Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Explain this baby behaviour please!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:16 pm
4 month old seems to be eating less sometimes, even after she hasn't eaten for a few hours. I've moved away from "snack feeding" a while ago, and am trying to space feedings, however, I don't understand why after she wakes up and hasn't eaten in four hours, she'll spend 3 minutes on a breast, before showing disinterest. I've managed to get her to take another 3 minutes on the other breast, but that's really not great, because then she's only taking foremilk.

Then, an hour and a half later I'll have to feed her again before a nap, because she's clearly hungry and sometimes she'll then do a full feed, but then I'm getting into really close feedings.

The other life change happening now is that she's sleeping more at night and napping longer during the day. I don't think I need to be worried about illness because when she doesn't want to eat she's not cranky, she's actually engaged and interested in talking to me, looking at every other thing in the room, etc. The better sleep is something we've been working toward through spaced feeding and minding awake windows, so this should be a good thing. (She used to be colicky and waking every couple of hours at night!)

She also seems generally happy at playtime although she "talks" to herself half the time, sometimes with a noise from the stomach that half sounds like a bit of straining but I think it's just her getting to know her voice as she's having normal nappies and doesn't actually seem to be trying to go otherwise.

She also has started to spit up and she didn't used to, but in the past, I suspected she was spitting up in her mouth and swallowing it, so maybe she finally learned how to properly spit up?

Sorry for all these random pieces of information. I'm just hoping people can confirm this is all age appropriate, and maybe offer solutions to get her to feed properly? I do try to remove most stimulation before feeding.

thegiver

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:25 pm
Cluster feeding totally fine

My sure latch is good. If u are even a bit engorged u need to release some milk into bottle cup or sink before so latch won't be loose

Make sure u and baby are comfort able positions. Bring baby to ur breast not ur breast to baby.

Could be age to start solids if that will save u distress.

Good luck!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:25 pm
Teething. It may hurt to eat.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:26 pm
She may be getting too much at once due to the spaced feedings , making her uncomfortable and therefore have reflux symptoms / be disinterested in eating again ( I.e still feeling uncomfortable from that big feeding ) even hours later ...

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:28 pm
Cluster feeding is normal and happens around growth spurts which is every few weeks at that age.

Just keep giving her what she needs when she needs. She is listening to her body it’s natural at that age especially easier when Breastfeeding.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Teething. It may hurt to eat.

Any clues other than been distracted during feeding? Last night while watching her go to sleep on the monitor, she did seem to be touching her ear a bit, but she was touching all over her face and head because she was so tired. Is spitting up more a sign? She's generally more calm than before (but I'm comparing to a colicky baby) but wouldn't she be more kvetchy if she was teething?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
She may be getting too much at once due to the spaced feedings , making her uncomfortable and therefore have reflux symptoms / be disinterested in eating again ( I.e still feeling uncomfortable from that big feeding ) even hours later ...

Can you explain this a bit more? This rings a bit true only because she's been spitting up more. I also have a very strong letdown. If she sat on a breast for over five minutes I'd be satisfied she probably drained it, definitely by seven minutes. Is spitting up more a sign of reflux?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any clues other than been distracted during feeding? Last night while watching her go to sleep on the monitor, she did seem to be touching her ear a bit, but she was touching all over her face and head because she was so tired. Is spitting up more a sign? She's generally more calm than before (but I'm comparing to a colicky baby) but wouldn't she be more kvetchy if she was teething?

Teething could be for months. Especially the first 4 teeth so no she wouldn’t be more kvetchy this early on. Just wants to suck more or play with her mouth. Her touching her face and ears is all so normal also.

She will become kvetchy when the teeth come to the surface and start breaking through the guns (6-8 months old).

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:57 pm
Is she taking a four hour nap?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you explain this a bit more? This rings a bit true only because she's been spitting up more. I also have a very strong letdown. If she sat on a breast for over five minutes I'd be satisfied she probably drained it, definitely by seven minutes. Is spitting up more a sign of reflux?

Yes spitting up more can be a sign of reflux . Obviously you can ask your doctor , but a baby who has very mild reflux that only shows up when you try to give them big meals often does not need medication . Usually what works best for them is letting them eat on demand and they often choose to have small meals more often because it is more comfortable for them .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:56 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Is she taking a four hour nap?

No, but she'll eat at 2 or 3 am and then when I feed her at 7 she doesn't act like she's starving. Might even get distracted after three minutes of feeding.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:38 am
Contrary to popular belief, some babies are happy to starve, speaking from experience. Don't let anyone convince you that baby will eat when hungry. If you have concerns about intake, trust your intuition and follow up with doctor- monitor weight gain, possibly see a lactation consultant. Don't second guess yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics