Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
If you could chose any name
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Java

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
If Ahuva were used among the younger generations, I would name my daughter that. I love the sound and the meaning, but wouldn't give a name that is almost exclusively used by those born before 1970.

I like Ahuvi, but I think that might be too unheard of for my taste (slightly considering it still).

Interesting, I know so many little girls (or people my age- ~23) who are named Ahuva! I don't consider it an 'older' name at all

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:45 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
Interesting, I know so many little girls (or people my age- ~23) who are named Ahuva! I don't consider it an 'older' name at all

I'm in Israel. Where are you?

Java

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:46 pm
I'm in Israel. Where are you?

East coast USA

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:47 pm
cutestbaby wrote:

Same I have a teenage cousin Ahuva. Bunch of classmates too. It's a current name for kids here, though not as common as Sara Rivka Rochel and Leah.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:51 pm
I still want to use these Wink

Yaara
Ella

metacognizant

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:17 pm
Tarfon. Apparently the Greek meaning is delicate/refined/soft which I think it such a great value to call upon with a boy's name. I think all the Greek-derived Jewish names, like Hurkanus, Kalonymus, etc. are due for a comeback, but since my husband and I both have Ashkenazic roots and name for family that is not going to happen.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:30 pm
Eliana

Both for the sounds of it and meaning.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:34 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Eliana

Both for the sounds of it and meaning.

Love this name too. It's a tefillah.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:37 pm
Rappel wrote:
Yishmael.

Never, in this generation. But it's there in my head.

Isn't there a Rabbi Yishmael in the Gemara?

I always wondered about how he ended up with that name. It must have been an ok name in those times. Because yishmael himself did teshuva.

I once spoke at a chasidish bungalow colony and I said "one of the nicest things about being a BT with a fresh slate is that I dont have anyone I HAVE to name my child after and I can name whatever I want"

My goodness they laughed so hard. One of them was still laughing when I was done. I didn't realize how much that resonated with them until I got on this site and saw how much of an "issue" baby naming is.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:04 pm
Chaya Sara
Miriam
Rivka, nicknamed Rivki
Elimelech
Avraham

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:16 pm
So so many Israeli names!

Yuval
Amichai
Malachi
Kinneret
Malkiel
Noa
Ahava
Itamar
Uriel
Emunah
Ori
Uri
Aviel
Elroi
Nevo
Lavi
Ilay
Maayan
Shilo
Carmel
Naamah
Tikvah

I'm chareidi. I hate community rules. Dumb dumb dumb.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:20 pm
If Ahuva were used among the younger generations, I would name my daughter that. I love the sound and the meaning, but wouldn't give a name that is almost exclusively used by those born before 1970.

I like Ahuvi, but I think that might be too unheard of for my taste (slightly considering it still).

I have a 1 year old ahuva and half my neighborhood in lakewood does too.... it's a very common name now

saralem

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:37 pm
Yocheved.
Chaviva

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:55 pm
My favorite name ever --- Chaviva. But dh doesnt like it Sad

ah

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 4:04 pm
Devorah
Tehila
Meira

salt

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 2:37 am
LovesHashem wrote:
So so many Israeli names!

Yuval
Amichai
Malachi
Kinneret
Malkiel
Noa
Ahava
Itamar
Uriel
Emunah
Ori
Uri
Aviel
Elroi
Nevo
Lavi
Ilay
Maayan
Shilo
Carmel
Naamah
Tikvah

I'm chareidi. I hate community rules. Dumb dumb dumb.

Several of these names you can get away with in charedi communities, anything tanachi really - even though some are unusual.
Malachi
Noa
Itamar
Uriel
Naamah
for sure are ok.

Some of the others might make people raise and eyebrow - but also depends which charedi community. I've seen kids in my kids classes with names : Adi, Sapir, Maayan, Ariel, Maayan, Dvir.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 3:30 am
I’ve always loved the name Boaz. Would never fly in yeshivish Lakewood.

My absolute favorite girls name is Yael. Love it. Hope to actually use this one one day.

My kids have the most typical names in the world. Yeh, they’re named after people but our last name is also a very generic name. Think like “Esty Cohen.” But they mark their individuality with their crazy personalities lol.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 3:32 am
salt wrote:
Several of these names you can get away with in charedi communities, anything tanachi really - even though some are unusual.
Malachi
Noa
Itamar
Uriel
Naamah
for sure are ok.

Some of the others might make people raise and eyebrow - but also depends which charedi community. I've seen kids in my kids classes with names : Adi, Sapir, Maayan, Ariel, Maayan, Dvir.

It's true. My DH also just wants our kids to have names that don't raise eyebrows.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 4:21 am
metacognizant wrote:
Tarfon. Apparently the Greek meaning is delicate/refined/soft which I think it such a great value to call upon with a boy's name. I think all the Greek-derived Jewish names, like Hurkanus, Kalonymus, etc. are due for a comeback, but since my husband and I both have Ashkenazic roots and name for family that is not going to happen.

So funny because in Hebrew it is the exact opposite. Tarfon is spelled with a tet, so its root is tareif, like chaya torefet (a predatory wild animal), meturaf (insane, crazy), etc. It's a very negative connotation, even without considering "neveilot v'treifot" as in kashrut.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 8:16 pm
Sheindy
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names