Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Anything to do with kids in Washington Heights?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:00 am
Hi,
Are there any toddler friendly activities in the Washington Heights neighborhood of NY? Google showed me some parks and playgrounds - any that are nice and interesting for children under 5 years old? What about indoor activities?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:12 am
If the weather is nice then Fort Tryon Park is very nice - there is a view of the Palisades and the Hudson River with New Jersey on the other side. It’s actually beautiful. In the summer there is an ice cream cart as well. Also for adults there is the Cloisters museum of medieval art but I have never been there because I was told that the building had been a church. You can ask further especially because it doesn’t seem to be used as a church right now.

For kids that are slightly older there is also Fort Lee which is right over the GWB and has cannons that are replicas of the Revolutionary War. I took my son when he was around 7 or 8 and he loved it because he was into US History.

syrima

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:14 am
I used to live there. There's a nice park on Amsterdam and 188th that has kid swings and toddler safe climbing gyms. You could spend a lot of time there if you bring snacks. It's on the YU side, so near the kosher stores.
Or you could go to Fort Tryon Park playground, but that's the other side and up a major hill.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:20 am
Thank you. So far the weather isn't that great so if there are any indoor places for little kids (my oldest is 5) I'd love to hear about them.
Also, parking. Anywhere to park a car in the area for a decent price?

bwaybabe85

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:29 am
There really isn’t much in WAHI for little kids. I’ve always shlepped my kids to the UWS for activities/museums. The libraries used to have story time but that was pre-covid. Bennett Park has a decent playground but you need to watch out for discarded drug needles. The newly renovated playground right outside Ft Tryon Park (I’m blanking on the name) is quite nice but doesn’t have a restroom. Parking isn’t easy in the neighborhood. FYI I’ve lived here (on the Bennett side) since 2007. Which side of the Heights are you in?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:09 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
There really isn’t much in WAHI for little kids. I’ve always shlepped my kids to the UWS for activities/museums. The libraries used to have story time but that was pre-covid. Bennett Park has a decent playground but you need to watch out for discarded drug needles. The newly renovated playground right outside Ft Tryon Park (I’m blanking on the name) is quite nice but doesn’t have a restroom. Parking isn’t easy in the neighborhood. FYI I’ve lived here (on the Bennett side) since 2007. Which side of the Heights are you in?

Thank you. I don't live in the area but we're frequent flyers at Columbia Hospital and one of my children in particular has a hard time dealing with all of it. So my thought was that if I can find something to do in the area, it could be something to look forward to at the end of the appointments. You know, "we're going to the park!" as opposed to "let's get back in the car for the long drive home."

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anywhere to park a car in the area for a decent price?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

There's a lot in the Staples building on West 184th and Bway, but "decent price"? In NYC? Surely you jest.

However, there is limited free parking in Ft. Tryon Park and in the streets outside the park. I strongly suggest the park even if you don't stay all that long. There's Javits playground just outside the park, and the park itself is stunning with views of the river and the GWB, as well as the Cloisters, which is part of the Metropolitan Museum, but that won't interest kids and you may not appreciate medieval church art and architecture.

There's also a playground on Fort Washington avenue and 184th Street. Near YU, on Amsterdam between about 184th and 187th, there are several kosher eateries, I don't know about covid hours.

bwaybabe85

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:44 am
You can check out Dolphin Park later in the spring. It’s geared towards little kids. I’ve never been there but lots of local parents like it.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. So far the weather isn't that great so if there are any indoor places for little kids (my oldest is 5) I'd love to hear about them.
Also, parking. Anywhere to park a car in the area for a decent price?

I live in the area and it is definitely difficult to find parking spots during the week. Sunday mornings are easier.

The parking lot above Staples can cost at least $25/30 for a few hours.
The BP gas station right across Staples has their own parking area and charges around $10 for up to 8 hours - probably the best option for you.

In terms of things to do... there aren't many. Mostly just parks.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:50 pm
What about buying something from the vending machine at the hospital?

I don’t give my kids Coke, for example, and the ability to buy one would be a major perk for them, especially if I got coins or dollars and let them get it from the machine themselves.

Or a coloring book or crossword puzzle book, if those are sold in the gift shop. Another example - I don’t let my kids buy tchotchkes like a Beanie Baby ... maybe you can make a Beanie Baby collection from each time you go to the gift shop.

All of these ideas would be cheaper than parking in the city.

Last idea is to buy a kite and then stop at a park on the side of the highway on the way home and fly the kite. In Brooklyn there is some area near the belt and near Bay Ridge ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries