bottles too

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:42 pm
anonymrs wrote:
My babies with reflux foamed at the mouth and coughed during or after feeds. Could be an from an allergy or from a tongue tie.

no tongue tie bh...
how could I look into reflux?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
no tongue tie bh...
how could I look into reflux?

Pediatrician or GI
And if she’s coughing and sounds wet perhaps ask the Dr about aspiration

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 6:36 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Pediatrician or GI
And if she’s coughing and sounds wet perhaps ask the Dr about aspiration

ok will do
thanks!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 6:36 pm
even when my baby is sleeping, she has bubbles that start forming by her mouth. does a/o have experience with this?

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
even when my baby is sleeping, she has bubbles that start forming by her mouth. does a/o have experience with this?

Does she swear excessively from her head? ("pillow" wet from sweat)

Hold herself rigid (back arching)?

Fatigue easily?

Tolerate tummy time?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 7:32 am
cbsp wrote:

Fatigue easily?

Tolerate tummy time?

she does sweat a bit on the back of her neck in the morning but thats bc the heating in my apartment is messed up

she doesnt hold herself rigid, only when shes shrieking and once I give her milk and burp her shes normal

she does tummy time but my baby was a premie so shes more tired than most babies. she sleeps most of the time

how come??

cbsp

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
she does sweat a bit on the back of her neck in the morning but thats bc the heating in my apartment is messed up

she doesnt hold herself rigid, only when shes shrieking and once I give her milk and burp her shes normal

she does tummy time but my baby was a premie so shes more tired than most babies. she sleeps most of the time

how come??

Sweating excessively from the head (not the neck, I don't think) might be a sign of respiratory difficulty. (for my kid, that's what changed the pediatrician's mind from "oh its just a cold" to "let's get this treated aggressively now")

The rigidity (back arching as well) could be a sign of reflux or gastric discomfort - same kid switched from being considered high muscle tone to low muscle tone (technically impossible) once they discovered he had silent reflux and adjusted his meds appropriately.

He had a hard time with tummy time and fatigued really easily (more so than his premie status would have warranted) when doing "strenuous" baby stuff when his respiratory issues weren't addressed.

You mentioned premie - does your baby have suck-swallow-breathe down pat?

I was just asking random questions to see if the bubbling and wet sounds maybe fit into a larger picture.. Can you record them and show to the doctor?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:05 am
cbsp wrote:
Sweating excessively from the head (not the neck, I don't think) might be a sign of respiratory difficulty. (for my kid, that's what changed the pediatrician's mind from "oh its just a cold" to "let's get this treated aggressively now")

The rigidity (back arching as well) could be a sign of reflux or gastric discomfort - same kid switched from being considered high muscle tone to low muscle tone (technically impossible) once they discovered he had silent reflux and adjusted his meds appropriately.

He had a hard time with tummy time and fatigued really easily (more so than his premie status would have warranted) when doing "strenuous" baby stuff when his respiratory issues weren't addressed.

You mentioned premie - does your baby have suck-swallow-breathe down pat?

I was just asking random questions to see if the bubbling and wet sounds maybe fit into a larger picture.. Can you record them and show to the doctor?

wow you sound so smart! thanks for these guided qs.
whats suck-swallow-breathe?
I googled the gurgling/wet sound, apparently its normal for newborns

good idea to record ill make sure to do that iyh

cbsp

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow you sound so smart! thanks for these guided qs.
whats suck-swallow-breathe?
I googled the gurgling/wet sound, apparently its normal for newborns

good idea to record ill make sure to do that iyh

Not so smart, just being reminded of life when my now 9yo son was born. (but he had medical issues as well, so most certainly not everything applies to you. Just asking the questions)

Chances are if you weren't told about suck-swallow-breathe with your premie then it's not an issue but here's what I understand, strictly for explanation, please don't apply to your baby:

Prior to being born a baby doesn't breathe via lungs - it gets its oxygen via the umbilical cord.

Once born the lungs start getting used and the baby now has to "figure out" how to coordinate eating and breathing at the same time. This is a reflex that kicks in at 34ish weeks or at birth (I think whichever comes first) . Sometimes there can be an event that would interfere with the awakening of the reflex which would then contribute to feeding issues - for example, my baby was born at 34 weeks which would have been right around the time the reflex should have kicked in - but he had immediate lung surgery and wasn't fed until they removed the ventilator 10+ days later - so his reflex was never properly activated.

So when he started eating he would suck and then breathe so when he swallowed he aspirated (breathed in the food) because it was the wrong rhythm (hence suck-swallow-breathe). It wasn't obvious to a bystander because it was only slight, yet clear as day when they did a swallow study. (watched via xray while being fed barium)

I asked because the wet gurgling (again, we're not there, it seemed from your post that it sounded different than other babies) might be coming due to aspiration. Or most likely not.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, my baby is 6 weeks old and she has a lot of bubbles by her mouth.
She is formula fed.

Also when she cries it sounds gurgly like theres alot of saliva in her chest. I had her checked at the doctor and she said no liquid in chest. But when she cries it sounds 'watery' to me.

After I fed her today my baby sounded gurgly again and then she threw up some milk and it also came out of her nose Sad she was crying I felt so bad.

what is this from?

bh my baby is gaining nicely, she only threw up like twice so far

I know what you are referring to. Its always there. My baby had that too and same symptoms you are talking about. Trust your intuition, you are onto something Smile
It was related to allergies she had/has.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:44 am
cbsp wrote:

Fatigue easily?

Tolerate tummy time?

ives skipped through. these things can be related as well. yes bubbles in sleep too like you or maybe someone else mentioned.

Im not on much, wishing you hatzlocha with whatever u need.

GI/Allergies - check out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics