Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Wording for bar mitzvah gifts thank you notes

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:25 pm
Specifically for people who came and gave cash gifts, and people who didn't come and sent money gifts. (Not large amounts but very nice gestures)
He got mostly seforim not money and those are easier to write...

I have, as samples to help my son:

Thank you so much for coming to my bar mitzvah.
I was so happy to see you and dance with you at my simcha.
Thank you for the meaningful card and the generous gift. ??? And I don't know what else...

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:27 pm
What you wrote looks great. I'd end off by writing, may we share in simchos...

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:52 pm
If the gift was an item, I.e. a sefer or kiddush cup, can end off with, "I look forward to using/learning from" etc

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
If the gift was an item, I.e. a sefer or kiddush cup, can end off with, "I look forward to using/learning from" etc

Right! He mostly got seforim and that's how he's ending it. But the cash thank you sounds so abrupt. Does he say something like, "I hope to put it to good use"? Does that sound mercenary? Happens to be the cash gifts were really respectful gestures (not large amounts, nothing over $100) mostly from ppl who didn't come but have respect for my husband and his rabbinic role in the community, and I don't want the givers to feel like it was taken for granted.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:31 pm
No, I'd leave it as "generous gift" for cash. Maybe use "thoughtful card" instead of "meaningful" and then use the term meaningful for something like: "your participation at my simcha was meaningful for the whole family. May we share in future simchos"

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:33 pm
May we share in many more Simchas ..
Doesn’t need to be long. The main point is It should be handwritten by your son and sent out asap.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:36 pm
Thank you so much for the generous gift. I so appreciate your participating in my Simcha. May we share many more together.

Ppl who sent money but didn't come :
Thank you so much for the generous gift. I so appreciate the gesture of your participating in my Simcha
Etc

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 8:07 pm
Bump.

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:03 pm
Bump- what do I write in the thank you note?

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:36 pm
For you or your son?

Personally, I made my son handwrite everything and there were too many gifts for him to individualize so this is what he wrote to everyone:

Dear X,

Thank you so much for your generous gift & for sharing in my simcha.

May we continue to share in many more simchos together.

Bar mitzvah boy

If you are printing, you can make it longer or have one batch for the people who came and say something like, it was so nice to see you personally & for those who didn't make it- Your presence was felt even from afar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette