Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Couch space vs family size
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:44 am
How many seats on the couch is normal for what size family?
We are 9 people who enjoy lounging around and reading on long friday nights or shabbos afternoons. During the week everyone is out and about but with pesach coming I want to redo our living room area. It will be two weeks spent together and we only have one living space. No den or family room or playroom or extra bedroom space.
I have a 5 seat sectional couch now and some of us always end up on the floor. I bought 2 armchairs but everyone prefers the couch.
How large of a couch would you look for? Obviously I can't buy a 9 seater but I want to make it comfortable for everyone. I'm considering 3 3-seat couches but I only have room for 2. Perhaps 2 4-seat couches but I can't find ones I like. I found a 6-7 seat sectional but I don't know if that's enough space. There's also the option of getting a modular couch and adding in as many armless pieces as I choose but those couches don't look so comfortable. I like the high back overstuffed ones with recliners.
I know families who have a small 3 seat sofa and that's it but we need more.
Any suggestions?
What do you have for how many people?

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:43 am
I would get 2 four seaters and have a chair. You can get them custom made if you can’t find what you like online

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:46 am
Depends how close you want to sit to each other.

We have an enormous sectional that can fit 6-7 comfortably spaced out, and probably 9 people close but not touching. We are a family of 5 and my kids still fight and say, "you're in my area!"

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:42 am
For the same size family we have an L-shaped sectional plus a 2-seat loveseat. The problem is that people like to lie across the couch, taking the space of 2-3 people! I thought about getting ottomans for people to put their feet on, freeing up space on the couch. Amazon has a variety of nice square folding storage ottomans (so you can put them away when you don't need them) in different fabrics in the $20 range.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:49 am
Sectionals don't really provide great seating for the space they take up. Who wants to actually sit in the corner? They are intended to be lounging seating and so they don't really seat the number of "seats". Couches also don't provide the most comfortable seating for more than two people since no one wants to sit in the middle and the more "middle" there is, the less comfortable it becomes.

How do the children actually like to sit? How formal is the space. For example, they now make couches that are like theatre seating with individual things that rise up like a lazy boy - this would more kids comfortably since each "seat" would be a lounger type of seating. They are pretty ugly in my opinion though so I wouldn't want them in my living room.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:50 am
Soon we'll need a separate suite for each family member, with a full bathroom, couch and whatever other space they need, and anything less will be considered dysfunctional

Frumme

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:52 am
How do you feel about something like a CordaRoy's bean bag? https://cordaroys.com/

Can store it away or put it in a bedroom when you don't want it in the living room. This one also folds out into a bed so you also have an instant mattress for guests

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:53 am
Quote:
Who wants to actually sit in the corner?

Actually, my kids (particularly little ones) love to lie in the corner. They call it "the best spot" and fight over it!

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Quote:
Who wants to actually sit in the corner?

Actually, my kids (particularly little ones) love to lie in the corner. They call it "the best spot" and fight over it!

How can small children actually sit comfortably in the corner. It is generally too deep for legs to reach the floor - even for adults. And there is no real support. Plus you are squashed on both sides.

If a small child is curled up in the corner that is different but that is not what is meant by "sitting" on the sofa. Sectionals are typically most functional when people are using them as loungers and not for straight sitting.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:54 pm
For the same size family we have an L-shaped sectional plus a 2-seat loveseat. The problem is that people like to lie across the couch, taking the space of 2-3 people! I thought about getting ottomans for people to put their feet on, freeing up space on the couch.

I did this. Total game changer! Now people sit straight on the couch with their feet on the ottoman.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
Who wants to actually sit in the corner?.

Interesting. I like the corner. At least from one side there's no one bumping into me and my arm has where to rest.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:19 am
Everyone in my family wants the corner on our L shaped couch. So cozy to be surrounded by soft cushions on both sides!

SDmother

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:24 am
By a few nice poufs.

https://www.cb2.com/knitted-si.....w_wcB

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:56 am
Thank you for all the responses and for bumping up my thread!
We respect personal space here and my kids know to give each other elbow space, so we need the same number of seats as people sitting. Or just about the same.
We don't mind the middle of a sectional. It's ok if feet don't touch the floor also. We like the comfy falling into the couch style. A lot of sectionals come with consoles which we don't need, it takes up seat space. One of my younger ones always ends up sitting on it.
I don't really like the ottoman or lshape look, I prefer not to have extra pieces getting in the way. And since the L piece doesn't have a back no one will want to sit there.
A theater style couch would be perfect but they're so ugly.
Two 4 seaters sounds good if there are 4 individual seats. I haven't been able to find that though in the furniture stores I've looked at online.
I have a lot of tall teens that like recliners so ideally I'd have at least two recliners. I've thought about getting three 3seaters with 2 recliners on each end but I'm afraid I don't have space for that. For two I definitely have space.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:00 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Soon we'll need a separate suite for each family member, with a full bathroom, couch and whatever other space they need, and anything less will be considered dysfunctional

It's dysfunctional if my kids cannot relax in their own home. Yes I want them to be comfortable. Do you not want the same for your children?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:01 am
Beanbags and poufs would work well but I'm afraid they'll collect dust around them being that they're on the floor and I'll regret buying it. Also I like a uniform look more than a scattered one.
But thank you for the links. I might have to end up doing that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:06 am
For the same size family we have an L-shaped sectional plus a 2-seat loveseat. The problem is that people like to lie across the couch, taking the space of 2-3 people! I thought about getting ottomans for people to put their feet on, freeing up space on the couch. Amazon has a variety of nice square folding storage ottomans (so you can put them away when you don't need them) in different fabrics in the $20 range.

This is why I want with recliners. The sectional I have now has two recliners but they broke. This couch lasted me 10 years and if only it came with a few more seats, I'd buy it again.

Fave

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:10 am
SDmother wrote:
By a few nice poufs.

https://www.cb2.com/knitted-si.....w_wcB

I like this - can teens actually sit on them or is rather to be used as a foot rest?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:37 am
Amarante wrote:
How can small children actually sit comfortably in the corner. It is generally too deep for legs to reach the floor - even for adults. And there is no real support. Plus you are squashed on both sides.

If a small child is curled up in the corner that is different but that is not what is meant by "sitting" on the sofa. Sectionals are typically most functional when people are using them as loungers and not for straight sitting.

The corner is the best spot!! The legs don't have to reach the floor, it's more comfortable.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is why I want with recliners. The sectional I have now has two recliners but they broke. This couch lasted me 10 years and if only it came with a few more seats, I'd buy it again.

What about 2 reclining 3 seater couches & 2 matching recliners?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics