Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Strep in Babies

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:23 pm
My 4 year old daughter tested positive for strep 2 days ago and now my 10 month old baby is exhibiting strep symptoms: fever, refusal to nurse, drooling...
My question is, if a baby tests positive for strep do you need to treat it with antibiotics?
Will call pediatrician tomorrow....

Thnx!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:52 pm
My pediatrician says it’s very unusual for an infant to get strep, even with significant exposure.

tweety1

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
My pediatrician says it’s very unusual for an infant to get strep, even with significant exposure.

Not very unusual at all. My baby had strept at just abt abt yr old with a very high blood count. Bloodwork showed bacterial strep. Strep has been going around in my house and my baby caught it from them. The drs claim that strep under 2 is unusual for it to be harmful, but in my babies case it had to be treated.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:37 pm
It is very rare, but it can happen. When my baby was 6 weeks old--right before I went back to work, somehow I got strep (I'd barely left the house and none of my other kids had it), and my baby had a fever. We took him to the hospital and despite me saying that I recently had strep, they kept saying "infants don't get strep", all tests came back negative so they sent us home, a few days later I got a call from my pediatrician that his non-rapid came back positive for strep so they treated him with antibiotics.

pizzapie

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:48 pm
Actually I dont believe that strep is rare in babies. At one point I took my baby to the ER for high fever. I asked if they would run a throat culture since we'd had strep in the house. The dr told me that they generally wouldn't treat babies for strep because it's extremely rare for babies to have complications from a strep throat (such as rheumatic fever).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:53 pm
My baby under 2 was treated with antibiotics for strept cause she spread it too all her siblings

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:06 pm
pizzapie wrote:
Actually I dont believe that strep is rare in babies. At one point I took my baby to the ER for high fever. I asked if they would run a throat culture since we'd had strep in the house. The dr told me that they generally wouldn't treat babies for strep because it's extremely rare for babies to have complications from a strep throat (such as rheumatic fever).

This is correct. Infants can have strep but it's usually not treated since complications from strep in children don't really occur under the age of 2, so it's treated like a virus to resolve on it's own. There are circumstances where they may treat it, for example, if the baby is the one spreading it to the older children.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:25 pm
Strep is a reallllly weird pathogen these days and I would absolutely treat it even in a 10 month old.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:46 pm
My son had strep with no symptoms as a nine month old, which turned into a raging infection traveling up one side of his body, requiring hospitalization. He needed intravenous antibiotics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics