Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names associated with certain holiday

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:20 am
There's a first + middle name combination that I really like. Here's the thing: the name would have a strong association with a certain holiday, and the baby would not be born around the time of that holiday. I.e. "Mordechai Sasson" or "Esther Simcha" who are not born in Adar, or "Ohr Nissim" who is not born during Hannukah.

IMO, it should be fine, who cares when the baby is born, the names are nice, and the holidays are part of our Jewish history whether or not we were born at a certain date. But I just wanted to see what other peoples' opinions are.

Btw both the first and middle name by themselves are normal names that wouldn't stand out or be made fun of, but especially put together they have a strong connotation of a holiday.

Sesame

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:32 am
Do whatever feels right
If those names work I can’t imagine why it should ever be a problem

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:43 am
There's no law or halacha that says you can't name your Sivan baby Esther Hadassah or Yehuda Maccabee. You could even name your dc Yehuda Maccabee if he's born on Pesach. You name your child whatever you like. If people make assumptions about your dc birthday based on his/her name, that's their problem.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:52 am
It's fine. Use it and enjoy it.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:55 am
I have a relative named Esther Malka who was born on Channuka. She was named for someone, no biggie.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names