Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
ATTN Special education teachers/ therapists

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:19 pm
Need help ASAP! What do I do with my SEIT student that hits me and hurts other children in the classroom?

Tried everything, teacher lets her get away with it most of the time....

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:22 pm
How old is the child? Have you tried a token economy?

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:49 pm
I would read lost in school which is the version of the explosive child that is for teachers. His model has done fantastic things for my son who gets agreasive.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:59 pm
lfab wrote:
How old is the child? Have you tried a token economy?

5, yes didn't work

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:00 pm
Scheduled sensory breaks?
Do some deep pressure exercises (wall or chair push-ups)
Hand squeezes, head presses, self-hugs

Not to use in the moment when the child is upset/worked up/hitting. But scheduled throughout the day to provide the same kind of input that hitting does. It does depend what leads the kiddo to hit. What is upsetting him/her?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:43 am
You need to start by identifying the possible triggers. You should keep a log of what happened just before the incident, the incident and then what was done about it. This should hopefully bring up a pattern.
Not all children do have known triggers, it could be something that is happening earlier in the day, and that might make it more difficult to establish.
When the child is calm, can you discuss how they're feeling and why they want to hit? Some children are very aware and can explain the why.
You need to work on emotional regulation and the ideal is to try and pre-empt the episodes. If you can see the trigger, or you can see they are about to kick off, you need to catch it then.
Identify calming strategies that help. The 5 point scale might be useful if they're aware of their feelings and you can plan for activities that will support each level of escalation.
And the most important thing is to have everyone on board with the same consistent approach, otherwise it will not work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics