Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Expensive gift: buy discounted, non returnable/ full price?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:02 pm
Dh wants an expensive designer gift. I can a) buy full price with great customer service from the retailer or department stores or b) buy discounted ($150 off) at a discount place but it will be non returnable. The discount place is officially reputable and only sells authentic items. (The item is an expensive specific pen.) wwyd?

singleagain

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:06 pm
If you are certain this is what he wants why would you need to have it returnable?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:06 pm
I don’t understand. Did he pick the gift? Or did he just say ‘I want a designer gift’? If he’s picking the gift (say a pair of sunglasses) then why would you need to return it. And if it’s not a surprise (doesn’t sound like it is) can you ask him which he prefers?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dh wants an expensive designer gift. I can a) buy full price with great customer service from the retailer or department stores or b) buy discounted ($150 off) at a discount place but it will be non returnable. The discount place is officially reputable and only sells authentic items. (The item is an expensive specific pen.) wwyd?

If he's certain that's what he wants, save the money, assuming it comes with a warranty.

At worst, take him with you to confirm its what he wants.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:22 pm
I don't know. I can't get passed thinking about how much this pen must cost if it's already being marked down $150. Surprised

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:33 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I don't know. I can't get passed thinking about how much this pen must cost if it's already being marked down $150. Surprised

It's the first time in 8 years that I'll be buying him a gift Smile other than seforim. I don't either understand the attraction as I'm happy with my $5 pen but some people like a good pen, it seems.

He sent me a link to the exact pen but these things are funny and model numbers are the same on each website. He sent me the link and told me he wants to be surprised which I am interpreting to mean "don't ask me about every nitty gritty detail," so I don't want to ruin the surprise-not-a-surprise by asking him what he wants me to do.

Warranty: have to check if it comes with one. Thanks for suggesting

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:56 pm
Now that google shows me that pens can easily cost $1,000, I would go with the great customer service. I am not a pen expert but there are warranties and warranties. Places, even with "warranties" without good customer service can make things such a hassle and can twist the wording that they make it practically impossible to use the warranty.

If something costs so much, and is a gift, I would make sure that it is a true gift, and if there is a problem with it, it can be rectified without a hassle.

Just wondering: do people who use $1K pens actually take them out of the house? Or do they just use them in their home office?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's the first time in 8 years that I'll be buying him a gift Smile other than seforim. I don't either understand the attraction as I'm happy with my $5 pen but some people like a good pen, it seems.

He sent me a link to the exact pen but these things are funny and model numbers are the same on each website. He sent me the link and told me he wants to be surprised which I am interpreting to mean "don't ask me about every nitty gritty detail," so I don't want to ruin the surprise-not-a-surprise by asking him what he wants me to do.

Warranty: have to check if it comes with one. Thanks for suggesting

A good pen makes a world of difference.

This is my day to day pen http://www.sybaritepipe.com/en......html

I've owned it longer than half the posters here have been alive, so its cost per day is quite low.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:00 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Now that google shows me that pens can easily cost $1,000, I would go with the great customer service. I am not a pen expert but there are warranties and warranties. Places, even with "warranties" without good customer service can make things such a hassle and can twist the wording that they make it practically impossible to use the warranty.

If something costs so much, and is a gift, I would make sure that it is a true gift, and if there is a problem with it, it can be rectified without a hassle.

Just wondering: do people who use $1K pens actually take them out of the house? Or do they just use them in their home office?

Mine were in my office. Now they're in my home office.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:45 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I've owned it longer than half the posters here have been alive, so its cost per day is quite low.

Pretty cool! Can you share how much it is?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Great! But how do you manage to hold on to it for such a long time? Pens get lost so easily. I wouldn't even splurge on an expensive umbrella since I can't trust myself not to leave it behind somewhere...

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:13 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Great! But how do you manage to hold on to it for such a long time? Pens get lost so easily. I wouldn't even splurge on an expensive umbrella since I can't trust myself not to leave it behind somewhere...

My expensive pen wasn’t $1000. It is a silver Tiffany Elsa Peretti pen which was a gift when I passed the Bar.

You don’t lose good pens because you treat them differently than a Bic pen. You don’t lose keys or a wallet or other items. It’s the same with a good pen. At least for me.

Of course at this point I use a pen maybe once a week if that because everything I do is digital.

In terms of OP, if the pen is from a famous brand I would buy at the discount store because I would be relying on the manufacturers warranty. I always do that if I trust the manufacturer.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Pretty cool! Can you share how much it is?

It was purchased at Harrod's in London in the late 80s or early 90s, so I honestly can't recall. I don't think its made anymore.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
My expensive pen wasn’t $1000. It is a silver Tiffany Elsa Peretti pen which was a gift when I passed the Bar.

You don’t lose good pens because you treat them differently than a Bic pen. You don’t lose keys or a wallet or other items. It’s the same with a good pen. At least for me.

Of course at this point I use a pen maybe once a week if that because everything I do is digital.

In terms of OP, if the pen is from a famous brand I would buy at the discount store because I would be relying on the manufacturers warranty. I always do that if I trust the manufacturer.

We need to indoctrinate you into the world of Bullet Journal.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
We need to indoctrinate you into the world of Bullet Journal.

I don't understand the reference

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:33 pm
Amarante wrote:

I own this beauty that's no longer made, but runs several hundred dollars used. But it needs repairs.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't understand the reference

A Bullet Journal is written -- calendar, to do list, planner, life guide. Mine has everything from deadllines, to work notes, to my notes on what brands of Pesach goods we like, to notes on trying to find a covid vaccine for a family member, to the best places for covid tests.

https://bulletjournal.com/

newmother

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:57 pm
Buy the cheaper one with an american Express card. It gives you purchase protection, extended warranty..

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 3:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
A Bullet Journal is written -- calendar, to do list, planner, life guide. Mine has everything from deadllines, to work notes, to my notes on what brands of Pesach goods we like, to notes on trying to find a covid vaccine for a family member, to the best places for covid tests.

https://bulletjournal.com/

LOL I live in an Apple world - my calendar, contacts, notes all synch automatically to all of my devices - computer, iPhone and iPad

I am not organized enough for a paper organizer. The dark old days of Filofaxes - I was an easy adopter of the Palm Pilot.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 3:38 pm
newmother wrote:
Buy the cheaper one with an american Express card. It gives you purchase protection, extended warranty..

Amex doesn't do that anymore.

The site is overstock. It doesn't say if the product comes with a warranty but it does say it's not returnable. (Brand is Mont Blanc)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics