Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Living near parents

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:23 pm
Do you live walking distance to your parents or in laws? Are you happy with that arrangement?

lovingmommy3417

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:28 pm
I live in walking distance of both my parents and in laws and love it. It completely depends on your relationship though and if you could speak up if you need a break or space from them.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:28 pm
I live about a 45 min walk/10 minute drive away from my parents. My in-laws live in another state.

My parents are very, very careful about not butting into our business ever. They are also amazingly supportive, will have us over for shabbos if we ask, keep an open invitation to their house in general, babysit for me if I need, let me borrow/ take from pantry items if I need. It is an ideal arrangement for me. I am thankful they live nearby every day.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:29 pm
When I first got married I lived a 3 minute walk from my inlaws and hated every single minute of it, we only lived there for a couple months before moving to a house that's about a 5 minute walk to my parents. Bh we are much happier here but that might have to do with the fact that here there is a much bigger community and a much more welcoming community. Even my dh likes it much better here than living in the town he grew up in.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:29 pm
I do but my parents are older private people. So we see them as often as we go visit there but they dont "help" or get personally involved in our lives.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:30 pm
We live in a different city than my parents and about a 40 minute hard walk from my in laws. I wish we'd live a bit of a closer walk to my in laws so we can easily walk over on shabbos and yom tov.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:36 pm
both dh and I left home as teenagers and neve came back tgo our homecountry. then we got married and moved around (different countries).
after 3 years we settled in a beautiful kehilla. we have lived there for 10 iyears. now inlaws and parents moved 2 minutes away from us. they become older want to be close to their grandchildren. at first we freaked out: neither dh nor I were used to be around our families. it has been two years since they moved to our neighborhood and I must say I believe it was the right thing. its not easier, but at their stage in life being left alone in a far away country without relatives/kids /grandkids near by was wrong. so yes I guess I do enjoy living near them even if it means more work/responsibility/emotional stress.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:39 pm
When we got married, we settled in the same town as my parents, but not close. A few years later, when we got the option to buy a house, and it was within a 10 minutes walk of my parents, we chose to move closer. It's actually really nice that my kids can visit my parents on shabbos, my siblings can come over easily etc. We really enjoy it, and so do they.
I wouldn't have done it when we were first married, and it helps that my parents are not the type to get involved or come over a lot.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:46 pm
Walking distance to my ILs. My parents are an hour drive. Love living close to my ILs. We share Shabbos and YT meals often, kids usually go eat at their house one weeknight and visit with them on Shabbos afternoons. Everyone gets along well.

I've no desire to live closer to my parents. I'll leave it at that.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:55 pm
Walk from my parents, 20 minutes drive to my in laws. It's annoying in that occasionally I just want to drop something off or see them for a few minutes but it's a whole trek.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:56 pm
No
Thrilled to live far from my parents.
I miss my inlaws terribly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating