Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Naturally Skinny People
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 5:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow Tangerine. Sounds like you know a lot about this subject. I would love to have that insight into my own weight challenges.
I started this thread with certain assumptions, but based on everyone's responses, it sounds like this is all very individual.

So many people suffer from obesity. If it were mostly genetic, we would have seen this issue to be common in the previous generations. When we look at photos of the early 1900s, the average American was much thinner than the average Amerocan today. I dont think the human population has ever had so many obese people. This is a problem that occurs in modern civilization, and the more progressive we are, the fatter we are.

For example, native Africans are almost all very thin. But after coming to America, they started suffering from obesity at the same rate as other Americans.

That's why I think it's more about habit than genes.
The short answer is that it’s epigenetic. Genetic predispositions driven by lifestyle choices. The people without the predisposition can make any choice and not be affected. The people with the predisposition will be affected by their choices, but there are things they can do to manipulate if and how their genes are expressed. Or outsmart their genetic weaknesses.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 5:05 pm
It has a lot to do with a sedentary lifestyle being forced from a young age, which leads to metabolism issues.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 5:09 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
THIS!! When I had my first I was nervous how I will know how much to feed my baby, My pediatrician told me you'll know if they're full they'll spit up if they're hungry they'll cry just listen to the natural cues. Side point I know a few people who are heavy and many blamed their weight gain on being forced to finish their plates as kids. One friend got the sleeve and said she felt like a baby needing to relearn her eating habits.
People can have messed up cues for a lot of reasons. Not just being told to finish their plate. Including kids. Even very young ones. It often boils down to a wiring issue, and the fact that some of our foods today are designed to be extremely addictive, and addictions will override natural cues. I also used to believe that all kids naturally have that intuition and if left to their own devices will self regulate, and fed them accordingly, but unfortunately several different experiences taught me otherwise, which led me down this rabbit hole and now I’m even backed by the science behind it.

polished

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 12:47 pm
I agree with op.
I was even watching a documentary proving that the ppl who think they are unhealthy and skinny are actually doing things they don’t realise.

I am naturally around 112pounds.
Some of my habits;
1. Always walk and walk it as fast as you can (gets your heart beat up)
2. Only water
3. Natural sugar free breakfast ie. not cereal
4. Whole milk (fat is not the enemy)
5. Keep fruit out on the side and all the snack foods hard to reach
6. Do not go near artificial sweeteners. Once you are having something sweet do it properly with sugar
7. Cook without prepare sauces. Use herbs and spices to flavour your meal.

Please note: I have pizza at least once a week
And I very much enjoy chocolate on a daily basis. It doesn’t make me an unhealthy eater. Just balanced and I don’t feel deprived

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 1:58 pm
I'm thin and I bloat terribly. The amount of bloat is proportional to the amount I ate, so if I eat a small meal, I bloat but can suck it in and feel normal. If I have a huge meal, I look 5 months pregnant for a few hours.

So if I'm at home in the evening I might have a large meal, but if I'm planing to go out in public, I eat small amounts. I think that might keep me thinner than I'd be if I didn't have the bloating problem.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 2:38 pm
I used to be super super think. 105 lbs and 5’5. When I was in my late teens and early twenties. Bh 8 pregnancies later and hormonal bc I now weigh 135-140. But people still think I am super thin because I wear my weight well.

When I was super thin

I did no exercise at all and even a fast walk left my breathless.
I drank coke. Never Diet Coke.
2 teasooons of sugar in coffee.
I loved eating out.
I loved bread and pasta. Still do.
I was the only girl eating food at every lchaim.

I ate cake and ice cream etc.

The only healthy habit I had which is huge. I was never a big snacker. I always liked real food.

Anyway.
I know exercise 3-5 times a week.
Only drink water
No sugar in my coffee.
Still love food and eat whatever I am in the mood of.

But I have never and I don’t obsess over food. If I’m hungry I eat. And I don’t guilt myself or whatever. Some foods make me feel physically ill so I try to listen to my body.

And I think that’s really worked for me. I don’t obsess about what I ate or didn’t eat. I just eat when I want to.

Oh. And it is mostly genetic imo.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:42 pm
It seems like this thread attracted so many skinny people who claim they don't pay attention to what they eat eat are just naturally skinny.
I know soo many skinny people and almost all pay attention to the fact that they want to be skinny myself included.
My inlaws are all super thin (and also very narrow so extremely thin looking) and my mother in law is very into weight. So maybe a lot of it is genetics but guess what..They're not just eating high calorie foods all day. All my sister in laws who are very thin exercise, pay attention to what they eat, talk about health.
I dunno, this thread made it seem like it's true that skinny people can eat whatever they want all day and not gain an ounce but it's definitely not the norm

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I'm thin and I bloat terribly. The amount of bloat is proportional to the amount I ate, so if I eat a small meal, I bloat but can suck it in and feel normal. If I have a huge meal, I look 5 months pregnant for a few hours.

So if I'm at home in the evening I might have a large meal, but if I'm planing to go out in public, I eat small amounts. I think that might keep me thinner than I'd be if I didn't have the bloating problem.
Have you looked into SIBO at all?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:24 pm
OP here.
Thanks for all the responses.
I see that everyone is individual in the types of habits that they have. But perhaps one common thread is that the naturally skinny people are doing things, unwittingly, that keep them skinny. They prefer healthier foods and more exercize. Whereas heavier people prefer more fattening foods and being more sedentary. (This is certainly true for me.)

In my observations I learned as much- if not more- from watching very overweight people than from watching my naturally thin friend. I remember one particular time in my life when I was on a very strict diet , so I was not eating by simchas. So while I normally would not pay attention to how others eat, (because I would be focused on my own plate) I was then in a unique postion of being an unwitting spectator.

I was sitting at a table with 2 very overweight friends. One of these women finished her plate and then went into the kitchen to ask for a second portion. The other person finished up another person's portion. These women are normally very appropriate in polite company. What I'm trying to say is that I was able to observe behavior as someone removed from the sitaution. I can give more examples, but my point is that whether by habit or habit formed by genes...they were definitly consuming a lot more than thinner people.

I have also read that people tend to eat like their friends. So if you are sitting at the lunch table with overweight people, chances are you will eat more, and vice versa.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here.
Thanks for all the responses.
I see that everyone is individual in the types of habits that they have. But perhaps one common thread is that the naturally skinny people are doing things, unwittingly, that keep them skinny. They prefer healthier foods and more exercize. Whereas heavier people prefer more fattening foods and being more sedentary. (This is certainly true for me.)

I dont think that is a common thread at all. I think we all just read many posts saying the opposite.

miami85

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 9:57 pm
Most people I know who are naturally skinny have some sort of food sensitivity which means that they naturally have to limit their food intake in some way. Whether it's gluten, or IBS or allergy or something.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:31 pm
Agree with many of the things Polished said.
I'm also naturally thin and here are some of my eating habits :

Dark chocolate when craving sweets
I rarely drink calories (maybe a splash of juice in seltzer)
I naturally enjoy fruits and veggies
No artificial sweeteners ever ever and I'll eat a full fat full sugar dessert on occasion no problem like birthday cake for example
Full dairy if any never low fat
I don't eat 3 proper meals. It's just makes me tired but I'll have small snacks whenever am hungry like cucumbers and tehina or chocolate or grapes or an avocado or whatever. Even a piece of pizza if I'm feeling it no problem.
I don't eat cereal. Just makes me crave more carbs and I go light on bread. Usually just shabbos
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise