Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Miami

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:09 am
Out of the blue an opportunity came up for a job in Miami. I wrote it off right away because the only thing I know of Miami is as a vacation destination but then I realized that people do actually live there

So for people that live there. What can you tell me about life for a JPF person?
What schools are there? Would need high schools for boys and girls and upper elementary?
What neighborhood do people live in? What is the cost of housing?

How bad are the summers?

Anything else you can tell me about the community? In general are newcomers welcomed?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:00 am
There are several schools, both elementary and high school.
I dont know what you mean by jpf, it might help if you tell me where you are coming from.
Miami has several neighborhoods: miami beach- more expensive, a bit more upper class.
North Miami beach, more affordable housing and more of a lower class neighborhood. (More crime). Many more young families in Nmb. The two communities are very interconnected in terms of schools.
Its about 20-30 min commute from one to the other.
There are other communities in between like surfside and Bal harbor. More sefardim/Latinos live there. Also a big chabad and young Israel shul in Surfside.
My best advice to you would be to come to Miami for a few days, spend a shabbos, check out the schools, see it up close.
Many people have moved here the last year. Real estate has gone up tremendously.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Out of the blue an opportunity came up for a job in Miami. I wrote it off right away because the only thing I know of Miami is as a vacation destination but then I realized that people do actually live there

So for people that live there. What can you tell me about life for a JPF person?
What schools are there? Would need high schools for boys and girls and upper elementary?
What neighborhood do people live in? What is the cost of housing?

How bad are the summers?

Anything else you can tell me about the community? In general are newcomers welcomed?

In terms of schools
For girls high schools:
There is a Bais yaakov, located in NMB. Girls from all over go there, including MB, boca, Hollywood, surfside etc.
There is Shaarei bina, which is to the left of BY, also all girls, they are located in Hollywood.
There is also bais chana (chabad) and Hebrew academy which is Co-ed, and caters to MO to barely religous. A few more co-ed options...
Upper elementary:
Elementary for girls ends at 5th grade. For 6th, the girls go to junior high at Bais yaakov or shaarei bina. They are in the same building as the high school.
For boys, there is YMS and RMS (Rohr middle school), both in NMB.
YMS is a continuation of YES and RMS is a continuation of Toras emes, which is officially a Choftez Chaim school. But both schools are really community schools.
They are both very packed so if you are thinking to move here you might want to work on the schooling fast.
In terms of type, they are very similar..many people have kids in both schools, or they switch from one to another.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:17 am
Thanks for those details.

Can you give me some street names if I want to look at zilllow for housing prices Etc. What about tuition rates? Approx prices?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:33 am
What is JPF

There is also
Aventura
Aventura Lakes
Hollywood

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for those details.

Can you give me some street names if I want to look at zilllow for housing prices Etc. What about tuition rates? Approx prices?

Miami is a big place! Where in Miami do you want to look at housing? There are many areas. Miami beach, north miami beach, surfside, Hollywood, aventura, bal harbor, sunny isles...
There are literally hundreds of streets.
You need to have somewhat of an idea what community you would want to join.
Again, your best bet is to come down for a few days, spend a shabbos, check out the schools. You will get a much better idea where you want to go and then you can get in touch with a real estate agent.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 2:10 pm
Moving from NY, what is worth bringing along, stocking up on? For a family with kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating