Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler Coughing Nightly

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:33 pm
My 3 year old coughs nearly every single night in his sleep. Loud hacking cough "episodes" - right now the coughing has been going on for 15 minutes, almost non-stop. The coughing doesn't wake him but it's driving me insane and I feel so bad for him. Every few seconds there's sort of a choking sound at the end of each cough.
- it's not covid
- pediatrician said it's nothing but I think it's crazy
- this is an ongoing issue, lasting months

could this be some weird form of asthma? (some family history)
allergy? No known or suspected food allergies. Figured maybe dust mite allergy but child recently stayed by someone in a pretty dusty place ( TMI ) and was fine. I wash sheets and pillows often.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

ETA, sometimes the coughing lasts so long and is so severe, child ends up vomiting Sad

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:36 pm
Sounds like allergies. Is it possible you have mold in his bedroom?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:38 pm
Are you able to recognize a croupy cough? That’s what it sounds like to me, especially the vomiting. It’s generally worse at night which is why the doctor would probably have not mentioned it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:42 pm
No mold in the room.
Can croup last for many months?

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:45 pm
Can you (or did you) record a complete "episode" and play it for the pediatrician?

I would also think maybe allergies. Can you take him for testing? Put in an air purifier in the room? Use allergen proof mattres and pillow protectors?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:00 pm
I had a child with reflux and asthma and this is what the nights were like. Not a mucous cough more like a dry cough. If pediatrician doesn’t give you answers I would tell you start by a Pulminologist, they know they’re stuff and will guide you if it’s possible asthma or maybe acid reflux

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:05 pm
Maybe allergic to dust?

Remove carpet, rugs and drapes.

Also, try a thicker pillow so child is more elevated.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:10 pm
No rugs, carpets, or drapes of any kind in the house.
Child does not like sleeping on a pillow so an elevated one will not help.
I've been to an allergist who refused to do any testing because "allergies don't look like this". I didn't even bother arguing with him, but I do want to go to another allergist.
I was thinking maybe asthma, hadn't considered reflux. I guess I'll schedule an appointment with a pulmonologist first.

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No rugs, carpets, or drapes of any kind in the house.
Child does not like sleeping on a pillow so an elevated one will not help.

Can you elevate the head of the bed /mattress from underneath so that even without a pillow he's still getting the elevated angle? Doesn't have to be so high and still can make a difference.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:16 pm
cbsp wrote:
Can you elevate the head of the bed /mattress from underneath so that even without a pillow he's still getting the elevated angle? Doesn't have to be so high and still can make a difference.

Good idea, worth a try while we wait for an appointment.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:20 pm
2 of my kids had this as babies/toddlers. The doctor said it's an asthma type of thing combined with seasonal allergies. Their mattresses were raised, it really helped, and they took Benadryl or Claritin before bed when it was really bad.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:29 pm
My kids have asthma. My pediatrician explained that there is something called cough variant asthma and coughing fits at night to the point of throwing up is the classic example. I would definitely suspect asthma and possibly allergies. Find a better allergist who also specializes in asthma.

bnm

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:11 pm
go to a pulmonologist.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:02 am
That's definitely not normal and can definitely be a form of asthma. See a pulmonologist. I don't know why your pediatrician would just blow you off.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:29 am
What everyone else said. I also want to add that reflux could be triggered by an allergy, sometimes not an allergy that would be diagnosed by an allergist bec they only say it's an allergy if it's above a certain level. But removing the offending food could clear it up. We went thru this for years with one kid. When we finally figured it out, the Nighttime coughing fits ended.
One more thing just came to mind, parasites. Good luck finding a doctor who will listen to you on that one tho.

newmother

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 7:40 am
It sounds like my dd with asthma. For temporary relief use a humidifier in the room to make the air not as dry and please see a pulmonologist as soon as you can

bwaybabe85

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:27 am
Use a humidifier and air purifier in the room and see if that helps.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:36 am
My doctor told me that a consistent night cough often means asthma. Coughing during daytime naps as well would more likely signify a post-nasal drip. Definitely see a pulmonologist if you’re worried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics