Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Potato starch help

tp3

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:51 pm
I don't use storebought for Pesach- if anyone has successfully made their own, please teach me! I would love to learn how. I've tried to follow instructions I've found and in the cookbook and I always end up with nothing. With all the potatoes I grate I should be able to have at least a few cups.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:57 pm
tp3 wrote:
I don't use storebought for Pesach- if anyone has successfully made their own, please teach me! I would love to learn how. I've tried to follow instructions I've found and in the cookbook and I always end up with nothing. With all the potatoes I grate I should be able to have at least a few cups.

You need lots and lots of potatoes for just a few spoons of starch.

tp3

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You need lots and lots of potatoes for just a few spoons of starch.

I go through about 2 cases. That's gotta be enough.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:13 pm
tp3 wrote:
I go through about 2 cases. That's gotta be enough.

As I understand it, if you want cups worth of potato starch, you need to use a juicer and discard the actual potatoes/sediment.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....10742

If I needed to make it myself, I would just make a few spoonfuls for thickening sauces and creams, and stick to almond cake and cookie recipes so I wouldn't have to work so hard.

tp3

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
As I understand it, if you want cups worth of potato starch, you need to use a juicer and discard the actual potatoes/sediment.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....10742

If I needed to make it myself, I would just make a few spoonfuls for thickening sauces and creams, and stick to almond cake and cookie recipes so I wouldn't have to work so hard.

Oh I never heard of doing it with a juicer.
Thanks!

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:29 pm
We never did potato starch as it was way too difficult for the effort but a much easier option is plantain flour, you get much more yield for your effort and it is also tasteless.
I did a writeup on doing this in the Whisk a few years ago, let me know if you want instructions.

tp3

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:34 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
We never did potato starch as it was way too difficult for the effort but a much easier option is plantain flour, you get much more yield for your effort and it is also tasteless.
I did a writeup on doing this in the Whisk a few years ago, let me know if you want instructions.

I would love to try it but first I have to find out if we use plantain on pesach.

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:36 pm
tp3 wrote:
I would love to try it but first I have to find out if we use plantain on pesach.

It's in the same family as banana so I can't imagine there's much of a difference but please do yours...

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:27 pm
Yes. You need to do it with a juicer, not a food processor. And I can get from one case of potatoes probably 2 2lb containers worth, not just a few spoons full. And it's not that hard, just time consuming.

Peel and juice potatoes, collecting all the juice in containers. Discard the pulp (that the mush of potatoes left in the juicer). If you want you can run the pulp thru the juicer again to extract the last little bit of juice in it, but it's not so worth it.
Next you let the containers stand a few hours till you see clear separation of the liquid and the starch on bottom, which will look like a whitish sludge on bottom. You spill the liquid, refill with water and mix it well.
Let it stand a few hours again and then pour off the water, add fresh water, mix.
Do this a number of times until the water that separates is clear. In the beginning it will be black, then reddish, then get progressively lighter and lighter each time you refill with fresh water.
Once it is clear water, let it separate again. Then pour out the water. Pour all the starch from all containers out onto cookie sheets, or just a plastic lined counter. Spread it out in a thin layer. Let it sit like that for a day or 2 until it's dry.
At this point you can crumble it by hand or in a food processor if you want to make sure it's very fine. But it's now ready to use either way.

penguin

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:30 pm
Try making almond flour instead. Much easier and can substitute in almost any recipe.

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:37 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Yes. You need to do it with a juicer, not a food processor. And I can get from one case of potatoes probably 2 2lb containers worth, not just a few spoons full. And it's not that hard, just time consuming.

Peel and juice potatoes, collecting all the juice in containers. Discard the pulp (that the mush of potatoes left in the juicer). If you want you can run the pulp thru the juicer again to extract the last little bit of juice in it, but it's not so worth it.
Next you let the containers stand a few hours till you see clear separation of the liquid and the starch on bottom, which will look like a whitish sludge on bottom. You spill the liquid, refill with water and mix it well.
Let it stand a few hours again and then pour off the water, add fresh water, mix.
Do this a number of times until the water that separates is clear. In the beginning it will be black, then reddish, then get progressively lighter and lighter each time you refill with fresh water.
Once it is clear water, let it separate again. Then pour out the water. Pour all the starch from all containers out onto cookie sheets, or just a plastic lined counter. Spread it out in a thin layer. Let it sit like that for a day or 2 until it's dry.
At this point you can crumble it by hand or in a food processor if you want to make sure it's very fine. But it's now ready to use either way.

It stays damp for a long time. We started doing for next year....
Is not hard and not even so time consuming, just takes a while to finish. But you can do other stuff in thr meantime

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:38 pm
penguin wrote:
Try making almond flour instead. Much easier and can substitute in almost any recipe.

How do you make almond flour? When I blend it becomes tiny bur never small enough to use as flour

seafood

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 2:36 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

We used to think that making potato starch is really hard, but one year we started and we’ve been doing it ever since! You can do so many more things with potato starch, it’s not just for baking. It’s so worth it!
I’m assuming this is too late for this year, just want to add to your excellent instructions:
#1 - you don’t need to peel the potatoes, even if you don’t use peels. The machine gets rid of them. Just wash the potatoes well and throw them in the juicer.
#2 when you’re pouring over the starch and water mixture for the last time, you can do it through a sieve to get rid of any leftover potato pieces.
#3 after processing the dried starch in the food processor, you can sift it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics