Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Twin boys more common?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:28 am
My cousin from London was one of them who just had twin boys! Maybe you're my cousin 😊 can't imagine her having the Internet though.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:30 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
There have been more boys being born in general I think.

Maybe something to do with covid lol? Everything gets blamed on that. But a woman's pH has an effect on gender outcome and a lot of people have put on weight due to Covid. Putting on weight often sways boy! I'm pregnant and really hoping for a girl though.

English3

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
My cousin from London was one of them who just had twin boys! Maybe you're my cousin 😊 can't imagine her having the Internet though.

Yes there is a whole bunch of us. I think there was five or six sets born in four weeks.

English3

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:14 am
Don't think I am your cousin but you never know🤣

Last edited by English3 on Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Actually these days it’s less so. IF treatments are a lot more advanced and controlled, and drs generally refrain from doing multiples.

For IVF, they are being more careful about only placing one embryo, but clomid and injectables also create more twins.

English3

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
For IVF, they are being more careful about only placing one embryo, but clomid and injectables also create more twins.

Whoever I know who had now twins in London all have a bunch of kids. One woman it's her tenth and eleventh.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:28 am
English3 wrote:
Yes there is a whole bunch of us. I think there was five or six sets born in four weeks.

Are you chassidish, and is your father a dayan? Sorry you don't have to answer Smile I'm curious now. Mazel tov btw!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:29 am
English3 wrote:
Whoever I know who had now twins in London all have a bunch of kids. One woman it's her tenth and eleventh.

I think it was 4 and 5 for my cousin and they're all little so definitely no treatment. There are twins in our family.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:20 am
Girls in my community. Dd had three sets in her class.
Actually, in the 4yo class there are three sets of boys now...

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Not always. I have twin sisters, twin cousins, twin nieces. All identical. No IF treatments. I also had a disappearing twin so I am technically a twin as well. Twins can very much run in families without IF treatments being a factor.

Well, according to science, identical twins do not run in families, which means that they would consider all those identical twins in your family to be a "fluke". Although according to my own unscientific observations, they do at times seem to run in families but I could not find any research supporting that at all! And IF treatment does not cause identical twins- only fraternal- since identical is an egg that split and not from two separate eggs.

I come from a very large extended family with kah many many grandchildren and great grandchildren, and there is only one set of twin great grandchildren out of all my grandmother's descendants, presumably as a result of IF treatment (fraternal twin boys). So, I would venture to say that twins do not run on this side of my family at all.

The only twins I've heard of recently are twin baby girls born less than two weeks ago.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:36 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Well, according to science, identical twins do not run in families, which means that they would consider all those identical twins in your family to be a "fluke". Although according to my own unscientific observations, they do at times seem to run in families but I could not find any research supporting that at all! And IF treatment does not cause identical twins- only fraternal- since identical is an egg that split and not from two separate eggs.

I come from a very large extended family with kah many many grandchildren and great grandchildren, and there is only one set of twin great grandchildren out of all my grandmother's descendants, presumably as a result of IF treatment (fraternal twin boys). So, I would venture to say that twins do not run on this side of my family at all.

The only twins I've heard of recently are twin baby girls born less than two weeks ago.

I know that there isn't any science that says it is genetic but the way it looks in my family certainly makes me think that is Very Happy There are a ton of flukes!

English3

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Are you chassidish, and is your father a dayan? Sorry you don't have to answer Smile I'm curious now. Mazel tov btw!

Nope it's not me but I know who you are talking about😊 her father's brother lives in us and is my uncles shver so it is a small world.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:22 pm
English3 wrote:
Nope it's not me but I know who you are talking about😊 her father's brother lives in us and is my uncles shver so it is a small world.

Wow interesting. It really is a small world!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:37 pm
I'm currently pregnant with twins boys Smile

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:56 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
These days if you hear of twins it’s often because of IF treatments.

Not often, no.

And reminder, if you hear about a set of twins who were born, do say Mazel tov and do not ask, “Were they natural?”, because it is none of your business.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:12 pm
Like someone already said, the chances are approx. 50% boy/girl, 25% girl/girl, 25% boy/boy.

That said, I'm curious about the stats I know personally, so here goes....

MY FAMILY
I have twin great uncles (boy/boy)
I have twin siblings (boy/girl)
I have twin children (boy/girl)
4 of my cousins have twins (boy/boy, boy/boy, boy/girl, girl/girl)

MY FRIENDS
Neighbor with twins (girl/girl)
Friend with twins in CA (boy/girl)
Friend with twins from FL (boy/boy)

I know I know more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head, so to tally up:

Girl/Girl = 20%
Boy/boy = 40%
Boy/Girl = 40%

Not a great sample size, though, obviously!

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:14 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Not often, no.

And reminder, if you hear about a set of twins who were born, do say Mazel tov and do not ask, “Were they natural?”, because it is none of your business.

OH SO MUCH THIS!!!!! Personally I didn't do IVF, but this question feels so majorly intrusive and uncomfortable. It bothers me a lot when people ask this. Edit: My point is, regardless of yes/no, it's way too personal to ask someone randomly.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:15 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Not often, no.

Instead, ask one of the following:

"Did you want them?"

"Did you know you were having twins?"

"Which one are you keeping?"

"How much for the smaller one?"

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:27 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Instead, ask one of the following:

"Did you want them?"

"Did you know you were having twins?"

"Which one are you keeping?"

"How much for the smaller one?"

LOL!

Also, "Are they identical?" Especially when they are boy/girl twins.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:01 pm
What's wrong with asking, did you know?

Some ppl don't do sonograms
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more