Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chronic constipation for 1 yr old

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:18 pm
My baby has had constipation issues since we started him on solids. My dt. Told me it's probably due to insufficienct consumption of liquids. I've tried to increase his liquid intake and haven't seen any significant improvement. I had asked him about miralax in passing and he said I can use it - however when reading the back of the bottle it isn't recommended for children under 16?

boysrock

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:43 pm
Have you tried increasing your baby’s fiber, giving daily probiotics? Did you try Pune juice or grape juice?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:55 pm
Yes I've tried grape juice, prune juice, probiotics and fiber one. Haven't seen a major difference. He's still struggling and pushing and being unsuccessful with the end result. It can take him 2 days sometimes and then the process repeats itself.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:17 pm
I started giving my 1 year old son myralax around three weeks ago, and bh he’s a new child. Go for it!

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:19 pm
I give a half capful Since my four year old was 16 months and she started stool holding. The dr recommended. Unfortunately I don’t see how she’ll ever be able to get weaned off but that’s her. Miralax is great

boysrock

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:20 pm
Your pediatrician can give you a prescription for the miralax and an amount to start with, you may need to experiment until you find the correct dosage for your baby. It’s natural and ok for babies...Good luck!

champagne

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:26 pm
My son has been on Miralax since 6 months old (he’s 2.5.) Our GI from NYU in Manhattan recommended it. We found it lifesaving (and we were also worried before starting.)

We tried the prune juice route. It wasn’t nearly as effective, and the spit up stained absolutely everything.

blessedflower

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 11:42 pm
With my baby it ended up being an allergy

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:51 am
I made a similar thread once.

I tried lots of things but miralax was what worked in the end.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 2:25 am
Myralax works and is often reccomended for young children. You may need to play with the dose until you find what works. Sometimes the full dose is too much

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 3:39 am
Before you try medication, please try one more thing. It will sound silly and you’ll probably think it won’t work but it worked wonderfully for my children. Anyone I told to try this called to thank me that it worked. Pear juice. It’s sold in the aisle next to the baby jars/food - not in the juice aisle. It works better than prune juice. It tastes like apple juice. My pediatrician is the one who told me about this constipation cure. It will work within a few hours or less.

clowny

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:34 am
My 2 1/2 year old is on mirilax since she started solids. I too have tried everything. Prune juice, liquids, fiber etc... nothing helped. I even tried taking her off certain foods that I was told might be the cause. But with no success. She suffered terribly. Until we started her on miralax with pediatricians guidance. I give her one dose twice a week. I recently discussed it again with my pediatrician. He said to try weaning her off it and see what happens. So far, she’s still very constipated when she’s not taking miralax. He also said she’ll probably outgrow at one point.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:39 am
I’ll echo the other posters. I feel like I’ve tried everything. Saw a GI- wasn’t super helpful. We did miralax for years (Child is 4.5) now I do pedialax chewables. I find it simpler, not having to worry about them finishing the drink etc ...

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:46 am
So sorry you’re going through this. So painful for little ones Sad
My twins were both chronically constipated from birth. Doctor recommended prune juice and “it didn’t work” so we tried suppositories it was a nightmare. I got back on the phone with the doctor and he said you need to give the prune juice “constantly” even if the baby is better. So that’s what we do. I’ve been giving my babies an ounce of prune juice a day . One likes with water and one like plane & they always make soft ones. If I see they have t made in awhile or it’s getting hard I will up the amount and go down once it produces a bowel movement. Good luck!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:49 am
I second the pears.

Also ended up being severe food intolerance for mine. Eventually did an elimination diet for 3 weeks under an allergist. When we got to zero constipation we added back the foods one by one and two were causing the constipation issue.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:15 am
Cut out gluten and dairy, many kids are intolerant and this leads to constipation. Add in probiotics, digestive enzymes and magnesium to increase motility. Bioray has a good herbal laxative for kids, their liver supporting supplements are also great for digestion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics