Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
When is the last time you read your kids “McElligot's Pool”
1  2  3  4  5  Next

When is the last time you read your kids “McElligot's Pool”
Its our favorite book  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Today  
 0%  [ 1 ]
This week  
 1%  [ 2 ]
My kids are older, but we used to read it regularly  
 9%  [ 11 ]
This month  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Never  
 21%  [ 25 ]
What is "McElligot's Pool"?  
 64%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 115

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:11 am
Given the utter consternation over the decision not to publish it anymore, when is the last time you read your kids “McElligot's Pool”

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:21 am
Cat in the hat is next.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:23 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Cat in the hat is next.

I highly doubt that. But its completely and utterly irrelevant.

Answer the question.

When is the last time you read McElligot's Pool to your kids?

It has an offensive picture, and uses a racist term. But if it were a popular book, I assure you they would edit it. They're not, because NO ONE READS IT.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:28 am
I'm sure I got it out at some point. I have vague memories. So I won't say never, but I won't say it was a favorite.

ETA: Look, this book or any of them being canceled isn't like some small fly going extinct and somehow the whole ecosystem shifts because of that. It can disappear, the world will continue. But the kerfuffle as a whole is sobering.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:28 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Answer the question.

It has an offensive picture, and uses a racist term. But if it were a popular book, I assure you they would edit it. They're not, because NO ONE READS IT.

What's the racist term that is so terrible they need to stop publishing this children's book?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:30 am
It's certainly getting more popular now.

I think they should just edit out anything racist and continue printing.

Dr. Seuss was a progressive for his time period. If he wrote something racist, it's because it wasn't considered racist at the time not because he actually was a racist.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:32 am
The very popular Busytown books by Richard Scarry written in the 1950's and 60's have been updated for contemporary norms since as early as 1991, or thirty years ago. I don't remember much fuss about it.

I know we have some former USSR amothers here. Anyone remember Бармалей, the African cannibal character? Very popular when I was a child in the 80's, but definitely racist. He looked like this: http://audioskazki.net/wp-cont.....9.jpg

Interestingly, when I google him now, it appears he's been revised to be white: https://shkola7gnomov.ru/uploa......jpeg

sky

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:33 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Answer the question.

What is the offensive pic or term?
Am I so desensitized I don’t see it?

Is it the word Eskimo or something else? I don’t get it.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:38 am
sky wrote:
What is the offensive pic or term?
Am I so desensitized I don’t see it?

Is it the word Eskimo or something else? I don’t get it.

In that book, yes, that's the term, along with a rather racist stereotyped image.

The word is now considered to be offensive by many people.

As I said, if people actually bought this book, they would probably revise it. And maybe they will in the future. But its just not very good. None of the books they're halting publication of are/

sky

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:41 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In that book, yes, that's the term, along with a rather racist stereotyped image.

The word is now considered to be offensive by many people.

As I said, if people actually bought this book, they would probably revise it. And maybe they will in the future. But its just not very good. None of the books they're halting publication of are/

Which image in the book is racist imagery? Just trying to find it.

So every book that uses the word Eskimo should be banned?

Why not say we are stopping to print bec it’s no longer popular...

Last edited by sky on Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:44 am
Google it. There is talk online about how cat in the hat is racist.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:45 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Google it. There is talk online about how cat in the hat is racist.

I tried. I can’t find an list of racist imagery in McElligot's Pool

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:46 am
sky wrote:
Which image in the book is racist imagery? Just trying to find it.

So every book that uses the word Eskimo should be banned?

Why not say we are stopping to print bec it’s no longer popular...

Is this it? I don't get it... It looks like the Lorax or the Grinch.

Is the problem the fur hood?

I am perplexed.

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:47 am
It wasn't one that I read often, but it is a cute book. There are quite a number of read aloud versions on youtube.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAsU1caVdg

It is a story about a boy and his imagination about "what might go on down below"

The only "offensive" parts are trying to reference "exotic people in exotic places"--which to an American kid in the 1940s was probably something like an Eskimo or Tibetan.

But absolutely NO one seems to be at ALL offended by the rather "hillbilly hick" looking farmer on the first page.

In 1984, the purpose of Big Brother was to take out of circulation anything that might produce creative and therefore revolutionary thought, they suppressed language to make original thought obsolete. That is how you suppress people.

The only thing I can find in common with the 6 banned books are they all involve wild imagination.

If you REALLY wanted to make an argument, I think that PETA should be more involved than anything racist--because they deal with hunting and trapping and taking eggs.

I find it odd that there have been works published postumously--such as The Bippolo Seed (which I have) and people tried hard to find MORE works by Dr. Seuss, and because a group that refuses to put context to history decided that BECAUSE Seuss was a racist therefore we must take out the books with people because they MUST have been done with racism. But we dont' do the same for Shakespeare. We don't ban Airplanes because I'm willing to bet that in Kitty Hawk North Carolina, I'm fairly sure if you look hard enough the Wrights were probably "Racist" by today's definition. We don't Ban Thomas Edison because his incandescent lightbulb wasn't energy efficient--no we celebrate his contribution to science. I've never heard of Isaac Newton being cancelled even though this theories have been improved upon or been proven wrong--no, he is celebrated as the Father of Modern Physics.

The point is that this is taking a cause and turning it on its head for no reason to make a (stupid) point.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:59 am
Never heard of it until a couple days ago. So that would be a never.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:16 pm
Why is the term Eskimo racist? Actually, I don't really care.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:33 pm
On the first day of school, my 10th grade English teacher read it to our class to make a point about the purpose of discussing and analyzing literature. That was a lesson that really resonated with me (and this particular teacher had a big impact on me). I did buy McElligot's Pool along with all the other Seuss classics (and yes, also If I Ran the Zoo) when I started having kids. I have actually talked about how McElligot's Pool is way underrated and more people should read it. I think it's terrible what's happening here, and not just because one of the books I really like is on the list.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:06 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Why is the term Eskimo racist? Actually, I don't really care.

Would you care if a children's book referred to the K-kes, and included an image of a man with a long hooked nose and peyas, fondling money?

To the Inuit people, its the same thing.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:10 pm
Okay! I can't say I care too much about the Inuit people either though. Oh well, maybe in a different lifetime.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:13 pm
You would have a point if that were the only book being removed from print.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics