Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
All houses on the market in Passaic have 3 bedrooms?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:51 pm
We're looking to move to Passaic and have started looking at houses. It seems that no matter the price, there are inevitably only 3 bedrooms. Why is that? Are people really going to spend over $500K on a house like that?

What's our best bet if we want at least 4 bedrooms and in the long run hope to have 5?

(We're a young couple, don't need more than three bedrooms now but would prefer to have it if we're going to shell out the money!)

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:53 pm
Oy hatzlacha. The housing market in Passaic now is awful!!!! Someone I know just looked for a house for about 3 years.
Your best bet is to find an agent- there are many local ones, and can tell you if what you're looking for is realistic

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:54 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Oy hatzlacha. The housing market in Passaic now is awful!!!! Someone I know just looked for a house for about 3 years.
Your best bet is to find an agent- there are many local ones, and can tell you if what you're looking for is realistic

We have an agent. I am curious to hear from people here. We know the market is difficult.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:01 pm
Bump - any other input? What do people in Passaic do when their families expand?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bump - any other input? What do people in Passaic do when their families expand?

Sorry, I'm not sure about that- I live in an apartment at the moment (I have 2 babies) and we're probably not planning on sticking around for long.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They expand their houses. Some people move, but often do construction on the new house before moving in.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:06 pm
Also, look in Clifton as well as Passaic (unless you want Passaic specifically) it's all really the same area, unless you want to davka be close to the yeshiva
The crowds are slightly different, but nice people in both places Smile

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:11 pm
In short - construction. This is the norm in this community. We are in a 3 bedroom with 4 kids and not only are these house mostly 3 bedroom but the bedrooms are VERY small for the most part. I feel your frustration

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Also, look in Clifton as well as Passaic (unless you want Passaic specifically) it's all really the same area, unless you want to davka be close to the yeshiva
The crowds are slightly different, but nice people in both places Smile

Community-wise we are probably better off in Passaic.

Also, aren't the zoning laws stricter in Clifton?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
They expand their houses. Some people move, but often do construction on the new house before moving in.

So that's the norm? We were wondering, because it will definitely affect how we approach home-buying.

People extend or build up?

How much does that typically run in Passaic?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:22 pm
I happen to know people who looked at houses with potential to build and then took a contractor with them for their opinion and estimate.
Hatzlacha
Side note Clifton and Passaic really overlap in terms of community. Unless you have a specific shul in mind!
Although in very general terms some Clifton locations have smaller homes and Passaic the older bigger homes. But It varies. Not the best market now -but hakool bdei shayim. Should be with mazal and bracha

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:38 pm
Clifton!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:57 pm
Depending on your budget, there are more than a handful of large homes on large lots. Those will be in a much higher range, like 1,000,000 and above. But renovation on old houses here can land you at a higher price mark.
About building up, Passaic is allowed to build the attic fully while I don’t believe Clifton is.
People that do a full demolition are advised to keep the base of the house intact because the older ones are wider. The new law only allows more narrow construction unless it was already “grandfathered in”

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:50 pm
I live in Passaic and my husband built a 4th room for my son. I also have room to expand in the back if you want to buid up and out. I am looking to put my house on the market soon- low 400's
if you want to pm me I can give you the name of the agent I will be using.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I live in Passaic and my husband built a 4th room for my son. I also have room to expand in the back if you want to buid up and out. I am looking to put my house on the market soon- low 400's
if you want to pm me I can give you the name of the agent I will be using.

I can't pm if you're anon, and I'd prefer not to go under my sn.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:39 pm
Didn’t realize I was anon🤦‍♀️
You can email me if that’s ok- lotsofquestions12@gmail.com

Simcha36

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 4:14 pm
You are welcome to pm

if you are still looking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating