Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
But Apt in RBS A without seeing in person first?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 2:22 pm
We have the opportunity to purchase an apartment in our desired neighborhood in RBS, where we plan to move this summer iy"H. I have seen the rooms on Zoom, but I will not be able to go to EY until the actual move due to Covid. I feel we can get a pretty good impression of the apartment on Zoom, but not like seeing it in real life, obviously. We want to buy and not rent while we look for an apartment to purchase, because the move will be enough upheaval without having to move twice....but I am still uncomfortable spending sooo much for something I have not really seen! Did anyone out there do this? Please tell me about your experience, thank you!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 2:32 pm
Following

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 2:36 pm
have heard that some have bought sight unseen -- do you have anyone living there now who could take a look at it and just verify?

hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 2:47 pm
Yes, I have a sister who can take a look, but I really have some pickyish questions that I would probably need to look at for myself...I really am confused about what I can expect from an Israeli apartment...I tried asking my real estate agent about some things, but I'm getting the impression that she feels I am being crazy picky and I should be excited for such a spacious place with extra rooms like a tiny office space...I wish I knew more to have realistic expectations or hold out for more....I don't want to regret, but I feel I may be passing up a metziah!

essie14

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:35 pm
I know people who buy sight unseen. it's not that crazy. I think you should send your sister your whole list of questions and ask her to do a video tour , addressing all your questions. I've done that for friends. It's not a crazy request. Your real estate agent should also accommodate this. The agent will make a nice comission, you deserve good service.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, I have a sister who can take a look, but I really have some pickyish questions that I would probably need to look at for myself...I really am confused about what I can expect from an Israeli apartment...I tried asking my real estate agent about some things, but I'm getting the impression that she feels I am being crazy picky and I should be excited for such a spacious place with extra rooms like a tiny office space...I wish I knew more to have realistic expectations or hold out for more....I don't want to regret, but I feel I may be passing up a metziah!

You’re buying an apartment sight unseen, no question is too picky or crazy.
Send your sister to see the place in person, share all your “crazy” concerns with her.
Also remember that there are things outside the apartment that might be important to you. What is the street like? Parking? Is the lobby or common area neglected? Bad odor? Loud noises? Etc.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:55 pm
In addition to everything else posters have suggested, your sister should try to speak to some of the neighbors to ask about the building, the neighborhood etc.
Also make sure she visits the apartment at different times of day to get a sense of the natural light that the apartment receives, if that is important to you.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:37 pm
Another item that you may want to look into is who are your neighbors, especially those directly above and below you.
Are the neighbors loud (if that bothers you)?
Are the downstairs neighbors old and cannot take any noise? (This can be really annoying if you have kids).
And perhaps the most important, what is the upstairs neighbor like? They may leak into your apartment and make a lot of noise for you. You will need to get along with them and it's best to verify in advance that they are nice and can be spoken to.
Vaad bayit may be able to help you answer these questions.

And if noise bothers you, see how close the apartment is to the elevator or a major bus route.

Another item you can ask the agent is which directions does the apartment face.
A warmer apartment is one that faces south and west. (There obviously is sunlight from the east, but I find it not to be as strong.)
The wind comes from the west and north, so that results in a cooler apartment.
It's nice to have a warmer apartment in the winter and cooler apartment in the summer, but it's a personal decision.

I definitely recommend someone personally checking out the apartment before you spend a lot of money on it.
Keep in mind that if for whatever you don't like it and want to sell once you get there, there are moving and selling costs. It's something that you have to be willing to gamble.

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:37 pm
Is this in a building? I agree with the other posters that it is totally okay to be picky and that it's not just the way the apartment looks it's how the outside is and what the neighbors are like. I feel like each block in this area is completely different. I honestly would be nervous to buy without checking out the community since each area is so unique. Is it possible just to take a short-term rental until you find something? We took a rental for a year and then bought on paper but that also came with its minuses that's for sure. I live in RBS so if there's any way I could be of a help please feel free to PM me.

LisaS

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:59 pm
In terms of "spending so much money on something I have not seen" apartments in RBS go like hotcakes and at the very least you have made a smart investment. People spend years checking out communities, planning every detail of their home as it is being built, and then end up selling for whatever reason. It may be disappointing but they usually aren't losing out financially.

As for not wanting to move again if its not the right place, I agree with the other posters, the exact location and neighbors will likely make more of a difference in your long-term happiness there than whether the laundry room is in the right place. What shuls and schools do people there go to? What stage of life are the neighboring families in? Do the neighbors generally get along? Keep in mind the difference between things you can potentially alter in the home such as kitchen, flooring, even walls, vs the things that aren't ever alterable.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Your sister is a key component here. Smile Assuming you trust her judgement. She'll understand whether you're really finding a "metziah," and can be the m your real eyes and ears as far as the actual quality of the apartment and whether it suits you.

Past that, whether you land in a rental or a bought house, not everything is going to live up to your expectations. (And yes, office space is premium! Smile) I don't want to say "be prepared for disappointment," but I recommend not setting your expectations too high, and then you'll be happy with all the opportunities you find during this crazy adjustment.

(PS - another win if you have your sister here: she can furnish the apartment according to your requests before you home, so everything will be ready when you move. It sounds like a great arrangement Smile)

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:22 am
Yes other people buy sight unseen but it is risky.
On the other hand, it is unlikely you will lose money if you bought it at fair market value and sell in a few years for the new fair market value.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:12 am
I would never ever buy anything without someone going there for me and videoing me the whole time if I can’t be there myself.
Rbsa agents are notorious for leaving many things out, and rbs apartments especially in the older areas are sometimes mold infested, water damaged and just overall disgusting even if the pictures are really nice.
So if you are looking in an older area, be very wary and make sure they take you on a tour from the entryway - up the stairs and into the apartment, into the kitchen to see the cabinets under sinks - which sometimes are covered in mold, and bathrooms which have mold everywhere.
If it’s in a newer area, chances are there are no issues that can be seen, but neighbors can be a big issue. For instance, I’m in a new area, but I have a terrible terrible terrible neighbor that I wish I can move elsewhere because of the aggravation and abuse (physical as well) that he comes along with and would never have moved here had I known I would be stuck with a neighbor like him. So another thing to consider.

Ask any and every question you want. Your money, will only be your loss if you don’t ask. No question is stupid when it comes to 2 million shekel plus.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:44 am
My parents bought two houses via zoom during covid and only saw one the day they closed and the other one 3 weeks after closing. ( Other states)
It's actually pretty common now.

Success10

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:52 am
How do you research core issues with the place that you can't see in a picture? Like plumbing issues? Mold issues? Infestations? Neighbor issues is a big one. I would hire an investigator who knows how to look for everything.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:36 am
Hire an engineer to give you a report of the overall condition of the apartment.
It's important to do that now as leaks from the rain are hard to detect in the summer.

As for neighbors, you just have to ask around.
Many families in RBS made aliyah themselves, so I'd assume they'd be happy to assist.
I'd recommend also speaking with Vaad Bayit. They may be able to provide more information about the neighbors and your specific apartment.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 5:26 am
Thank you, thank you everyone!!!!

I feel like I know what to look out for, each post I read clarifies how crazy it is to be pushed to make an offer on something I know so little about! Ok, so definitely send my sister with a list of picky concerns, and an investigator for mold and rain leak issues.
1. How can I check out the block re type of neighbors?
2. We are looking at a duplex (an attatched home with two levels, over a small apt with one room used as an office space or tiny shop). I assume that takes away half the concerns about common areas and elevator and neighbor noises? I'm assuming knowing the family living on the other side is crucial?
3. What worries should I have about exterior, which I was barely shown?
4. When everyone encouraged me to investigate details about the block, down to ages of families and types per building, does that still apply to duplex style living? For example if the neighbors on either side aren't my "type," but there are families that we would get along with, does that seem sufficient for happiness? Do children in RBS A generally gravitate toward neighbors or school friends from other blocks for Shabbos play dates (just trying to understand what I need to emphasize in my search)?

Thank you all so much again!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:00 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Hire an engineer to give you a report of the overall condition of the apartment.
It's important to do that now as leaks from the rain are hard to detect in the summer.

As for neighbors, you just have to ask around.
Many families in RBS made aliyah themselves, so I'd assume they'd be happy to assist.
I'd recommend also speaking with Vaad Bayit. They may be able to provide more information about the neighbors and your specific apartment.

Please explain "Vaad Bayit," and how would I contact them?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:08 am
Can someone help me clarify the types of apartments available in RBS A...do I understand correctly...

Regular apartment, with several bedrooms and main rooms all on one level
Duplex style, which is two attached homes with two stories - bedrooms upstairs and main rooms on ground floor
Apartments that come in threes, all ground level, attached to one another with a yard
Cottage style - what is that?
Free standing homes

Do I understand correctly?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:23 am
PLEASE BE CAREFUL applies to all buildings in Israel. When it comes to construction, it's the Wild West out here. Permits are something you deal with AFTER you build, and only if someone complains. Sloppy construction, dangerous wiring, mold, water damage, plumbing problems - this can all apply to new buildings as well as older ones.

Then there's the illegal day cares that go on in people's homes. Aleph is FULL of them. They're everywhere. You can't escape. Screaming toddlers packed into way too small a space, with not enough supervision All. Day. Long. It's a nightmare. Not listening At wits end Banging head

Realtors will sugar coat everything, and make you feel like the luckiest person alive. They love new immigrants, because we don't know any better and we aren't aware of our rights.

You absolutely MUST have someone IRL to look around and check out all the fine details. Hiring an inspector is a very good investment as well.

Most people rent for the first 2 years after making Aliyah. I think that is excellent advice. If you have your heart set on buying in Aleph, you will be making a good investment, though. Prices are going through the roof, and showing no sign of slowing down.

As they say in The Hunger Games, "May the odds be ever in your favor."
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions