Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What helps you get to Pesach with joy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:36 pm
Would you share any tips and ideas that help you clean, cook and prepare for Pesach with peace of mind and joy?

I don’t do any spring cleaning. I only clean what’s absolutely necessary like the parts of the kitchen I’ll use, and wherever else we have taken food throughout the year. My biggest stress is emptying kitchen cabinets to make space for Pesach stuff, cleaning the kitchen, then cooking while keeping my family satiated without a separate place to eat (when it’s too cold outside). Other years I bought Pesach “foods” like Pesach pasta, Pesach pizza etc, but though they were decent enough to pass, they’re not real food.

So please share what you actively do to make Pesach preps stress free and pleasant.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:48 pm
You start off your day with a hot drink. You work systematically, giving ample time to avoid stress. Reward yourself periodically according to your likes. For instance, go on an outing to buy an item for Pesach (this will also help you look forward to the Chag more).
While you clean, play a podcast, music etc... Pesach cleaning can be so therapeutic. Once you immerse yourself in the process, and have entered the "fĺow", the cleaning itself will feel rewarding, and you can be joyful knowing that this mitzvah connects you to Hashem .
(Coming from someone that complains so much, but secretly looks forward to it, for all the reasons above and more.)

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:53 pm
Not there yet but working on it step by step. I spring clean starting in December/January, and I make it very clear it's SPRING cleaning, not Pesach cleaning. The only "real" Pesach cleaning is the kitchen which can't be done far ahead anyway.

Step one for me was buying a stove with a self-clean oven.
Step two, put a big cabinet in the hall near the kitchen and stored 90% of my Pesach stuff in it, so it doesn't have to be hauled to a back bedroom after Pesach and back to the kitchen for next Pesach.
Step three, put a bookcase to the hall so I can set my Pesach dishes in it and not have to empty out the chometz dishes to make room in the cabinet for the Pesach dishes, pack them, haul them to a back bedroom, and reverse after Pesach. The rest of the year we display a few picture frames, chochkes and books on the shelves.
Step four, bought a small set of plastic drawers to store Pesach supplies as I buy them. The rest of the year those drawers can be used for temporary storage of other things like items for MM before Purim, Sukkah decorations before Sukkos etc.

Perfect it's not, as I still have to pack up the contents of a few kitchen cabinets to make room for Pesach stuff. My dream is to be able to just close off all the chometz cabinets and open up permanent Pesach cabinets. This is about as likely to happen as I am to be spotted by a Hollywood talent scout in line at the grocery store, but I can dream, can't I?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 3:28 pm
1- I start organizing all insides early( tu bishvat time). I call it “winter cleaning”
2- get some cleaning help
3- develop a system and stick to it yearly
4- the week of pesach routine makes a big difference. I kasher one day and turn over. The next day cook some things..... when theres a routine it’s less pressure

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 3:28 pm
I find joy in the results. Of looking at the clean fridge I scrubbed, floors washed, food made, etc. And knowing that I actually did it. And to say l'kavod pesach while cleaning.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 3:34 pm
I don’t empty cabinets. I bought sterilite shelves that I keep in storage and I bring them up to my kitchen for Pesach, makes it a little less convenient than using cabinets but it’s much easier for me than cleaning and lining cabinets and makes turning over both ways much easier.
The days after I turn over but before Pesach are hard. My kids are picky and they don’t want chicken and potatoes for an extra week. I bH have a grill and use that to make hot dogs one night and we do take out once or twice. Some years if it’s warm we eat outside and some years I set up a chometz station in the den and clean that room last minute.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 3:40 pm
I love pesach baking. I look forward to it all year. I'm a permanent cabinets in my kitchen so I never have to move stuff back and forth. Last year, I put in a small Pesach kitchen so I can bake earlier.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 6:56 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I don’t empty cabinets. I bought sterilite shelves that I keep in storage and I bring them up to my kitchen for Pesach, makes it a little less convenient than using cabinets but it’s much easier for me than cleaning and lining cabinets and makes turning over both ways much easier.

Would you share a link or picture? And do you keep the stuff directly on the shelves? (I have a crawling baby so I’d need things to be higher up or unpackable.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics