Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Texas
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My DD lives just outside Austin.

She tells me that there are no vaccines to be had, even if you have preexisting health conditions.

She has asthma, and both of the relatives she lives with have serious autoimmune disorders.

Other people being casual about Covid has a very real impact on their lives. One of her relatives has not left the house for an entire year. The other goes out rarely. Everything is delivered to the doorstep.

DD has been desperate to make friends in her senior year of high school, and this is not happening for her. She probably won't have a prom, or a graduation ceremony. She has worked SO hard to keep her grades up, and she even made the dean's list last year. If any kid deserves to celebrate, she does.

But thanks to people who insist on "radical individualism" and "MAH FREEEEEEDUUUUUMZ!", she will probably have to watch graduation on Zoom. She is very concerned about what her first year of college is going to look like.

Currently people in Texas with the following conditions qualify for the vaccine:
Who's Eligible to Get the Vaccine Now?
Phase 1A: Front-line healthcare workers and residents at long-term care facilities

Phase 1B: People 65+ or people 16+ with a health condition that increases risk of severe COVID‑19 illness, including but not limited to:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Down Syndrome
Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Organ transplantation
Obesity
Pregnancy
Sickle cell disease
Type 2 diabetes

If you have a medical condition not listed above, you may still qualify for the vaccine. Talk to your provider to confirm. https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/c.....nancy

Here are sites in Central Texas that she can contact to see if she qualifies-- https://www.kxan.com/texas-cor.....exas/

The Texas vaccine plan is consistent with other states as to who qualifies so not sure why your daughter believes that she is the exception to the rule. And if you are ok with foreigners flooding Texas and other states without regard to covid then you have no business complaining about citizens wanting their constitutional rights and freedom back as well. That said, Biden did say that there will be enough vaccines for all adults by the end of May so your daughter may end up having an in person graduation after all (although I am not sure why they cant do that anyway outside like many other places are doing) and doesnt have to worry about college next year as things will be back to normal. Did she get into any college already and what are they saying about next year?

DallasIma

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:29 am
Right. You can qualify for the vaccine. But just because you qualify doesn't mean you'll get it. I managed to get both my shots, but my husband is still waiting and waiting and waiting. And he is older than I am and he has more health issues. The distribution system is a patchwork over here. And also, they are trying to target people living in zip codes with concentrations of (non-Jewish) minorities so that those people will get priority for the vaccine.

Personally I don't like the government telling me what to do. But I am going to continue to wear a mask when I go into public places, just out of consideration for other people.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:52 am
DallasIma wrote:
Right. You can qualify for the vaccine. But just because you qualify doesn't mean you'll get it. I managed to get both my shots, but my husband is still waiting and waiting and waiting. And he is older than I am and he has more health issues. The distribution system is a patchwork over here. And also, they are trying to target people living in zip codes with concentrations of (non-Jewish) minorities so that those people will get priority for the vaccine.

That is actually consistent with other states, especially blue states who are prioritizing (non-Jewish) minorities at this time (many of whom are too scared to take it anyway and are refusing it). But Texas is also releasing covid positive non-citizens who came into the country through the open borders (while Jews are being kicked off of flights they paid for and are on legally because their 15 month old child isnt masked or other non-sense) and has no authority not to release them so not sure why anyone is complaining about the state opening up.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:13 am
simcha2 wrote:
You're right,

There has never been a known disease that has been elimination via herd immunity without vaccine

What about the Spanish flu in 1918? Certainly no vaccine. There were 3 waves and then it just left.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My DD lives just outside Austin.

She tells me that there are no vaccines to be had, even if you have preexisting health conditions.

She has asthma, and both of the relatives she lives with have serious autoimmune disorders.

Other people being casual about Covid has a very real impact on their lives. One of her relatives has not left the house for an entire year. The other goes out rarely. Everything is delivered to the doorstep.

DD has been desperate to make friends in her senior year of high school, and this is not happening for her. She probably won't have a prom, or a graduation ceremony. She has worked SO hard to keep her grades up, and she even made the dean's list last year. If any kid deserves to celebrate, she does.

But thanks to people who insist on "radical individualism" and "MAH FREEEEEEDUUUUUMZ!", she will probably have to watch graduation on Zoom. She is very concerned about what her first year of college is going to look like.

This is about coronavirus, not about people.

elsily

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:06 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
What about the Spanish flu in 1918? Certainly no vaccine. There were 3 waves and then it just left.

Vaccines already existed at that point. A number of vaccines were created at that time to try to prevent the Spanish flu. Some may have been effective in reducing death rates. There are a few articles about it on History.com and CDC...

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:12 am

It wasn't ended through herd immunity. Flu is seasonal and mutates every year. It ended because flu season ended (just like every other year) and mutated to a less deadly form.

small bean

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:00 pm
simcha2 wrote:
It wasn't ended through herd immunity. Flu is seasonal and mutates every year. It ended because flu season ended (just like every other year) and mutated to a less deadly form.

Lots of peopele beleive the same will happen with coronavirus. It will never go away and it's here to stay. The first rounds will be mire deadly than in a bunch of years from now. It's like a cold. Colds mutated and became less and less dangerous as they did so.

There are many respected doctors who feel this way.

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:10 pm
If you can show me data that supports that wearing a mask really slowed the spread as did closing businesses then I will say Texas made the wrong decision. When staying home for 3 months didn't eradicate the virus, why would wearing a mask? From what I can tell "change of season" did more for spread than any mask wearing. Remember when this was a "15 day shut-down to slow the spread"--a year later. It was not originally mandated "until it goes away"

simcha2

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:11 pm
small bean wrote:
Lots of peopele beleive the same will happen with coronavirus. It will never go away and it's here to stay. The first rounds will be mire deadly than in a bunch of years from now. It's like a cold. Colds mutated and became less and less dangerous as they did so.

There are many respected doctors who feel this way.

Coronaviruses have always been around and mutating.

But in the over a year, none of the identified mutations have weakened. And unlike flu, it hasn't been seasonal. That is a huge difference.

So yeah, we could just ignore it. But as someone who believes life is a gift from Hashem, writing off millions of extra people - or even one extra person - as collateral damage, seems to high to me.

small bean

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:16 pm
simcha2 wrote:

But in the over a year, none of the identified mutations have weakened. And unlike flu, it hasn't been seasonal. That is a huge difference.

So yeah, we could just ignore it. But as someone who believes life is a gift from Hashem, writing off millions of extra people - or even one extra person - as collateral damage, seems to high to me.

I'm not writing anyone off and it has been as seasonal as the flu. There are flu cases all year also.

I'm just saying many beleive that this is here to stay, vaccine or no vaccine. Hence the need for annual vaccine similar to flu.

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 12:26 pm
simcha2 wrote:

Where I live, in a very "purple" area, people have been wearing masks since last May and the numbers never went down once things opened up again. I know plenty of people who got the virus while "following the rules", yes coronaviruses spread and mutate and they will continue to do so, in the last 5 months I've gotten several colds and a stomach bug, but no Covid-19. My son's teacher had it, was hospitalized and recovered within days, but now that she had it, his class is fairly low risk--though the stomach bug went through the school, so go figure.

These restrictions had to end sometime, remember they were only supposed to "flatten the curve" not make it so that we lived like this until it was gone. People now know how to live safely, wear a mask and social distance and can get a vaccine and tested quickly. Hospitals have better treatment methods. There was never going to be a "good time", but now as temps are back up in the 80s in Texas seems a good time as any.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:54 pm
I'm so jealous of Texas! Enjoy yourselves!

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:03 pm
I'm honestly more concerned that people are allowed to cross the Texas-Mexico border while Covid positive and there is no consequence, tracking or anything border patrol can do. People are still ALLOWED to stay closed and wear masks if they want but its no longer MANDATED.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
If we had all gotten it within the span of a few months, we would have reached herd immunity before the mutations began.

Alot more people would have died but it would have been over alot quicker. We are now looking at years of mask wearing schools and businesses closed and vaccines every 6 months.

517,000 Americans dead -- that 1.5 in every 1000 people.

Are you saying that we shouldn't have taken precuations. We'd have 1 million to 2 million dead, but hey, so long as it isn't me, great news!

I'd rather wear a mask than have other people die.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:44 pm

It killed about 50 million people before it "just left." (About 675,000 in the US. Covid may well surpass it.)

Is that really what you want?

mirelcakes

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Because Not enough of the population has been vaccinated yet

With the vaccine you can still get covid just lowers symptoms. So people can still get it regardless. If someone is afraid of what could happen to them with covid then they should get the vaccine.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:03 pm
Yes it’s extremely concerning that illegal immigrants are coming over the border some testing positive and then no tracking or anything! Chas v Shalom someone could be a super spreader!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:36 pm
South Dakota never had a mask mandate and never closed businesses. I heard the governor speak at CPAC. She was really good! She provided loads of info and let everyone decide. I didn’t realize there was a state like that. They did pretty well covid-wise. Maybe Texas is copying.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Yes it’s extremely concerning that illegal immigrants are coming over the border some testing positive and then no tracking or anything! Chas v Shalom someone could be a super spreader!

How dare you say that.
Illegal immigrants are of zero concern in our country in 2021. Not with Covid or anything else.
Perhaps Americans who keep masks a centimeter too low are super spreaders, but illegals? Don’t even say that ever again.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics