Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How many hours are you on baby care?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:22 pm
It feels like all day!

I am about 10% productive when I am holding a baby. But it feels like ALLLLLL day I am nursing, holding, burping, changing baby. I put him down for a few minutes, he starts to cry, pick him back up. Repeat.

He takes a short nap. Starts to cry. Rock him back to sleep. Repeat.

I work from home, when I can work. I feel like I'm escaping for a few minutes to make dinner or put in a load of laundry. I have to ask DH or someone else to watch him any time I want to do ANYTHING.

Baby is 6 mo for reference.

Am I doing this wrong?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:25 pm
Let’s trouble shoot.
What’s sleeping like? Napping is a problem apparently, what’s night like?

Also, not sure how realistic it is to expect to work from home with the baby around even if the baby was more happy and routined. I see it as two different things.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:27 pm
Seems normal to me. Probably depends on the baby.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:36 pm
I am going through exactly the same thing

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:56 pm
You need childcare or you need to stop working. It’s near impossible to do both.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:14 am
At this point I'm happy if I get an hour a day of work. I'm not expecting that much. But even basic housework feels really tough.

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:16 am
Yep! Baby wearing helps a lot, btw! And have a baby mat and a cycle of interactive toys, so baby can be next to you but not in your hands (cooking, anyone?)

imaima

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It feels like all day!

I am about 10% productive when I am holding a baby. But it feels like ALLLLLL day I am nursing, holding, burping, changing baby. I put him down for a few minutes, he starts to cry, pick him back up. Repeat.

I work from home, when I can work. I feel like I'm escaping for a few minutes to make dinner or put in a load of laundry. I have to ask DH or someone else to watch him any time I want to do ANYTHING.

Am I doing this wrong?

Generally, no.
He could have a nap schedule by now with two solid naps, sometimes three.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It feels like all day!

Am I doing this wrong?

Nope.
Taking care of a baby IS being productive.
I know society likes to tell us otherwise, that we're supposed to do it all, at once, but no.
I wish I'd known that with my first.

Working from home while being the main caregiver for a baby is just not realistic for most people.
Most babies need hands on care.

So, no, I honestly don't think your doing anything wrong

Frumme

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 9:31 am
Six months means they're more alert and need more interaction. It's difficult!

Try different methods to keep him entertained while he's down. For example, cycle the toys on the playmat. If you put him in a playpen/pack n play, play some music. Put him in a swing (should give you a good 20 minute chunk to do something). Basically, you need to show him things he can do, otherwise he'll just look to you every time to be entertained. Let him practice his tummy time, grabbing at balls and rings, etc.

Babywearing can be very helpful if you set up your work station at bar height. You can see if bouncing him in a bouncer while you work (with your foot) will soothe him while you work. Or if you're sitting, put him in a stroller and push it back and forth with your foot (depends on the stroller but you can try! Works for my Chicco).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics