Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Israeli MK says recent oil spill = ‘eco-terrorism’ by Iran

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:20 pm
https://www.jpost.com/israel-n.....60817

Quote:
Gamliel explained that, following a two-week investigation, the Environmental Protection Ministry found that the ship that leaked the crude oil, called the Emerald, was owned by a Libyan company and sailed from Iran to Syria. It departed Iran, turning off its automatic identification system (AIS) – which transmits its location to other ships in the area. It turned the AIS on as it went through the Suez Canal, and then off again as it approached Israel’s shores.

The ship remained within tens of kilometers of Israel’s shores, within Israel’s economic waters, for nearly a full day, spilling large amounts of oil on February 1-2, with its AIS off.
Then it continued on to Syria, where it turned on its transmitter, and it returned to Iran, turning off its AIS as it passed Israel. It is currently in Iran.

The tar reached Israeli shores on February 17.

This was one of the worst environmental incidents in decades. The entire Israeli shoreline is contaminated and many tidepools will never recover.

I haven't heard much concern from the international community about this.

I don't expect we'll hear much now either.

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:23 pm
Despicable.

They promised revenge. I have to say, this was subtle and dastardly, and I doubt it's the last we'll hear from Iran. The question now is whether our government has the will to respond, and how.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:35 pm
Rappel wrote:
Despicable.

They promised revenge. I have to say, this was subtle and dastardly, and I doubt it's the last we'll hear from Iran. The question now is whether our government has the will to respond, and how.

Maybe they'll get more funding from the US if they revive the Iran Deal. Who knows what they can do with the billions they'll receive?

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:42 pm
Wow, that's awful.

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 5:04 pm
The international ecological committees are busy worrying about compliance with the Paris Accords. The tar polluting Israel's coastline isn't on their radar. Upsetting but not surprising.

etky

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 2:33 am
DrMom wrote:
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/the-ship-behind-oil-spill-found-environmental-protection-minister-says-660817

Quote:
Gamliel explained that, following a two-week investigation, the Environmental Protection Ministry found that the ship that leaked the crude oil, called the Emerald, was owned by a Libyan company and sailed from Iran to Syria. It departed Iran, turning off its automatic identification system (AIS) – which transmits its location to other ships in the area. It turned the AIS on as it went through the Suez Canal, and then off again as it approached Israel’s shores.

The ship remained within tens of kilometers of Israel’s shores, within Israel’s economic waters, for nearly a full day, spilling large amounts of oil on February 1-2, with its AIS off.
Then it continued on to Syria, where it turned on its transmitter, and it returned to Iran, turning off its AIS as it passed Israel. It is currently in Iran.

The tar reached Israeli shores on February 17.

This was one of the worst environmental incidents in decades. The entire Israeli shoreline is contaminated and many tidepools will never recover.

I haven't heard much concern from the international community about this.

I don't expect we'll hear much now either.

Just so that people know - there are some beaches that are still OK to go to. There is a 'ramzor' now for beaches too. My daughter who hadn't heard about the tar spill Rolling Eyes decided to go to the beach in Ashdod last week on her way home from her base. When she told me that she had been there I had a fit (even though she just got her feet wet in the waves ) but she said the beach was super-clean and no sign of tar whatsoever. I looked it up and indeed the beaches south of Yafo were all 'green' as well as some further north. I just checked the site now and it hasn't been updated since last week so I don't know what the situation is right now though.

juggling

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 2:47 am
etky wrote:
Just so that people know - there are some beaches that are still OK to go to. There is a 'ramzor' now for beaches too. My daughter who hadn't heard about the tar spill Rolling Eyes decided to go to the beach in Ashdod last week on her way home from her base. When she told me that she had been there I had a fit (even though she just got her feet wet in the waves ) but she said the beach was super-clean and no sign of tar whatsoever. I looked it up and indeed the beaches south of Yafo were all 'green' as well as some further north. I just checked the site now and it hasn't been updated since last week so I don't know what the situation is right now though.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Bh some good news.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics