Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Your number one pesach recipe
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:21 am
Salmon in white wine
8 slices salmon
3 onions slices
1 cup sugars
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup white wine
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cloves
Carmelize onion and sugar over low for 15 - 20 min. Add rest ing. Being to boil and reduce heat. Add salmon and simmer 15 minutes.

Mango slasa
1 mango cubed
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 cucmber diced
1/2 small red onion diced
3 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt.
Combine all ing. Let marinate overnight before serving.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:38 am
CHICKEN MARSALA

Chop one onion, and saute in oil, or whatever you use.

Coat chicken cutlets in potato starch, add to skillet, Brown on both sides.

Add 1/2 cup of marsala wine, 1/4 cup sherry, and 1 box sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook 10 minutes, or until chicken is done.

CITRUS SALMON

Preheat oven to 400

Mix juice 1 orange (about 1/4 cup), 2 T honey, 2 tsp garlic, 1 T dijon mustard (we use the fake stuff, or you can skip it for Pesach), 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over 2 pounds salmon fillets

Bake 12-15 minutes

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:40 am
Oh my gooodness!
Thanks hearty appetite and everyone taking the time to post!
I’m actually getting excited for pesach!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:12 pm
If you eat gebrokts, the rolls are a must. Posting from the source, since its fun to look at. http://kora.matrix.msu.edu/fil.....6.pdf

EDIT --

I don't see it in that version, but the eggplant is also very good.

Here are the rolls:

http://www.sadiesalome.com/rec......html

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
If you eat gebrokts, the rolls are a must. Posting from the source, since its fun to look at. http://kora.matrix.msu.edu/fil.....6.pdf

EDIT --

Here are the rolls:

Love the yiddish. And the use of peanut oil. She recommends cottonseed or walnut to substitute nowadays. We've been using light olive oil instead of the cottonseed and our baked Pesach goodies are finally edible (there's just a certain taste /smell to cottonseed).

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:50 pm
This thread is such a good idea. I've been making Pesach for lots of years, and yet I'm finding this very helpful. New ideas are always good!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

EDIT --

Here are the rolls:

I can't seem to open the rolls recipe!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:
This thread is such a good idea. I've been making Pesach for lots of years, and yet I'm finding this very helpful. New ideas are always good!

I'm interested in knowing what ideas you are finding useful!

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:58 pm
There’s a great egg kichel recipe that’s really good. I’ll need to post when my kitchen is open.

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I can't seem to open the rolls recipe!

From here :

How to Make Passover Rolls
(and Save Yourself from the Bondage of Matzah)
Do I have a recipe for you! It's not particularly well-know, but you've been looking for it all your life. It'll mean you can make yourself actual sandwiches during Passover, rather than the crumbly matzah-based messes you've endured all this time. I rescued it from an old booklet published by a cooking oil company in the 1950s, referenced by my grandmother z"l for 50+ years, and recently handed down to me. Here it is:

Yiddish recipe for Passover Rolls

What's that, you can't read Yiddish? Neither can I. Truth be told, the pamphlet was published back-to-front in Yiddish and front-to-back in English.

As you can see, the Planters Edible Oil Company, purveyors of peanut oil since 1906, distributed these recipes a way of encouraging Jewish housewives to use the company's "Hi Hat Peanut Oil" during their Passover preparations. What I find most interesting about this booklet as a cultural artifact is that the use of Yiddish means it is clearly advertising peanut oil to not-yet-assimilated Ashkenazi Jews. But Ashkenazi Jews don't eat kitniyot (legumes) on Passover, and peanuts are kitniyot!

Or so I thought. A bit of research shows that back in the day only some communities in Eastern Europe had prohibitions on peanuts, so in the early decades of the 20th century, peanut oil was certified Kosher for Passover by American rabbinical authorities for those Jews who had the custom of eating it. Even when I first made this recipe in 1993 I recall using Kosher for Passover peanut oil. Sometime since, unfortunately, these authorities pulled the fence around the law further out by invoking the "Eastern European Jews are easily confused" clause to outlaw peanut oil for everyone, since we none of us can be trusted any longer to know our family's minhag (custom). However, at the time Kosher certification was revoked, the peanuts-as-kitniyot and especially the peanut oil-as-kitniyot issues were by no means closed, a situation that persists to this day. Alas, the rabbis have spoken, Kosher for Passover peanut oil no longer exists, so I recommend you settle for walnut or cottonseed oil instead.

History lesson over; time to cook. Before you start, preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet.

ingredients
Start with 2/3 c. water, 1/3 c. vegetable oil,
1 T sugar, and 1/3 t. salt.

Combine in a small pot and bring to a boil.

Stir in a cup of matzah meal.

Boil for a second longer.

Allow mixture to cool slightly before adding eggs.

Stir in three eggs one at a time.

The next part is my favorite. This recipe was the first my grandmother ever taught me to make, when I helped make Passover seder for a Home Ec. assignment in 8th grade. I couldn't believe that in real, grown-up cooking one was permitted to make such a mess!

Grease your hands with vegetable oil.

Take some of the matzah meal mixture from the pot.

Form a round ball. The recipe recommends 2" in
diameter, but I find that makes the rolls too small for sandwiches, so I always make them bigger.

Arrange balls on greased baking sheet.

Put trays of rolls into preheated oven and bake for an hour.

When finished, cool on a wire rack.

Here is the finished roll—crisp and golden brown on the outside, moist and airy on the inside. You will surely want more rolls than this recipe creates, but do not double it. It won't come out properly. Start subsequent batches each from scratch.

Every Passover when we have these rolls at seder for the first time in a year, my family and I agree all over again that these rolls are so delicious we'd willingly eat them year-round. Eight days of Passover roll-based sandwiches are a delight—one that now your family can share. I wish a Zisen und Freylikhen Pesach to you all!

Frumme

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Did not read through, just wanted to put this out there. Whatever Shabbos and Yom Tov food you generally make, is probably ok with Pesach ingredients too. Kosher for Pesach Fish and soup is made the same way. Potato kugel is exactly the same, Broccoli kugel can be done with eggs and Mayo as base, chicken cutlets just fried in something else, chicken on bone same can add potatoes around, cooked veggies same, meat same, fried or baked burgers. The only thing that’s really different is the baking and homemade Lukshen. I even use my same chocolate mousse recipe all year long including Pesach. If you have a good gluten free recipe then it’s probably Pesachdik too!!

My problem is a lot of the YT/shabbos foods I make are kitniyos! Chummus, soy sauce chicken/fish, sushi cake, lentil soup, etc. Good thing cornstarch is easily replaced by potato starch, lol.

But yes many of the basic shabbos foods are KLP (or easily KLP with some substitution). Potato kugel, roast chicken with veggies, potato starch schnitzel, moroccan gefilte fish, ratatouille, guacamole, lemon salmon, tilapia with peppers, moussaka, babaganoush (with mayo, not techina), cole slaw (some hold that a cabbage can be "peeled"), ices, avocado chocolate mousse, butternut squash soup, potato leek soup, etc

Edit: wanted to add another recipe so thread doesn't get derailed

Bartenura ices
1 bottle moscato (Bartenura, Sara Bee, anything)
3 kiwis, diced (or other fun diced fruit)

Mix together, pour into ice cube tray. Freeze for at least 4 hours. Either use as ice cubes in your alcoholic drink or blend in blender to make a slushy

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:22 pm
cbsp wrote:
From here :

Thanks for doing that! We always called them "sinkers." They're amazing fresh from the oven. The next day, not so much.

I didn't grow up religious, but we always "did" Pesach. IIRC, everyone did peanut oil. There were huge displays. Then .... there weren't.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:27 pm
Definitely this one. Make it for both sedarim and it comes out delicious.

Salt Water
Mix 1 cup salt and 1 cup boiling water.

Can’t have Pesach without it!

My second favorite recipe is chocolate milk, but you only asked for one...

(Posting anonymously because I share my prized recipe with all my friends and family)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:48 pm
Mishpacha 2 weeks ago had a chicken Marsala with beef fry, chicken tenders, mushrooms, white wine, balsamic vinegar (you can use red wine and a little honey or maple syrup) and I'm trying to remember what else. I won't say it's number one but it's a great addition to this thread IMO.

(I think it would be ok without mushrooms, for those who avoid them over Pesach.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Thanks for doing that! We always called them "sinkers." They're amazing fresh from the oven. The next day, not so much.

I didn't grow up religious, but we always "did" Pesach. IIRC, everyone did peanut oil. There were huge displays. Then .... there weren't.

We call them baked kneidels lol. They're delicious straight out of the oven. I condensed the steps so it takes much quicker to make. Mine come out flat and round like burger buns. Delicious with burgers. Or with cream cheese, sliced tomato and sliced pickle. We don't eat a lot of matzah but we make this once on chol hamoed.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:56 pm
Meringues! I only make them on Pesach. Kids go crazy for them. Easy and cheap.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:44 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Pulled brisket
1 1/2 lb second cut brisket
1/4 cup oil
Salt and pepper for sprinkling brisket
1 large onion
1 cup orange juice or wine
1/4 cup honey
Massage oil into brisket and sprinkle salt and pepper. Spread onion in pan and add brisket on top. Pour ingredients over . Cover tightly and bake 350 for 3 hours or till very soft.

We don't use honey, would you sub sugar here?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:47 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I’d like it!

Finally got to my computer to look up my pepper steak recipe

Pepper Steak

Sautee 2 onions
Brown 2 lbs pepper steak
Add
¼ c red wine
2 T lemon juice
1 T sugar
1 t salt
Cook 2 hours
After 1.5 hours can add veggies (I didn’t and it was delish)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:58 pm
cbsp wrote:
From here :

How to Make Passover Rolls
(and Save Yourself from the Bondage of Matzah)

I've never tried Pesach rolls. But if I do this year it won't be this recipe, if only for the bolded.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:13 pm
tweety1 wrote:
We don't eat gebrokt, but we love knaidlach. So one of the first things I make is knaidlach. My exact recipe is in my pesach kitchen but it's basically dark ground chicken, mashed potatoes, eggs, and salt. Cooked in water. It's delicious! I also make a delicious Italian ices without eggs.

Oh wow does that taste like real matza balls?

ETA: really no chocolate at all?
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics