Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Naturally Skinny People
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:37 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
This is something I think about all the time. Yeah, it comes down to time spend thinking about food. Naturally thin people do not spend every waking moment thinking about food in some way or another. There is no other thing I think about as much as food. And I don't mean fantasizing about scarfing down delicious food. Very much the opposite, it's obsessive thought about the latest, greatest diet scheme, thinking about what I will eat, planning menus, planning shopping trips, figuring out when I will eat, how much I will eat, worrying about which foods will be filling enough for me, strategizing how to cut out late night snacking, wondering if I should eat now even though I'm not hungry because what if I get hungry later and I'm not home and I end up eating junk instead of real food.... it's never ending obsession. Total center of my life. I hate it.

Have to agree. I have a friend who is overweight but always struggling to lose it. She loves to cook and she loves to try out things, and she just won't stop talking about it. It seems like it a creative outlet for her too, and it is really important for her to make something delicious and professional or authentic cooking. She will complain about weight and in the next sentence she will wonder how she gets a certain cake to be a certain shape.

I tell her why do you care? Why is it even on your mind??

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:39 am
I totally know people who are skinny as hell, smoke only eat junk food and barley excerise. It's so genetical and depends on your metabolism and if you are on meds or not... all those things...

ora_43

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 3:36 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I totally know people who are skinny as hell, smoke only eat junk food and barley excerise. It's so genetical and depends on your metabolism and if you are on meds or not... all those things...

But OTOH there's nothing strange about someone who eats junk food and doesn't exercise being skinny, if they aren't eating very many calories. Junk food doesn't make people gain weight, it's eating junk food on top of a normal diet that makes people gain weight.

ora_43

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 3:51 am
Also the people I know who eat mostly junk food tend to have food issues. Like, eating mostly junk suggests 1. picky eater (they're only tempted by the food deliberately designed to be super tempting), and 2. light eater (because come on, if you're a regular eater, at some point potato chips aren't enough and you'll want a sandwich or stew or something).

I think pretty much everyone I know who mostly eats junk is skinny.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:06 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I am medium but I was capable of changing certain habits. Baked goods or nosh are not eaten on the daily basis. Veggies and fruit are always available in some kind of form not necessarily as a salad. Salad dressing ia mostly oil and lemon juice because I won't bother. No sugar or anything else.
I often use honey instead of sugar. I drink my hot drinks unsweetened. I only eat dark chocolate.
I cook very simple food. I have had lengthy phases when I didn't eat processed foods. I do now but not regularly.
I almost never eat any bread. I eat gf noodles made of Humus, conjak etc. very occasionally.
I only eat things that I am sure are gf, otherwise I don't.

Forgot to add that I exercise as much as I can. I jog or do online pilates or at the very least stretching. If all fails I go for a walk. We don't own a car.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 9:44 am
I do 1-4 like you and 5-8 like your friend. I am naturally thin but if I don't watch myself (indulge too often at the smorgasbord), I gain to a more regular weight.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
What do u mean inflammation is at the root of it? My body can’t lose weight no matter how hard I try to eat right my bloodwork all good maybe this is an idea for me?
It can mean a lot of things but there are reasons your body holds on to calories and it’s usually related to it getting an overactive danger signal and is afraid of starvation so will hold on to every calorie. This can happen for a lot of reasons but taking down inflammation, making sure your gut, immune system, nervous system are in good shape can get your body to stop freaking out like that. Mainstream bloodwork barely scratches the surface of what’s really going on in your body so I wouldn’t put much faith in it to rule things out.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
op, there are definitely other factors that weight gain...and yes, it has to do with genetics...what I mean is... you can have 2 ppl eating the same unhealthy foods and one person will be fat the other will be thin(ive seen many of my classmates eating tons of sugary foods and drinking sugary drinks compared to fatter girls eating healthier on a diet)

you are forgetting that each body will process that food differently ...im referring to the hormones and ill start with insulin which regulates blood sugar and fat storage....for some reasons unknown to dr fung(genetics and..) some ppl can only eat x amount of sugar/carb before their bodies will have high insulin that will cause insulin resistance(which can eventually cause diabetes) and others can eat so much more sugar/carbs and their bodies will NOT put them into a state of high insulin and eventually insulin resistance....high insulin causes the body to hold onto fat...once this hormone is off and there is extra fat it affects other hormones that are not at proper levels and it becomes a cycle thats hard to get out of...

another 2 factors that affects weight is sleep and stress...too much stress causes cortisol which causes high insulin which causes fat storage and insulin resistance etc...and not getting enough sleep causes the body to be in a high state of stress which causes high insulin from the high cortisol...etc

ive seen so many ppl go through life eating unhealthy while I eat healthier but they dont gain weight...my thin friend told me she never exercises...there are so many other hormones I didnt mention such as grelin etc. they all play a role and are affected by others...its very complex...
Interesting that he has no idea why, I wonder if he’s done a deep dive. Not saying there is definitive evidence one way or another, but I’m sure there are theories and hypotheses that go past just insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is closely related to systemic inflammation, hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal function, thyroid, vagus nerve, ferritin and cerruloplasmin status, etc. There is a lot to look at and address epigenetically before resorting to blaming genes.
ETA I see you did mention cortisol, addressing adrenal function will go a long way towards appetite, insulin and weight regulation.
Time to start thinking about weight and food issues scientifically, not psychologically.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:26 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
This is something I think about all the time. Yeah, it comes down to time spend thinking about food. Naturally thin people do not spend every waking moment thinking about food in some way or another. There is no other thing I think about as much as food. And I don't mean fantasizing about scarfing down delicious food. Very much the opposite, it's obsessive thought about the latest, greatest diet scheme, thinking about what I will eat, planning menus, planning shopping trips, figuring out when I will eat, how much I will eat, worrying about which foods will be filling enough for me, strategizing how to cut out late night snacking, wondering if I should eat now even though I'm not hungry because what if I get hungry later and I'm not home and I end up eating junk instead of real food.... it's never ending obsession. Total center of my life. I hate it.
Question is if the obsession is a cause or effect of the weight issues. I think it’s a cause. And obsessing about losing weight is just the flip side. Cutting out addictive foods can make a huge difference in how much time you spend thinking about food. Also treating it like an ocd, and just not entertaining the thoughts.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:34 pm
I am naturally thin and I do not really have any of the habits in your op. I only eat when I'm hungry and never to feel full. I hate to feel full. I prefer one large meal that is supper like (fish, rice,veggies, potatoes, sesame chicken, etc) in the morning and then probably don't eat anything except for a yogurt at night.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:49 pm
I am naturally thin/petite my eating habits are horrible ie skip meals eats a pint of ice cream for breakfast, love carbs but I cannot over eat I will throw up. (husband says I got the "natural" band surgery) That being I said my husband's family is on the larger side and I noticed few things A) they're portions are huge I cannot finish my plate when my MIL serves me and they ask for doubles. B) also they are constantly eating. If I'm not hungry I don't eat actually I often forget to eat meals and often remember once I start to feel dizzy which isn't healthy at all. C) Your bone structure makes a difference I am very petite often shop in the teen section my SIL is very health conscious eats healthy workouts and she will never fit into a size 2 cause she has a broad bones. I think size is a matter of both genetics and eating habits.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:52 pm
People who are larger (height or weight) require more calories.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:59 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I have a different theory. I read the book intuitive eating, and the basis of it is that we are all born to know what foods and how much our bodies need. Genetically bodies come in different sizes, so it will be different for everyone.We know to eat when we’re hungry, and stop when we’re full. We know what foods make us feel good and what foods don’t.
BUT when we go on diets to try to change our habits, or have shame around food we stop listening to our intuition regarding food. Or it also depends how we were brought up, if you were forced to clean your plate as a child you learn to ignore the fullness signals.
So my theory is that thin people are naturally intuitive eaters because they never messed with it.
Not the other way around, that they are thin because they are intuitive eaters.

People with bigger bodies were body shamed, or made to feel bad so they changed their eating habits, and are not so in tune with what our bodies need.
1 - So we will skip meals, ignore our hunger signal, and then overeat because we’re famished.
2 - deprive ourselves of treats, or feel quilty when eating them.so we are always craving them and have binging episodes.
3 - overeat and go for seconds because we don’t know how to listen to our fullness signals and cues.
4 - don’t think about how food makes our body feel, so we don’t eat the fruits and vegetables.
5 - we have “food rules” exp sugar is bad so we eat Splenda instead

THIS!! When I had my first I was nervous how I will know how much to feed my baby, My pediatrician told me you'll know if they're full they'll spit up if they're hungry they'll cry just listen to the natural cues. Side point I know a few people who are heavy and many blamed their weight gain on being forced to finish their plates as kids. One friend got the sleeve and said she felt like a baby needing to relearn her eating habits.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:01 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
THIS!! When I had my first I was nervous how I will know how much to feed my baby, My pediatrician told me you'll know if they're full they'll spit up if they're hungry they'll cry just listen to the natural cues. Side point I know a few people who are heavy and many blamed their weight gain on being forced to finish their plates as kids. One friend got the sleeve and said she felt like a baby needing to relearn her eating habits.

Yea, what's up with that? I am so against the concepts of you must finish what's on your plate...so we're telling kids to ignore their body cue that they are full?

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Yea, what's up with that? I am so against the concepts of you must finish what's on your plate...so we're telling kids to ignore their body cue that they are full?

It comes from wartime, when resources were scarce and wasting food was a crime.

professor

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:14 pm
I think people have to stop obsessing about weight. Just be happy, and try to eat healthy for your HEALTH

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:24 pm
professor wrote:
I think people have to stop obsessing about weight. Just be happy, and try to eat healthy for your HEALTH

Easier said than done.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:28 pm
professor wrote:

But what does HEALTH mean to you?

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:33 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
But what does HEALTH mean to you?

People associate health with being skinny, which is absolutely not the same.
Health: your organs are healthy and functioning And you don’t have any health conditions.
You can be skinny and have diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure etc.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 5:00 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Interesting that he has no idea why, I wonder if he’s done a deep dive. Not saying there is definitive evidence one way or another, but I’m sure there are theories and hypotheses that go past just insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is closely related to systemic inflammation, hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal function, thyroid, vagus nerve, ferritin and cerruloplasmin status, etc. There is a lot to look at and address epigenetically before resorting to blaming genes.
ETA I see you did mention cortisol, addressing adrenal function will go a long way towards appetite, insulin and weight regulation.
Time to start thinking about weight and food issues scientifically, not psychologically.

Wow Tangerine. Sounds like you know a lot about this subject. I would love to have that insight into my own weight challenges.
I started this thread with certain assumptions, but based on everyone's responses, it sounds like this is all very individual.

So many people suffer from obesity. If it were mostly genetic, we would have seen this issue to be common in the previous generations. When we look at photos of the early 1900s, the average American was much thinner than the average Amerocan today. I dont think the human population has ever had so many obese people. This is a problem that occurs in modern civilization, and the more progressive we are, the fatter we are.

For example, native Africans are almost all very thin. But after coming to America, they started suffering from obesity at the same rate as other Americans.

That's why I think it's more about habit than genes.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise