Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Declutterring the kids Knick-knacks

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:35 pm
Hi. My kids rooms are full of clutter that’s making it really challenging to clean for Pesach. I keep most of my house very neat, kitchen, laundry room, my room, even the playroom the clutter is all under control. Only what I need, and everything has its place.
They are 7, 8, and 10.
I told my kids they need to pick items to get rid of. I gave each kid a large box and told them to pick their most important things that they can’t live without and put them inside. One dd took a second box. Said she has too many important things. Gave another pile of stuff to her brother who was thrilled with her giveaways.
One ds actually managed to pare down some items and put just a few things in his box. Other ds tried stuffing everything he owns into one box. Emptied tons of stuff onto the floor so he can easily see his stuff and then decide, leaving a huge mess.

On one hand some things really need to go. On the other hand they can’t part with it. I read on the other thread how someone husband randomly throws her things into the garbage. How awful it made her feel. I don’t want to do that to my kids. How can I get rid of their things to keep their spaces reasonably tidy without them feeling like I just tossed their most important item. I’ve tried doing it with them in the past but then they just get distracted by all they’re toys and stuff and start playing with it. I threw out 2 large garbage bags of stuff from ds room while he was in school. he has so much junk he never even noticed.

Any advice?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:38 pm
They should pick what they want to keep and store them in the box you gave them. They shouldn't decide what to throw out or give away. Just pick what they want. And leave the rest of the pile (which you can then deal with later, without causing them trauma with the visual).
Once they're old enough they'll be able to choose what to discard and what to give away (giving away to someone in the same house doesn't count).

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 8:08 pm
This is why I hired a professional organizer. She did not come into their rooms and throw away their things. Kids were present and made decisions. Without mom (me) involved it's just a lot less emotional and a lot more rational.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics