Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Seminary in Israel next year-must vaccinate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:17 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
This is gross. I can't believe the brainwashing that would make a person say such a thing. Do you understand how low risk very young people are at? How well they recover from this? But you will make such nasty comment anyhow?

Wow you're like 6 months a few mutations behind the times.

Do you know that as of last night Israel has about 50 pregnant women, I think 6 0r 8 of them on ventilators? Somewhere around 40 babies under the age of ONE in the hospital, and 4 kids (that would be until age 18). This is not even counting the kids that will get sick this week from Purim.

This UK mutation has been around since before December, it's not anything new. It's specifically targeting younger people.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:52 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Do you know that as of last night Israel has about 50 pregnant women, I think 6 0r 8 of them on ventilators? Somewhere around 40 babies under the age of ONE in the hospital, and 4 kids (that would be until age 18). This is not even counting the kids that will get sick this week from Purim.

This UK mutation has been around since before December, it's not anything new. It's specifically targeting younger people.

Just a correction - it’s not specifically targeting young people but because most older people are vaccinated and it’s just so darned contagious more and more young and healthy people are effected by it, and many young and previously healthy people are getting seriously ill. Last week a young and healthy expectant mother died because her BIL talked her out of taking the vaccine.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:19 am
I know a healthy 27 year old mother of three who had fluid in her brain post Corona. Doctors aren't sure how to deal with it.

It's really scary.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:53 am
A lesser point. If they do allow anyone to come without vaccination, those girls would probably have to spend a major chunk of the year in quarantine. Ask anyone who's in sem this year, it's not easy. During bidud, no (or extremely limited) Shabboses off campus, no tiyulim -- being confined to a small space with a lot of restrictions.

Is that something you and)or your DD are willing to face?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 4:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thats crazy.
My daughter has been looking forward to this experience all her life and I cant take it away from her. Nor do I want to risk having her immunized.
She was just accepted to the seminary of her choice today! And I need to send in a non-refundable deposit of 4k this week! Help!

What exactly are you risking?

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:02 am
Op, I am in the same dilemma as you. I plan on calling seminary today and asking. I am assuming that they would need to be either vaccinated or have proof of antibodies. My daughter has neither.
Last night we celebrated her getting into the sem that she wanted. Tonight, we’re going to have to figure out as follows.
1) will Israel accept any vaccine other than the Pfizer? Will we be agreeable to having her vaccinate with Johnson and Johnson, which was approved or if novovax, which has not passed that stage yet?
2) do we want to wait? This probably will force her to give up her slot at her first choice but chances of her getting in somewhere in the end are pretty high. There are a lot of parents in our shoes and a lot of parents pulling out this year.
3) the sem made it clear that deposit is not refundable but, what kind of year are they guaranteeing next year. What is basis for refund?
4) (controversial!!! ) would you expose your daughter to covid for antibodies?

If anyone has any information, please share.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:03 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

This is terribly sad and breaks my heart. I don’t wish this virus on anyone.

But I do find it interesting that this is going on in the country with the highest vaccination rates and still nobody can even entertain the idea that something might be off with them.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:04 am

But I do find it interesting that this is going on in the country with the highest vaccination rates and still nobody can even entertain the idea that something might be off with them.

Those who are getting covid are overwhelmingly the unvaccinated.

Edited to add:
Not sure why this was hugged.
Would you like to see some data?
Here are some articles for your reference.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....elis/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/j.....04913

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/1......html

Last edited by DrMom on Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:06 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Op, I am in the same dilemma as you. I plan on calling seminary today and asking. I am assuming that they would need to be either vaccinated or have proof of antibodies. My daughter has neither.
Last night we celebrated her getting into the sem that she wanted. Tonight, we’re going to have to figure out as follows.
1) will Israel accept any vaccine other than the Pfizer? Will we be agreeable to having her vaccinate with Johnson and Johnson, which was approved or if novovax, which has not passed that stage yet?
2) do we want to wait? This probably will force her to give up her slot at her first choice but chances of her getting in somewhere in the end are pretty high. There are a lot of parents in our shoes and a lot of parents pulling out this year.
3) the sem made it clear that deposit is not refundable but, what kind of year are they guaranteeing next year. What is basis for refund?

#4 seems silly since they likely will require vax regardless and antibodies seem to wear off after a few months for many people, so what then?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:07 am
Antibodies are unlikely to be accepted as a substitute for vaccination. The vaccine is now available both in israel and America to people who have recovered from Corona at least three months ago. We don't know how long antibodies last, and we do know that that they often start deteriorating after approximately three months. They are not something a seminary can rely on to keep the dorm safe for a year.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:09 am
Hotpink, I wouldn't expose my daughter on purpose. Definitely not with the new strains around.
Anyway no way to predict how long antibodies last. And once vaccines are readily available I doubt Israel will accept that in lieu of a vaccine anyway.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:21 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
What exactly are you risking?

Are you seriously unaware of adverse effects? Unaware that this vaccine has been approved for emergency use only and not sufficiently studied and certainly no long term effects are known as it has not been studied long term?

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:22 am

Israel has used the Moderna vaccine in addition to the Pfizer vaccine, so certainly that will be accepted. Not sure about the J&J and Astra-Zenica vaccines.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:29 am

Laugh You forgot the /s

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:30 am
DrMom wrote:
Israel has used the Moderna vaccine in addition to the Pfizer vaccine, so certainly that will be accepted. Not sure about the J&J and Astra-Zenica vaccines.

Israel purchased moderna, but not sure they have used it yet on any citizens.
I would be surprised if vaccines with 60% success rate will be accepted (I believe those are the rates for JJ and AZ).

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:33 am

It is mainly the young and unvaccinated who are getting covid now in Israel, as Dr Mom said. Two thirds of those with covid are under the age of 30.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:33 am

Wow. I really thought I'd seen it all on this website, but #4 is just new levels of imbecility
Good luck

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:41 am
I usually do not post on Covid threads bc I don't understand enough about it.
But for people saying that they don't want their vaccinated kid to dorm with someone that's not vaccinated, isn't being vaccinated protecting you from the virus? Of course I totally understand the sentiment, I'm just wondering if once you get the vaccine if you still have to worry about getting the virus.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:44 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
But for people saying that they don't want their vaccinated kid to dorm with someone that's not vaccinated, isn't being vaccinated protecting you from the virus? Of course I totally understand the sentiment, I'm just wondering if once you get the vaccine if you still have to worry about getting the virus.

It significantly decreased your risk and the severity of the disease, but you do still have the potential to catch it.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:45 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

First, the vaccine only protects you 93% or something. Not 100%. (And that's Pfizer. Some of the other vaccines are only 60%!!).

Second, lots of unvaccinated people can easily lead to a lot more mutations, which the vaccine may not be effective against.

Third, as an Israeli with kids who cannot get vaccinated (under the age of 16) I definitely don't want unvaccinated people entering the country. I certainly wouldn't host unvaccinated sem girls.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics