Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Winter coat for babies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:21 am
I am thinking of a new item of clothes for babies. So is it possible to know, when you put a coat on to go out with your baby (especially when it is cold out) do you put a full all in one coat on your baby or do you just put a jacket on and does one of them keep babies legs and feet warmer then the other?
Many thanks in advance

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:31 am
Are you talking about out ina stroller or in the car?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:47 am
I am talking about when you put a coat on your baby as you are about to go out. I am more interested in the kind of coat you put on your baby more than whether you are going in the car or in a stroller.

mfb

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am talking about when you put a coat on your baby as you are about to go out. I am more interested in the kind of coat you put on your baby more than whether you are going in the car or in a stroller.

For some people it makes a difference what they will put on
If you want answers it usually helps to answer the people trying to get a clearer picture of what you want.

English3

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:22 am
Here in London most put on a short coat the full ones are old-fashioned. Unless you get the muff on it

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:26 am
For the car a coat for the stroller a full snowsuit. This is only till like 6 months. From 6 months, a coat and footmuff.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:36 am
For a baby: either theyre going into the car where I use a fleece sweatshirt (sometimes full body)+ blanket or carseat cover. In the stroller we have one of those cozy bags so just a coat for her top half is enough

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:52 am
I don’t know what ‘ out’ means. Nor do I know the weather where you are. Also age of the baby matters greatly.

When I take my baby ‘out’ I mean I NYC winter, in a stroller. My baby is an infant so I use a snowsuit covered in blanket on the bassinet

If you give more specifics we can advise better

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:26 am
I am very confused. But I will say: I do use a JJ cole bundle-me until the baby is too big for an infant carseat. I use a snap and go style stroller when out and about. The whole carseat goes into the car and comes back into the house. After baby outgrows that, I buy a regular coat for the baby.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:34 am
When my children were babies I remember putting on them a long coat covering their whole body and it took quite some time but I put that on them because I wanted to keep them as warm as can be.
I thought of an idea how a baby can be kept warm and it would not take long at all for the mother to put it on her baby but I was thinking of a snowsuit or a full body coat in two parts so that top and bottom of baby is covered.

What do you think?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When my children were babies I remember putting on them a long coat covering their whole body and it took quite some time but I put that on them because I wanted to keep them as warm as can be.
I thought of an idea how a baby can be kept warm and it would not take long at all for the mother to put it on her baby but I was thinking of a snowsuit or a full body coat in two parts so that top and bottom of baby is covered.

What do you think?

They have snowsuits like that. One part is like overalls and the other is short coat. Worn together or separately

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What do you think?

Cool idea. Personally, I treat my babies like regular people. They need a coat just like you and I and my older kids need a coat. They don't need any special EXTRA warm contraptions.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:57 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Cool idea. Personally, I treat my babies like regular people. They need a coat just like you and I and my older kids need a coat. They don't need any special EXTRA warm contraptions.

For me the difference between adults/kids and (young babies in a strollers) is that they are no expending energy and thereby gaining warmth. And with the stroller they over experience a lot of wind. But I suppose it depends how much time you spend outside. I don’t live in a car culture. We are pedestrian here and spend hours outside

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
For me the difference between adults/kids and (young babies in a strollers) is that they are no expending energy and thereby gaining warmth. And with the stroller they over experience a lot of wind. But I suppose it depends how much time you spend outside. I don’t live in a car culture. We are pedestrian here and spend hours outside

Yeah. I hear that. I don't live in a place that requires lots of walking. I drive everywhere. Makes sense.

Teomima

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It definitely depends on what you mean by "out". It's not safe to put a baby in a coat in a car seat so when traveling by car I prefer to bundle the baby with blankets rather than spend time with the car door open putting on and off a coat.

In the stroller babies can easily overheat, especially if they're protected from wind and rain with a cover, so I prefer layers, like thick sweaters, blankets, and one of those sleeping-bag style covers that they're buckled right in to.

In a carrier they need everything covered, including legs, so a full body suit is best, though again nothing too warm because even though they need to be protected, there's still a risk of overheating since your body warmth keeps them so warm.

So what do you mean by "out"?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:26 am
Teomima wrote:
It definitely depends on what you mean by "out". It's not safe to put a baby in a coat in a car seat so when traveling by car I prefer to bundle the baby with blankets rather than spend time with the car door open putting on and off a coat.

In the stroller babies can easily overheat, especially if they're protected from wind and rain with a cover, so I prefer layers, like thick sweaters, blankets, and one of those sleeping-bag style covers that they're buckled right in to.

In a carrier they need everything covered, including legs, so a full body suit is best, though again nothing too warm because even though they need to be protected, there's still a risk of overheating since your body warmth keeps them so warm.

So what do you mean by "out"?

I have. A special coat, a down jacket with an included panel to accommodate the carrier so when I wear my baby in the ergo he’s only in a light jacket since he’s also covered by the down

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:57 am
Thank you for all your responses. I think I will give that idea a miss. If you don't mind my picking your brains for one other product also for babies.
When you are out with baby in a car seat and baby soils his diaper, how do you change his diaper?
Do you change him in the car or in a stroller or some other way?

Teomima

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I have. A special coat, a down jacket with an included panel to accommodate the carrier so when I wear my baby in the ergo he’s only in a light jacket since he’s also covered by the down

I never saw one of those until I was done having babies but boy was I jealous. It would have made my life so much easier.

Teomima

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all your responses. I think I will give that idea a miss. If you don't mind my picking your brains for one other product also for babies.
When you are out with baby in a car seat and baby soils his diaper, how do you change his diaper?

Wherever you are. If you're in the car then yeah lay the baby flat on the back seat. If you're out with the stroller then in the stroller, laid flat. If it's not too cold or wet out and you're by a bench then on that.

What's the product you're considering?

Are these things you're considering buying for your baby, or are you using us to test marketing for ideas of yours?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would try to find a bathroom with a changing if disaster is imminent. If not, I would lay the baby down on the seat of the car and change them there while I am standing outside the car with the door open. Or if the baby is still small enough, on my lap, with a changing pad, while sitting in the car.

If disaster is not imminent, I wait until I get home to deal with it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics