Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Bar Mitzvah one year later ?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 6:37 am
My son’s bar mitzvah was last year Pesach time, during the darkest times of corona. The plans for the big Shabbos with family and friends , and for the weekday boys party , were obviously completely scrapped. We quickly put together a drive by and that was it. I would love to do at least a boys party outdoors for him one year later . Looking for ideas for “bar mitzvah plus” celebration, including a catchy name 😃.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:27 am
I know this is out of most ppl budget- but was at a hachnasas Torah event in honor of ‘missed’ bar mitzvah boy. Was very meaningful.

I guess you have to know your friends/family/community. Will they be happy or interested to go out to a party to celebrate a missed bar mitzvah.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:36 am
Such a nice idea!

My daughter missed her bat mitzvah last year Pesach-time as well and we'd really like to make it up to her but there is still a raging pandemic so I don't see how to do that yet. ☹️

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:36 am
I’d do it!
Do you have a lawn?
I’d book a big tent, a dj, a big buffet of your sons favorite foods, lots of soda and candy, the best photographer you can afford, and give everyone a great time!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:37 am
OP here. That is beautiful/meaningful but not what I had in mind for now. As above, I’m thinking of an outdoor celebration for his friends and our close family , who would be fine with that. I’m looking for ideas how to make the event special and specifically for a catchy,upbeat name for such an event (not something like “belated bar mitzvah “)

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. That is beautiful/meaningful but not what I had in mind for now. As above, I’m thinking of an outdoor celebration for his friends and our close family , who would be fine with that. I’m looking for ideas how to make the event special and specifically for a catchy,upbeat name for such an event (not something like “belated bar mitzvah “)

Mitzvah14 - are you into a bbq- rock climbing- bounce house type of thing
Or more traditional

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:48 am
Cute name ! Thanks. Any other suggestions out there too?
I think he wants a more traditional type of party

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:50 am
On second thought- an outdoor activity could be a great option. Thanks

baltomom

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:56 am
Did he prepare to lain his Bar Mitzvah parsha? Can he lain it this year instead?

Outdoor kumzits and bonfire?

I can't think of a name offhand, but thinking along the lines of Bar Mitzvah meaning he is mechuyav b'mitzvos, which he is starting at age 13 and continuing for the rest of his life... "Join us a we celebrate one year since Shmully became a Bar Mitzvah"

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:08 am
What about calling it BarMitzva+

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:14 am
Bar mitzvah+1
13 years+13 months....

Or 13 years, 12 months,11 hours,10 minutes

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:38 am
Hatzlacha and mazel tov.
Aish is having a program this Sunday at 11:00 with Nissim Black that's supposed to be a shout out to all the boys and girls who missed out last year.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:41 am
I don't have an idea for a specific name or way to celebrate, but the theme that this bar mitzvah celebration has continued on past the 13th birthday etc and how that ultimately, it's great to celebrate being bar mitzvah etc and keeping mitzvos on and on, everyday and every year--it's the beginning of a lifetime of celebration, not just the 13th birthday...

keym

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:50 am
If it's the community type- it can be some sort of "vow renewal" kind of concept.
Celebrate a year of being mechuyav bemitzvos.

There's a great dvar Torah/mashal about Simchas Torah.
Mashal of a king who married his beautiful, amazing daughter in a lavish ceremony, but sight unseen.
Some time later, the husband requested to make a new party because now he knows that his wife is as truly amazing as was told.
Simchas Torah we throw a huge "party" as opposed to Shavuos because we got to "know" the Torah and realized that it's truly worth celebrating.
Maybe that can be worked into the concept-celebrating now a year in, now that he knows what he's celebrating.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:51 am
keym wrote:
If it's the community type- it can be some sort of "vow renewal" kind of concept.
Celebrate a year of being mechuyav bemitzvos.

There's a great dvar Torah/mashal about Simchas Torah.
Mashal of a king who married his beautiful, amazing daughter in a lavish ceremony, but sight unseen.
Some time later, the husband requested to make a new party because now he knows that his wife is as truly amazing as was told.
Simchas Torah we throw a huge "party" as opposed to Shavuos because we got to "know" the Torah and realized that it's truly worth celebrating.
Maybe that can be worked into the concept-celebrating now a year in, now that he knows what he's celebrating.

love this!

flower2

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:54 am
How about he makes a siyum and make a party for that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days