Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why am I still wearing a mask?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:40 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Government should not be allowed to ban anything is not high risk of causing immediate death
or permanent injury.

Our Government is out of control, and becoming blindly obedient is part of the problem.

So you don't think that there should be stop signs on streets. In general, there isn't a high risk of causing immediate death or permanent injury.

Ditto speed limits. Most people will still drive within safe limits.

The vast majority of people who drive drunk get home just fine.

Cocaine, in most cases, won't cause "immediate" death or permanent injury. No reason your kids can't snort a few lines in the high school cafeteria.

So, should we repeal all traffic and drug laws?

But the fact is that refusing to wear a mask does create a high risk of causing immediate death or injury. Isn't that why the right is so angry with Andrew Cuomo, he placed people who were (they claim) contagious into nursing homes, without precautions. Why is failing to wear a mask any different?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:11 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
So you don't think that there should be stop signs on streets. In general, there isn't a high risk of causing immediate death or permanent injury.

Cocaine, in most cases, won't cause "immediate" death or permanent injury. No reason your kids can't snort a few lines in the high school cafeteria.

But the fact is that refusing to wear a mask does create a high risk of causing immediate death or injury. Isn't that why the right is so angry with Andrew Cuomo, he placed people who were (they claim) contagious into nursing homes, without precautions. Why is failing to wear a mask any different?

Ask the CDC. Apparently, they are of the opinion that fully vaxxed persons can gather without masks.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Laws that are sensible and have zero agendas, are good. We need law and order.
But with Covid rules, zero sense and lots of agenda. Sad that people can’t see the difference.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 6:43 pm
OP here.
to answer about when I wear my mask if I don't when I teach... so I work in a preschool (not as a teacher) and I wear my mask there even though most adults dont (kids dont have to). I wear it in the teachers' room and hallways in the high school where I actually teach even though almost no one wears masks.... so you can't say I should wear it cuz it's the norm. I am not the norm there.
of course I wear in public, stores...even if you're vaccinated you HAVE TO.
I meant why do I wear it in frum group settings even when no one else is. a teacher's meeting. a performance. etc.... but you know what?
thanks for the chizuk. even if others arent following what they should be doing, I am setting an example...

also as a teacher I can get the vaccine but I am nervous to. but you don't need to comment on that because there are other threads on that. lol.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
So you don't think that there should be stop signs on streets. In general, there isn't a high

risk of causing immediate death or permanent injury.

A Society without speed limits or stop signs is immediate risk of death or permanent injury.

Given that about 98% recover from Covid, it is NOT a high risk of death or permanent injury.

Also, there are scientific studies that masks do LITTLE or NOTHING to prevent spread of Covid.

And there are studies that masks are DANGEROUS - limit oxygen, increase inhale of Co2 -

it should be up to the INDIVIDUAL if they want to mask OR NOT.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here.
to answer about when I wear my mask if I don't when I teach... so I work in a preschool (not as a teacher) and I wear my mask there even though most adults dont (kids dont have to). I wear it in the teachers' room and hallways in the high school where I actually teach even though almost no one wears masks.... so you can't say I should wear it cuz it's the norm. I am not the norm there.
of course I wear in public, stores...even if you're vaccinated you HAVE TO.
I meant why do I wear it in frum group settings even when no one else is. a teacher's meeting. a performance. etc.... but you know what?
thanks for the chizuk. even if others arent following what they should be doing, I am setting an example...

also as a teacher I can get the vaccine but I am nervous to. but you don't need to comment on that because there are other threads on that. lol.

Huh? I'm a teacher. I wear my mask while teaching. The entire time. That's the law, and I am modeling proper behavior to my students.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:04 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Huh? I'm a teacher. I wear my mask while teaching. The entire time. That's the law, and I am modeling proper behavior to my students.

That's good
But at my work you would think corona is over. Plexiglasses on desks were supposed to be in place so masks not needed but they are all destroyed by now. Even 1.of the principals walks around sans mask. The other got vaccinated so I think she is starting to be less careful. I seriously know of only 1 teacher who wears a mask in the high school. That's it.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:45 am
#BestBubby wrote:
A Society without speed limits or stop signs is immediate risk of death or permanent injury.

Given that about 98% recover from Covid, it is NOT a high risk of death or permanent injury.

Also, there are scientific studies that masks do LITTLE or NOTHING to prevent spread of Covid.

And there are studies that masks are DANGEROUS - limit oxygen, increase inhale of Co2 -

That statistic is incorrect. About 98% of people who contract the disease do not die from it. That is not the same as recovering.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:22 am
#BestBubby wrote:

1- there is NOT a 98% recovery rate. Don’t get confused between recovering and surviving.
2- there are scientific studies proving that masks help, idk which science you’re talking about
3- there are studies that prove the exact opposite- that masks don’t limit O2, nor do they increase inhalation of CO2. The reason they did these studies is because of people like you who believed that narishkeit.
4- because of a public health crisis, leaving it up to the individual is selfish and morally off

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:02 am
#BestBubby wrote:

Because 2 is, like, a super small number, right? I mean, if I only had 2 dollars, that wouldn't be a lot of money.

So 2% is a small number, too. Even if we're talking 2% of a population of 7 billion.

FTR, in a society without speed limits or stop signs, traffic deaths are still under 2%. There are plenty of societies you can look at to see that this is the case.

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:05 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Laws that are sensible and have zero agendas, are good. We need law and order.
But with Covid rules, zero sense and lots of agenda. Sad that people can’t see the difference.

Looking at the agenda behind laws, is good.

Deciding that any rules that have "an agenda" (which is all of them) are inherently bad and shouldn't be followed, makes zero sense.

Sad that people can't see the difference.

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:15 am
From before masks became a political issue:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/p.....3-08/

This was real science.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:17 am
Masks were always a political issue.

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:39 am
miami85 wrote:
From before masks became a political issue:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/p.....3-08/

This was real science.

Why would it make sense that the first reaction, before there's any chance to do real research, would be the "real" science?

More time = more research = better results.

In any case, I don't see much of a difference between what was said then, vs now. Fauci didn't want people buying up face masks, because medical providers needed them more. Now there's enough for everyone, so it makes sense for everyone to wear them. Wearing a mask badly while not socially distancing is still more dangerous than not wearing a mask + social distancing, but wearing a mask properly + social distancing is and always has been the ideal and Fauci never denied that.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

It is NOT a law but an "executive order" a UNILATERAL DECREE from the governor without a vote
by the legislature.

seven-up

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:21 am
I honestly don't know if masks work or not. Personally I find them very uncomfortable and I've gone to a store too many times and forgotten my mask having to go back home to get it that I'm very frustrated with the whole concept. I think my community is too strict about the mask issue, insisting that every shul and school mandate masks even if the mispallilim or parent body is against it. However, I have been told (I didn't study the numbers myself, just told from people in the medical field- all frum) that the communities that masked up had a lower percentage of serious illness and long term side effects from Covid. I'm not saying it's the masking up per se, obviously it's simple hishtadlus and Hashem does control the larger picture, but I thought that was pretty telling. Hashem has His cheshbonos but it gets me thinking if something about the masks works- maybe the achdus of the community or the concern shown to others who fear the virus, who knows?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:34 am
ora_43 wrote:
Because 2 is, like, a super small number, right? I mean, if I only had 2 dollars, that wouldn't be a lot of money.

So 2% is a small number, too. Even if we're talking 2% of a population of 7 billion.

FTR, in a society without speed limits or stop signs, traffic deaths are still under 2%. There are plenty of societies you can look at to see that this is the case.

2% of the world population is not DYING from Covid. Many people never even catch Covid or are
asymptomatic.

USA is about 330 million people. 2% would be 6.6 million. Obviously 6.6 Million did not die from
Covid in USA. Even the 500,000 figure is FAKE as they count people who died FROM OTHER CAUSES
as a Covid death if they were Covid positive, including people who die from car accidents or gun shots!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:02 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

You're wrong.

Between 2014 and 2017, about 2 million tickets were issued in NYC for speeding, and another 1.05 million for disobeying a traffic device. So that's about 750,000 a year? And about 250 people die in traffic accidents in NYC each year. So that means that disobeying traffic laws is highly unlikely to kill you.

So why do you think traffic laws are good?

OTOH, we KNOW that more than 1 in every 1000 Americans is DEAD from covid.

And we know that masks help stop the spread of germs.

Of course, there are NO scientific studied stating that wearing a mask is dangerous. But that's a different issue.

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:13 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Why would it make sense that the first reaction, before there's any chance to do real research, would be the "real" science?

More time = more research = better results.

In any case, I don't see much of a difference between what was said then, vs now. Fauci didn't want people buying up face masks, because medical providers needed them more. Now there's enough for everyone, so it makes sense for everyone to wear them. Wearing a mask badly while not socially distancing is still more dangerous than not wearing a mask + social distancing, but wearing a mask properly + social distancing is and always has been the ideal and Fauci never denied that.

Because this isn't the first time "masks" have been around--look around any Chinatown you will see a lot of people wearing masks, and yet it has never been public policy in America.

Show me a study that shows conclusively that wearing a mask has had a direct correlation to viral spread, because I saw a comparison of states with mask mandates and states without mask mandates--and the trajectory was basically the same https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev.....large

I started "wearing a mask" when it was recommended because I thought it would allow us to socialize again and go back to work. But we still were recommended to social-distance, stay outside, wash hands frequently, and contact tracing. In other words, not much changed. Wearing a mask is kind of like why men wear "yarmulkes"--keeps their head focused on G-d. The mask makes you aware of the "pandemic" but is it really protecting you more than anything else? I'm not so sure, and that was NOT how Biden was touting it during the campaign.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:16 pm
miami85 wrote:
Because this isn't the first time "masks" have been around--look around any Chinatown you will see a lot of people wearing masks, and yet it has never been public policy in America.

Masks were legalized in NY due to the pandemic. But it wasn't as necessary before.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics