Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
9 month old not rolling over
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:48 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
But it was pointless. I don't see it having any other impact and it is way more convenient as a parent. Our pediatrician doesn't encourage it and says "brown kids walk fast" let them be. I don't like the racist comment, but I can't control what he says.

Huh?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:50 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
As you give more info you are reminding me of my son.
In his case, the extra weight and low muscle tone made it really challenging for him to move around. He started really crawling at 18 months and walking at 23 months and 2 weeks.
He was only approved for P.T. after 12 months as he did start rolling at 10 months and would compensate to get to where he wanted by rolling all over the place.
He is doing great now, still has P.T. but growing in skills every day!!
His comprehension was always above monthly milestones which calmed me down. His mind works, and the global delay is dealt with by providing all the services he needs.
I was so so so anxious about him and invested a tremendous amount of energy in carrying over all the therapies strategies. Looking back I would tell myself to breathe, he will be more than okay and to enjoy him and not focus as much on all he is not doing....

Thank you, I facilitate rolling with her every day. Socially and cognitively she seems to be doing great. Excellent eye contact from very young, babbles, hums when I sing to her, tries to imitate mama, dada, baba.

It’s mainly her weight and weak motor skills I’m worried about. I feel terrible that she’s overweight. I blame myself that maybe its because I gave her formula so early...

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:53 pm
How overweight is she? My baby is over 25 pounds, eats tons and 13 months crawling for half a year. Refuses to walk though. Fat babies are adorable and great. They can move. Relax. She'll get there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
How overweight is she? My baby is over 25 pounds, eats tons and 13 months crawling for half a year. Refuses to walk though. Fat babies are adorable and great. They can move. Relax. She'll get there.

90th percentile for weight

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:52 pm
I had a son who had bad asthma he only made his milestones when he felt good(was not gasping for air)I found out that this is common. Does your child have a medical condition? If yes work on improving his health don't worry about rolling over.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:08 pm
I second watching Youtube videos teaching rolling over.

I think it is rolling the baby over very slowly, using the natural movements.

To roll over from stomach the baby usually rolls his head and shoulders first.

From back the baby crosses one foot over and then upper body.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What does that translate to? How much does she weigh?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:28 am
I had a child very similar to what you describe. Totally diffrent motoric development compared to his siblings. he was above 90 percentille weight scala.
at 7 months they didnt approve for pt. but his pediatrician said he REALLY encourages us to pay a VERY EXPERIENCED PT for infants. It was expencive but SO SO SO worth it. within weeks his musile tone improved and his physical development lead to new milestones and yes he was still a late bloomer (walked at 19 months etc.) BUT he eventually learned to ride a bike, have a good posture etc. once he moved he lost so much weight which enabled him to play easier etc.

he was a yummy chubby baby, thats not the problem. I would have carried him and waited for him to develop, but it helped him so so much to encourage his development (especially becuase he is highly intelligent and his physical and mental development didnt go hand in hand).

he took 14 sessions and we did our 'homework' at home too. no pressure, but very motivating.

look up pt for infants on youtube . I have such good experience with pt, cant emphasize it enough (eventhough it did cost us much money).

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She is not overweight.

It doesn't matter at this age.

What matters is that her weight is consistently in the same percentile - has she been 90% for several months, or has this only changed recently?

Doesn't sound like she has poor muscle tone, since she can and does sit. Some kids just don't like rolling.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 6:46 am
Rappel wrote:
She is not overweight.

It doesn't matter at this age.

What matters is that her weight is consistently in the same percentile - has she been 90% for several months, or has this only changed recently?

Doesn't sound like she has poor muscle tone, since she can and does sit. Some kids just don't like rolling.

Huh?
My baby had poor muscle tone and needed therapy for years and he sat at 9 months before he crawled!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Huh?

Our pediatrician said there was no reason for PT and none of these children have any physical issues like being slower than, weaker than, less balanced or less agile than their classmates. If anything it is the opposite. There is a huge genetic component to this and our pediatrician said if there is a family history of being slow to turn or walk just let it be and move on.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, I facilitate rolling with her every day. Socially and cognitively she seems to be doing great. Excellent eye contact from very young, babbles, hums when I sing to her, tries to imitate mama, dada, baba.

It’s mainly her weight and weak motor skills I’m worried about. I feel terrible that she’s overweight. I blame myself that maybe its because I gave her formula so early...

My kiddo was off the charts for weight and he nursed until 16 months. He had 2 formula bottles in the hospital for jaundice and that is it.
Don't blame the formula!
For some reason there seems to be a correlation (not a direct connection but happens many times together) with low muscle tone and weight gain.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Huh?
My baby had poor muscle tone and needed therapy for years and he sat at 9 months before he crawled!

My kid sat at 6 months!! He has low muscle tone from head to toe. He has near sighted prescription glasses (low muscle tone in eyes)
He has speech for articulation issues (low muscle tone in mouth) which he has mostly outgrown now but when he was younger, people around could not understand his language.
He has OT for handwriting (low muscle tone in hands) which he needs a lot of work on. When he was younger it was scissor skills, core muscle strengthening, fine motor activities. He used to have trouble dressing/undressing, finally figured out buttons on his own shirt around age 6.
He has PT obviously, for all the milestonescame in later. Running, jumping, skipping, balance, climbing etc
He had SEIT for when he was much younger and really needed help with artic and learns better 1 on 1 (as do most children, nothing extreme BH). As they said he had an immature sensory nervous system she was able to reduce distraction, teach him a skill and then go back to class and generalize it so he could function independently in the classroom. My goodness going back..... he has come such a long way!!! His Rebbi says he asks 4th grade questions and all the therapists and teachers say he has such a depth of understanding. He joined in the ball games this year!
All the therapy investments more than paid off, and I feel that he is ahead in so many emotional areas which at the end of the day, are the most important.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Our pediatrician said there was no reason for PT and none of these children have any physical issues like being slower than, weaker than, less balanced or less agile than their classmates. If anything it is the opposite. There is a huge genetic component to this and our pediatrician said if there is a family history of being slow to turn or walk just let it be and move on.

You are right. There is a huge genetic component.
Does that mean I should not help my son overcome the struggles my husband has to deal with???
My husband has the same walking gait as my son did when he was 3. Looks normal to all, but the p.t. showed me how his ankle is and how easily fatigues when walks in this pattern. Boruch Hashem my son's pattern is getting better!
My husband has such terrible handwriting that the Rebbi asks if I could please write the mitzvah notes and I need to fill out all forms. He can only write legibly in script. Okay so it's genetic! Should the answer be -Let's skip OT for my son???
My husband could not learn well when he was younger until he went to a small class size. It is genetic! Should the answer be- Let is skip the SEIT help and OT? My husband has a brilliant mind and is doing very well in life, so let's just let genetics play out?

My husband did not have any speech issues nor near sighted prescription. So yes, low muscle tone is genetic. Great! Intervention is key. My husband is extremely into my son getting therapy, and cooks suppers for the nights that I am schlepping all my kids to the therapy center for p.t.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:36 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

The is a range of norms for gross motor milestones and the ages you mentioned are well past that. Your pediatrician is incorrect here, I don’t doubt that intervention could have helped them, there are probably some underlying deficits in tone and coordination.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:36 am
My baby nursed exclusively and was 90th percentile unlike my other children. She didn't care to roll much but she sat at 7-8 months and crawled soon after. Walked at 12 months but only started to slow down in weight gain once she started jumping and running and being more active. She's not a big eater at all, I don't know how she got so big so fast. Every two weeks she was going to the next clothing size, I couldn't keep up.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
The is a range of norms for gross motor milestones and the ages you mentioned are well past that. Your pediatrician is incorrect here, I don’t doubt that intervention could have helped them, there are probably some underlying deficits in tone and coordination.

Literally not they are exceptional in regard to this area now I.e. above average coordination and tone. Someone I know who is a PT was shocked also since she wanted to evaluate my kids and see if it had any impact on them now as toddlers and beyond and nope she said they performed above average. Because they learn all this garbage in school. It's complete garbage to think everyone needs help only the people who actually will be affected down the line do. So if 75% of people could benefit fine but maybe 25% are just slower and that's ok. I would never want my child to walk before 18 months and was disappointed with my one child who did. It's a massive headache.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
LOL you say this from which experience? Bc personal (and associated) would have it otherwise.

If you think anecdotes beat science, that's already a problem.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Literally not they are exceptional in regard to this area now I.e. above average coordination and tone. Someone I know who is a PT was shocked also since she wanted to evaluate my kids and see if it had any impact on them now as toddlers and beyond and nope she said they performed above average. Because they learn all this garbage in school. It's complete garbage to think everyone needs help only the people who actually will be affected down the line do. So if 75% of people could benefit fine but maybe 25% are just slower and that's ok. I would never want my child to walk before 18 months and was disappointed with my one child who did. It's a massive headache.

Above average tone is not a good thing. Aside from that, why is a child walking before 18 months, which is the uppermost normal range for walking, a massive headache?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics