Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Strep and cbc count of 30.2 normal? Tiny update

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:05 pm
Dr says it means it's a good bacterial strep. Nothing to worry abt such a high count if we know what it is and Ds is getting meds. I asked if I need to repeat cbc he said no. He said by Wednesday he should start feeling better if not to bring him back but he's confident the meds will do the work. He's on amoxicillin.
I'm a young mother with no experience. He's a great Dr that I trust but somehow this seems off. Maybe I'm wrong.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:25 pm
I had strep last year with a very high wbc. Dr wasn’t worried but did put me on stronger antibiotics

anonymrs

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:32 pm
I'm not a doctor but sounds normal to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I had strep last year with a very high wbc. Dr wasn’t worried but did put me on stronger antibiotics

That may be because you're an adult. I imagine babies and adults are different when treating. But that's just me inexperienced thinking.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dr says it means it's a good bacterial strep. Nothing to worry abt such a high count if we know what it is and Ds is getting meds. I asked if I need to repeat cbc he said no. He said by Wednesday he should start feeling better if not to bring him back but he's confident the meds will do the work. He's on amoxicillin.
I'm a young mother with no experience. He's a great Dr that I trust but somehow this seems off. Maybe I'm wrong.

Did you want to do daily blood work?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:00 pm
No not at all. was thinking if it's so high maybe I need to repeat it say 3-4 days later to make sure it's going down.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No not at all. was thinking if it's so high maybe I need to repeat it say 3-4 days later to make sure it's going down.

Perhaps if your child wasn't feeling better on Wednesday. If he is - its really good evidence that that strep infection was the cause of the high CBC.... and resolving the infection, will resolve the CBC number.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:03 pm
Bh now in the afternoon he's acting so much better than in the morning. He's refusing his bottle which I'm not happy abt because in the morning he took it so nicely. But his mood is so much better. He has no plans of going to sleep. Jumping around. I wish he'd take his bottle. So not him. He always gobbles it up Mad

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:40 pm
Off topic here but op have you checked in with your doc? So you have a support system?

You sound so much like I did PP , very very anxious. About the nursing. How often to pump. How often to feed/ sleep etc.

Please reach out for help. Life doesn’t have to be this stressful.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:41 pm
No need to repeat labs if child is improving. White count goes go in bacterial infections specifically neutrophils. Lymphocytes often go up in viral.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
No need to repeat labs if child is improving. White count goes go in bacterial infections specifically neutrophils. Lymphocytes often go up in viral.

Yes. My Dr explained that to me. That when it's viral either both are 50/50 or the lymphocytes go up. When it's bacterial the other number goes up. This number was very high and the lymphocytes quite low. That's how he knew it's a bacterial strep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics