Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone planning to travel from US to Canada for Pesach?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:40 am
I heard from my sister who lives in Toronto that Canada insurance won't cover your testing if you leave the country and can be up to 200 a test.
I also heard if you leave country then during the duration as well as your 2 week quarantine you must forfeit all government covid assistance (this can add up to thousands for some families and they are relying on this money to survive)
Please do your research.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I heard from my sister who lives in Toronto that Canada insurance won't cover your testing if you leave the country and can be up to 200 a test.
I also heard if you leave country then during the duration as well as your 2 week quarantine you must forfeit all government covid assistance (this can add up to thousands for some families and they are relying on this money to survive)
Please do your research.

The tests are free. They hand them to you at the border. I have 2 sitting in my house right now.
I’m 99% sure you can’t claim gov assistance when leaving the country but you’re benefits will end later. You’ll still get the 28 weeks of benefits with a break in the middle.

butternut1

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:26 pm
Please, please don't come to Canada unless you really plan to quarantine for the full two weeks in a fully separate apartment/house and take this seriously. It is really hard to do so - two weeks of not going out at all, not buying groceries, not seeing sunlight, usually with little kids who need exercise and activities.

I have elderly parents, including a mother who is had lung cancer, and the last thing she needs is to be exposed to Covid after such a long and difficult experience.

The rules are in place for a reason. Because people like my mother could get sick and die if they get COVID.

It is breaking my heart not to be with my family during Pesach for a second year in a row, and my children are so, so sad too. But we need to put our elderly and sick before our own needs right now.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:37 pm
You get a test before you leave. You get a test as you come in. If you are negative, how is it dangerous not to quarantine? You obviously do not have the virus.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
You get a test before you leave. You get a test as you come in. If you are negative, how is it dangerous not to quarantine? You obviously do not have the virus.

It's the law. It's not up to you to weigh your options. If you break the law, then you are doing the wrong thing.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

Obviously you know better than people who put the rules in place.

Obviously the Canadian government is just doing this to punish you.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:56 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Obviously you know better than people who put the rules in place.

Obviously the Canadian government is just doing this to punish you.

I’m sorry, but the Canadian gouv dropped the ball on this one. The rules make no sense. Our economy is tanking. Our airlines are going bankrupt. The stupid curfew in Montreal that was supposed to be a temporary drastic last resort measure is extended indefinitely. They are going out of their way to make travel as inconvenient as possible wether it makes sense or not.

If I had the virus, have antibodies, tested negative in the US and negative again when I come back into the country there should be no reason to quarantine for 14 days.

Canada is ranking 30th(!!) country in vaccine rollout. Trudeau is losing supporters by the day. I’m usually proud to be Canadian but they messed up big time.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:00 pm
As a Canadian who has been living in strict lockdown conditions these posts are making me very upset and I’m getting chest pain!
We have not gone in to another persons house for a year! My small kids don’t know their grandparents or cousins!
We have had all yom tovs alone
There is an outbreak in my kids’ school because of the outside strain because people broke quarantine
My kids have not gone to school since December- please please please follow the rules!
We have no vaccines here yet- please think of us when you are planning to break the rules and then give advice to others to break the rules too
I’m crying- our lockdown will never end like this!
Please think of my anxious children and the tears I’m shedding when you decide.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
It's the law. It's not up to you to weigh your options. If you break the law, then you are doing the wrong thing.

Also the new variants (Voc) take longer to show in pcr test

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I’m sorry, but the Canadian gouv dropped the ball on this one. The rules make no sense. Our economy is tanking. Our airlines are going bankrupt. The stupid curfew in Montreal that was supposed to be a temporary drastic last resort measure is extended indefinitely. They are going out of their way to make travel as inconvenient as possible wether it makes sense or not.

If I had the virus, have antibodies, tested negative in the US and negative again when I come back into the country there should be no reason to quarantine for 14 days.

Canada is ranking 30th(!!) country in vaccine rollout. Trudeau is losing supporters by the day. I’m usually proud to be Canadian but they messed up big time.

Your post doesn't make any sense. I'll ignore it.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Your post doesn't make any sense. I'll ignore it.

Feel free to do so. If you want to talk safety ho ahead, but don’t try telling me know how awesome the Canadian government is dealing with this pandemic.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:19 pm
Feel free to do so. If you want to talk safety ho ahead, but don’t try telling me know how awesome the Canadian government is dealing with this pandemic.

not even once did I do that. not even once.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:27 pm

It is hard to fault a country for doing everything in its power to save lives.

Canada shares a long, impossible to seal border with our most important trade partner. Despite the challenges this presented, death rates in Canada have been kept to a third of US deaths (by population). Canada is even doing better than the much celebrated Israel.

Deaths/million:
USA: 1606
Israel: 634
Canada: 583

There are tens of thousand of Canadians alive today because of our government's vigilance.

We can go shopping, enjoy the outdoors and our kids have had almost uninterrupted school b''h.
I can deal with the curfew and travel restrictions in order to save lives.

Most Canadians agree. An overwhelming 86% approve of the new travel restrictions.
https://globalnews.ca/news/761.....poll/

Has it inconvenienced me? Absolutely. I have missed a close family simcha for the first time in my life.
But it's been worth it.

`

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 3:15 pm
The Canadian government is not doing g this for the better good. They’re covering up the fact that they don’t have enough access to vaccines. A family member that works in the hospital was only able to get one vaccine and then was told they don’t have enough to continue vaccinating. As of next ek they are starting to vaccinate 85 and older. They are way behind the other countries. Their medical system is a disgrace. So they’re scrambling to deflect.

The laws make no sense . You can enter with a negative or even positi ve Covid test and you go into the same 2 wk quarantine?
2 neg test a few days apart shoudl e enough to let you live ur life. We have immediate family we haven’t seen in over a year but can’t afford to quarantine for two wks and then visit them. We all have antibodies. Their system is skewed and frustrated and really dumb. Don’t think they care . There are many cover ups and the government is failing to do what’s good for the economy for the people and for the country as a whole.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
As a Canadian who has been living in strict lockdown conditions these posts are making me very upset and I’m getting chest pain!
We have not gone in to another persons house for a year! My small kids don’t know their grandparents or cousins!
We have had all yom tovs alone
There is an outbreak in my kids’ school because of the outside strain because people broke quarantine
My kids have not gone to school since December- please please please follow the rules!
We have no vaccines here yet- please think of us when you are planning to break the rules and then give advice to others to break the rules too
I’m crying- our lockdown will never end like this!
Please think of my anxious children and the tears I’m shedding when you decide.

Where do you live?! In Toronto there are literally no outbreaks and schools have started again.

And yes the laws are ridiculous. Do you know that people were putting their small children in quarantine for 14days if they were exposed at school?! Because it was officially ‘the law’? Is that not heartless to you? And then this week the Canadian gov put out an apology for making such a ridiculous law, and that parents should use some common sense when it comes to such things.

I am not just going to listen to the law when they obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Your children have very very little risks as of now. Please please use common sense.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 5:05 pm
I'm sorry that this post brought up so much emotion for some of you. Yes, things have been difficult and I haven't seen my parents in a year so I understand these feelings. I very fortunately already got my second vaccine a month ago and will be very cautious about keeping my kids socially distanced for some time before we travel to visit my parents IH for Pesach. I would never take a chance with their health. Laws may change in the coming weeks. I appreciate everyone's input and ideas and please continue sharing if you have new information. Have a gut Shabbos!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 7:28 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Where do you live?! In Toronto there are literally no outbreaks and schools have started again.

And yes the laws are ridiculous. Do you know that people were putting their small children in quarantine for 14days if they were exposed at school?! Because it was officially ‘the law’? Is that not heartless to you? And then this week the Canadian gov put out an apology for making such a ridiculous law, and that parents should use some common sense when it comes to such things.

I am not just going to listen to the law when they obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Your children have very very little risks as of now. Please please use common sense.

There are cases in Toronto. There are cases in schools in Toronto.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:59 pm

I’m not that poster, but I live in Montreal and right now my kids schools are shut. The only one open is my 3 year old in daycare.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:03 pm

I’m in Toronto. I’m no expert on other schools, only the schools my kids are in. Yes there are breakdowns and shutdowns and we have had bad luck with exposed cohorts

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:09 pm
I was told that my husband would be denied entry because he's not Canadian. We went for Sukkos and had no issues, just showed our marriage license but seems like the law changed? Do you know of anyone who was denied entry because of this reason?
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics