Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Girls in primary - cover knees for the summer? Knee socks?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:00 am
My first girl and I’m clueless! Would love to know if there’s a standard/rules in Lakewood for primary girls. I know they have to cover elbows....

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:09 am
Yes knee socks. Most camps and school will require them.
Skirts should be at least mid knee. Doesn’t need to cover fully yet.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:14 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Yes knee socks. Most camps and school will require them.
Skirts should be at least mid knee. Doesn’t need to cover fully yet.

Agree with this but there is slight variation in schools so you should ask your daughters principal.

Our school (not very yeshivish) said we should be makpid to cover knees.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:39 am
I think at that age, I used to get DD skirts that covered her knees before the summer. but if she had a growth spurt mid-summer, I didn't go nuts if they started creeping up her knee a bit. At about age 9 or so, got more makpid with her about skirt lengths, and now that she's Bas Mitzvah, of course her knees must be covered.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:45 am
As chayalle said At 9 I think ppl are more careful to start to cover fully.
But the length should still be respectable like mostly cover knee most of the time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:48 am
I like in a development in Lkwd with a mix of types but a lot of bais Tova, BNOS Devora, bais Faiga. I called the gabbai wife cuz I tend to not fit in and I don’t want people talking about me. She told me short socks r fine on Shabbos but the camps will require knee socks. 3/4 sleeves weekday and Shabbos . Also my oldest

honey36

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:54 am
I also have my first girls in grade 1 and no idea what to do! Maybe I should make a spin off b/c I have lots of questions...😬

So it's okay if there's a gap between the skirt and the knee socks? I see this around but so confused because what's the point of wearing knee socks if anyways there's skin exposed close to the knee? Even if skirt covers/almost covers knees.

Also what do you do about swimming? We sometimes go to the public pool/lake. My daughter has swim dresses but does she also need to wear socks in the pool? 😕

Also gymnastic lessons? Mostly only girls but a few boys and father's dropping and picking up? I'm assuming in lakewood they have frum gymnastics places, but not where I live.. actually the place we used to go to had been closed since covid basically but I'm hoping it will reopen soon. What should she wear? When in preschool she just wore leggings and t-shirt.

I have more questions but cant remember now...will think of them later 🙄

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:18 pm
honey36 wrote:
I also have my first girls in grade 1 and no idea what to do! Maybe I should make a spin off b/c I have lots of questions...😬

So it's okay if there's a gap between the skirt and the knee socks? I see this around but so confused because what's the point of wearing knee socks if anyways there's skin exposed close to the knee? Even if skirt covers/almost covers knees.

Also what do you do about swimming? We sometimes go to the public pool/lake. My daughter has swim dresses but does she also need to wear socks in the pool? 😕

Also gymnastic lessons? Mostly only girls but a few boys and father's dropping and picking up? I'm assuming in lakewood they have frum gymnastics places, but not where I live.. actually the place we used to go to had been closed since covid basically but I'm hoping it will reopen soon. What should she wear? When in preschool she just wore leggings and t-shirt.

I have more questions but cant remember now...will think of them later 🙄

In terms of the gap - firstly, there's benefit to the knee being covered, even if below the knee isn't. Plus, the idea is to slowly teach your child the concepts of tznius, covering more as you go along, so that when they are Bas Mitzvah, they are comfortable with skirts that cover the knee, and no gap anymore (either longer skirts and knee socks, or shorter skirts and tights/stockings.)

Can't answer about public pool - not something we do. I would take a six-year-old to a sprinkler park, and have her wear a cover-up and socks.

My girls have taken gymnastics, and one DD actually teaches gymnastics. I'll ask her, I don't think fathers/boys are allowed in the gym and changing areas. If they are not strict with this, I would take it up with the owner of the program. I think most girls wear leggings and tee-shirt, but it's girls only. Fathers should wait in car for daughter to come out for pickup.

honey36

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:45 pm
Wow, thanks for the response.
Another question I just thought of. For yom tov, simcha whatever and you sleep over at parents or siblings house, what age do girls need to where skirts all the time around the house? Let's say in the morning- can my 7 year old where pajamas to breakfast if uncle's/cousins around?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:58 pm
honey36 wrote:
Another question I just thought of. For yom tov, simcha whatever and you sleep over at parents or siblings house, what age do girls need to where skirts all the time around the house? Let's say in the morning- can my 7 year old where pajamas to breakfast if uncle's/cousins around?

this is a personal decision. We always wore pants around brothers/fathers. Uncles we stopped around 9/10.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:02 pm
honey36 wrote:

I think it depends alot on those uncles and cousins. I'm trying to remember at which age we were makpid. It was our home, with uncles and cousins visiting....I think probably around 7-8 or so, but not sure. It's been awhile....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries