Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
If you used to be a hopeless mess...
Previous  1  2

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:20 pm
That’s definitely me! What works for me is becoming as minimalistic as possible. I throw away things very easily. I am CONSTANTLY decluttering. When you have little kids who bring home projects and prizes almost daily, you start to realize and accept that decluttering needs to occur on a continuous basis.

Some things I ask myself when deciding what to keep are “would I want someone to see this after I die?” I know that sounds awful but it really helps me declutter and let go of things when I think about someone else going through my stuff!

Owning as little as possible is key.

Donate toys your kids don’t play with.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:42 pm
I'm still a hopeless mess, but definitely improved.

I *LOVE* Dana White (A Slob Comes Clean - blog) and her books. She is funny and explains WHY I am this way. If you are going to read anything, go through these: https://www.aslobcomesclean.co.....-out/

Knowing how I work has really helped me in small ways that make a big difference.

The tips upthread are very helpful, but in my worst state it wasn't tips I needed, it was understanding and a way to work with who I am.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:57 pm
I am not super organized or disorganized, but I've found Jordan Page on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIBM8DAHoehmJ7_LSLDkB3A) and she has a ton of good ideas. She has 8 kids and has many tips on organization/productivity/budgeting...
She also happens to be very entertaining Smile
Her blog is www.funcheaporfree.com

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Not to derail- but I wound think that people who are disorganized, also have trouble making the time for organizing.
I have lots of ideas about organizing, but I can’t find the 10-15 minutes a day to work on it.
I know everyone says just a few minutes a day but I just can’t.
So I’m wondering if others are in the same boat- lots of ideas for organizing but can’t make it happen?

That's why I posted those books. Listening help me get organized, like I had a coach with me. I would have been embarrassed to get a live person. I actually started in my laundry room with laundry and worked out from there

It got easier for me as my kids got older. It is very hard to keep house with little ones, diapers, messy eating, laundry, toys and STUFF all over. During this past year it was probably even tougher for you.

I was a mess in my house. I picked one manageable place to be organized and that, plus audiobooks helped me tackle more until I felt less disorganized.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:53 pm
I wish someone could help me with my clothes closet. I can throw out anything, dishes we don't need, decor that starts to bother me, we give away toys all the time, getting rid of kids clothes, except my own clothes. I kind of just wish I had the guts to pick out what I wear and have somebody get rid of the rest when I'm not looking. I have so many pieces that I love that I want to still fit into. I know it's denial. And because these are my treasures that I amassed after living in hand me downs growing up.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 2:12 am
Still a slob but I love A Slob Comes Clean. She shows you her cabinet and then cleans it with you showing you how to use her steps in a practical way. She has helped me clean out closets, cabinets etc. still have to do the rest of the apartment but I am blaming covid (yes, still taking precautions including no play dates so kids home whenever there isn't school...) and that I have to work full full time. So I am tired every evening. Oh, and I blame my husband (just a little?) as he is also a slob but won't admit it and barely helps with the cleaning... That's a story for another day.
Her system in short:
Go to space. Bring a trash bag and a donatable donate box. Throw out obvious trash. There always is obvious trash.
Next, pick up an item. If you know where it really belongs, take it there now. No piles for later. No keep boxes.
If you don't have a spot for it, and no- right there on the floor is not a spot- ask yourself if you needed it, would you know you have it? Where would you look for it? Go. Bring it there. If you won't know you have it or have no spot- you won't miss it and just toss. Or donate, if you will actually bring it there.
It has helped me a lot.
Still a long way to go but I haven't had the time or energy to go through every cabinet, drawer and random spot that collects trash and "stuff". One day I will get through it all. And start over again 😀. Less painful than Konmarie.
She also has systems like laundry day, dishwasher daily... I can't do it like her but it puts me in the mindset...
I felt Fly Lady was too advanced for me. I can't shine my sink if I have too many dirty dishes! I can't mop my floors if I have to find them first... Hiding

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:59 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I wish someone could help me with my clothes closet. I can throw out anything, dishes we don't need, decor that starts to bother me, we give away toys all the time, getting rid of kids clothes, except my own clothes. I kind of just wish I had the guts to pick out what I wear and have somebody get rid of the rest when I'm not looking. I have so many pieces that I love that I want to still fit into. I know it's denial. And because these are my treasures that I amassed after living in hand me downs growing up.

If people are keeping clothing that is too small, they should give themselves a few months to get back to that size (while taking the necessary steps) and if it still doesn't fit, realize how big of a mitzvah it is for someone else to be able to enjoy it.
Part of being able to part with things is the hope that it can make someone else happy.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:07 am
I thought I was a hopeless mess but then I got a new kitchen with plenty of cupboards. It makes all the difference in the world when there's actually places to put things away. I'm now waiting for a new closet to be delivered to rooms that don't have them. If there's nowhere to put things it's very hard to stay organized.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And now you are able to maintain a neat, organized environment, what helped you?
What book or system have actually worked for you long term?
Looking for help with organization, time management, procrastination, motivation, etc. Thanks!
ETA: If you are born organized, your systems may not help me. People like me (distracted slobs) are wired differently than born organizers.

A post here which said "you either have to clean up as you go, or do a big clean up at the end of the day. There is no magic option other than that." For some reason, that was very clear to me.

I also frequently get rid of lots of stuff, so I have less to clean. I try to pile the whole category of item in front of me, ask myself what I really need, and then get rid of everything else.

Lastly, though I've gotten worse at this, if you use the theory that you only want to touch something once, then you don't just drop it down, you put it away only back in its place. And then you don't have to come back to clean it up later.

PS - I alsofound I was bored, and I never wanted to finish cleaning because I didn't know what I would do, and I hated it getting messy again. Now I have a life, and it's worth it to me to keep my house clean so I have time to do other things.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics