Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Babysitting, need some advice!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:28 pm
Ok so I started doing babysitting in my house, I have my baby in the group whose 9 months and another 9 month old, than there’s 2 newborns, 1 didn’t start yet... today was the first day with the newborn and I felt the whole I was trying to make sure the big babies don’t go near the small one, has anyone did a group with these type of ages how did u do it? I need some tips? I know how to take care of both ages just have to figure out how to do that together and giving them all attention?

jd1212

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:30 pm
I would get an assistant. What if two are crying at once? They’re tiny.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:33 pm
I know and they need the most attention more than the older ones... I feel like I should’ve stuck to one age

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:51 pm
What's the layout of your house? You can put both in 2 different rooms, like dining room and bedroom with an open door in between so that all 4 babies are visible to you, but not on top of each other. Even a bedroom and a hallway, with a baby gate in between. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-.....C5UMQ
Newborns sleep a lot. Where do the newborns spend most of their day; in a crib or their stroller? A 9 month old shouldn't be able to get to a newborn inside a crib. And if a baby is asleep,
they can be in a different room as long as you check up on each one every 15 mins or so.
Or get a really large playard for the older kids to play in together so they don't attack the newborns. Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Playpen.....VW4NR
https://www.amazon.com/North-S.....TY1HU
But make sure they still get enough time to crawl around when the newborns are asleep. It's important for their gross motor development.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 8:08 pm
I literally can’t imagine. Sounds not realistic to me

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 8:11 pm
I don't know anyone that does these ages together on their own. Whoever takes newborns it's only till 6 months old. Whoever does both ages, has an assistant.

r1

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 8:19 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I don't know anyone that does these ages together on their own. Whoever takes newborns it's only till 6 months old. Whoever does both ages, has an assistant.

This.

Too late now but for others or if somethings are not here finalized- I would aim for a rolling omission. Meaning you taken one baby then wait a bit till you and that baby adjust and then taking the next one

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:23 pm
not that it's legal or recommended but I was an assistant in a group that took all ages newborn through 2 and a half. We had anywhere from 10 to 13 kids at a time. I was supposed to be the part time assistant but I was left in charge by myself more often than not. So I'd typically "square away" one age group and then deal with the next. Change feed and burp newborns while toddlers played, then nap the newborns while changing and feeding toddlers. While toddlers nap, change feed and burp newborns.... repeat. Didn't have anytime to read or play with the kids, but they all got diapers and food. I was able to bottle feed 3-4 at a time by bottling two while propping bottles for 1-2 with me sitting right there.

So when newborns were awake, I'd be right near them so toddlers didn't get too close.

your 9 month olds are likely crawling though, not walking..... so maybe easier to set up a gated section just for them with just their toys and activities.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:44 pm
Keep the newborns in a pac n' play. You can do tummy time in there.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:09 pm
My next door neighbor babysits a mix of kids up to age 2 and has done this for decades. Her living room is childproof and has a bunch of baby and toddler toys. It also has a couple of baby swings and a pack n play. There are more pack n plays upstairs for naps. She sits on the couch holding/feeding the younger babies and supervising the kids that are playing in the floor. She pops the babies in the swings and the pack n play when she needs her hands free. She follows a schedule regarding feeding and napping the non-newborns, but she’s flexible about it if a particular kid needs a different routine.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:12 pm
I sent to a babysitter for years that did newborn-2 yrs
She had lots of baby activities around the room. Swing. Jumperoo. Bouncer. Chair. She would rotate baby around plus floor time. Lots of toys on floor for older babies.
I think the first day is hardest. Prob first week also. But prob once you get into a routine it should get easier.

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:26 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
Or get a really large playard for the older kids to play in together so they don't attack the newborns. Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Playpen.....VW4NR
https://www.amazon.com/North-S.....TY1HU
But make sure they still get enough time to crawl around when the newborns are asleep. It's important for their gross motor development.

Or you can put the little ones inside the play yard, either in a bouncy seat or on the floor for tummy time, and let the bigger ones roam freely in the rest of the room. Newborns won't care that they're "contained" in a smaller space and the older babies won't feel like their room to explore their environment is limited.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers