Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help me where to start

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:01 pm
I need help figuring out a logical plan of making my house pesach'dig, not spring cleaning or organizing. Problem is that my house isnt organized so it's harder to clean. Here is the basic layout of my house, typical high ranch:

upstairs: kitchen, dining/living room, bathroom, kids bedroom 1, kids bedroom 2, master bedroom and bath

downstairs: kids bedroom 3, playroom, bathroom

Because the upstairs has both living and sleeping areas, it gets difficult to ensure the bedrooms remain clean once they're done, especially if I start now - it's way too long till Pesach to keep hounding the kids. Therefore, I'd think it makes sense to start with downstairs. But the playroom is also very hard to keep clean and it's a huge wreck since it hasnt been organized and cleaned properly since Chanuka time (and anyone who has a playroom knows that is a veeeery long time) and if I start with that I will quickly lose my drive.

In what order would you clean my house if it was yours?

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:08 pm
Start with any room that can get locked up or at least shut a door on it. I would start the downstairs bedrooms and playroom- and then make a no food rule. But put a timer. You are looking for pretzels or Cheerios, not organizing and sorting like a magazine. Dump buckets, shake out crumbs, fill back up with toys that are on the floor. Toss obvious garbage and Chometz and move on.
Bedrooms too- don't sort out small clothes, organize books, or hang pictures. Do that once you are pesachdik and are waiting for chicken to cook :-).
Then make sure kids don't bring food away from the table for the next 3 weeks.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:51 pm
Plan to lock off as many closets as possible. Toys should all be locked away where possible, and all kitchen cabinets. Do a little each day so it's not so overwhelming.
I don't know yet how I'm going to cope either. I think I will start with checking closets etc for any obvious chometz. Also I want to switch my kids snacks to either non chometz or kitnios, so I don't need to worry if they take the food out the kitchen. And then be strict at meal-times that food, in particular bread doesn't get taken out.
If you have nice weather, you can also make kids eat outside more, so you know there won't be new chometz.
Remember all you are looking for is CHOMETZ. This is not the time to spring clean-stuff things into closets-don't sort, you can do that another time of year.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:55 pm
One more thing.

Consider not buying chametz cereals and snacks, limit the purchases from now till after Pesach to things made with potatoes, corn or rice.

Sit for any chametz meals, don't allow wandering.

That way, you can be reasonably sure that any food carried into a cleaned room isn't chametz.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:12 pm
I don't have much control over wandering during mealtimes though its somehting I always discourage and try to enforce, right now thats the fact and its the same reason my house isnt organized. life circumstances.

I don't need to serve chometz snacks but we are still eating lots of chometz food such as bread and challah.

I like the idea of starting with the downstairs bedrrom, it's less intimidating than the playroom and by the time I finish the playroom, I'll be able to declare the downstairs pesach'dig. That will help me keep going.

I don't think it's possible for me to lock the toy closet if we're home for pesach. Kitchen cabinets need to be done since we dont sell chometz and I also need the space for my pesach stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics