Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My children on growth hormones AMA
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:44 pm
[quote="amother [ Babypink ]"]My daughter is 7. At her last checkup she was in the 1% for height...Basically almost off the chart for her age. Shes the shortest in her class as well.
The doc recommended we focus in nutrition and give her calcium supplements every day. If at age 8 she didn't gain in % height then he'll order all bloodwork and bone growth tests.
He did tell me that majority of his patients do not go on growth hormones once the results come in? Duno if its cuz of unknown side effects of hormones...[/quot
Some kids don't go on hormones because they don't qualify just because you did all the testing and your child's in the 1%, it doesn't make you qualify. It is very expensive and insurances aren't rushing to approve. I have some friends who took their kids they did the blood work and tests they don't qualify but at least they know that nothing's wrong if you wait too long you can lose out there's a time limit on this. A lot of times endocrinologist will just keep monitoring and making sure everything goes as it should. Also your doctor is right the first thing they need is to make sure your child's getting enough nutrition

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:18 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
What’s a stim test? We did regular bloodwork and nothing concerning. Bone age was actually 2 years ahead! We’re waiting to see an endocrinologist but there’s a long wait. Dc is 8.

Bone age being ahead is actually concerning! Then you had better start the process ASAP as you have no time to waste.

(Another mother with experience and very short children here).

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:54 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
My daughter is 7. At her last checkup she was in the 1% for height...Basically almost off the chart for her age. Shes the shortest in her class as well.
The doc recommended we focus in nutrition and give her calcium supplements every day. If at age 8 she didn't gain in % height then he'll order all bloodwork and bone growth tests.
He did tell me that majority of his patients do not go on growth hormones once the results come in? Duno if its cuz of unknown side effects of hormones...[/quot
Some kids don't go on hormones because they don't qualify just because you did all the testing and your child's in the 1%, it doesn't make you qualify. It is very expensive and insurances aren't rushing to approve. I have some friends who took their kids they did the blood work and tests they don't qualify but at least they know that nothing's wrong if you wait too long you can lose out there's a time limit on this. A lot of times endocrinologist will just keep monitoring and making sure everything goes as it should. Also your doctor is right the first thing they need is to make sure your child's getting enough nutrition

Thanks for all the info! Ye hopefully my dtr won't qualify - my goal is tht she'll hit 5 ft at least. But gotta do my due diligence.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:50 pm
My daughter just started growth hormones. She’s 10 years old and in 3rd percentile. How long until you start seeing growth?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:29 pm
I just did the hormone stimulation test yesterday. We’re waiting for the results which will be ready in about 2 weeks. (Chol Homoed Pesach) thanks for sharing information. I like hearing from others who are going through the same situation like me.
They took lots of blood from her. Bh” she was very brave. My daughter is 6 years old and wears size 4 clothing. She’s tiny. She’s growing but extremely slow.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 9:36 am
Hi my daughter is nine years old and just started. I was so nervous before I did but I know it was the right thing especially her growth hormone was 3.3 in the stimulation test.
I was scared how she would respond but , BH, She excepted it really well and she is doing a great job with giving herself the shots
It is a strange thing that one leg hurts and one leg doesn’t
Has anyone just given it on one leg and change locations each night
I also want to add that the shots are given from a pen like a diabetes pen very different from how they used to be with a syringe it is much easier than I expected and it looks like a cool gadget
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics